Notices

Beginning again today

Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is my third day without a drink. Every since yesterday I've been craving a drink but I'm not going to cave in. I had a great opportunity today to drink but did not. I'm on vacation from work all this week so I went to go and visit my mother who lives about six miles away. I didn't have my wife or kids with me so it would have been really easy to stop off at a bar before I went home. I must have counted at least 12 bars I could have stopped off at to down a few bourbon and cokes. I thought about it for a few minutes and then started thinking of my family a home waiting for me. I'm proud to say that I drove straight home and have been home every since. Today I faced the temptation and won. Tomorrow I will face it again. I'm glad I have this forum to come to. This forum is one of the main reason why I'm fighting so hard this time. It helps knowing we support each other in our sobriety. That is very important. Still haven't given up on AA. I may still go.
Scott
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's great Scott! Keep working it (one day at a time)...... The cravings will come and go and sometimes it can get uncomfortable, but it really does get easier as you go along.

I agree about this forum - it really helps to have company on this journey!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
That's great Scott! Keep working it (one day at a time)...... The cravings will come and go and sometimes it can get uncomfortable, but it really does get easier as you go along.

I agree about this forum - it really helps to have company on this journey!
Thank you Artsoul (love that name Yes, I will keep working it Yes, I'm sure the temptations will get MUCH stronger in the future but like I said earlier, this time I have support from people who know exactly what it's like to be an alcoholic. It's hard to take advice from people have haven't had to fight this.
Scott
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Scott,

I myself, have been 23 days sober. I just really got sick of living like I had been. It wasn't easy the first couple of weeks, but after I made it through, I felt like I could finally see again. Looking back it feels like I had been tricked into thinking that life with alcohol was better. Yeah, it's not - it was dreadful. I can't begin to describe how it feels not having something control me.
For myself, I think I was at a really low point, so the desire to drink was fairly low. Certain things that were happening in my life really shook me up and forced me to face what was going on and where I was headed.
I haven't been going to AA, and I've been doing just fine. I did read the AVRT thread about the addictive voice and all of that, but I don't feel it is the reason that I was able to abstain. I haven't felt the need to commit to an alcoholic recovery plan (except within myself), and so far that works for me. My fiance is also extremely supportive and I think that is one of the reasons that I have been doing well. The first couple of weeks were hard (especially the 2nd one), and he was there to support me when I was feeling weak. However, I am only 23 days sober, so take all of that with a grain of salt. AA works for A LOT of people, and AVRT helps many recovering alcoholics as well. Whatever you do, make sure that you have some kind of strong support, and if you fall off the wagon or can't do it yourself, make sure that you look into finding something that works for you. Therapy might be useful as well, and that's just one-on-one... maybe you could talk to a therapist about recovery options.
Keep in mind that it gets alot easier after those first couple of weeks!

Best of luck,
Kat
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you Kat. I know it will get much harder and I will need a strong support system. So far this forum is helping me a lot. I have been to a one on one therapist before but had to stop because it was getting too expensive even though my insurance paid for most of it. I had gotten my self in a financial hole from drinking to the point where I couldn't even afford the co pay...pretty pathetic huh? Yes, I still haven't given up on going to AA and or trying one of the other suggestions I've gotten from this forum. I guess I'm just waiting for when the real temptation hits. I'm only on the third day. I guess I'm mentally preparing myself for the real battle now. I'm really glad I found this place. You guys are great.
Scott
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh...and Congratulations on 23 days Kat! Very Inspiring