Notices

How I am staying sober today and forever.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

How I am staying sober today and forever.

I have decided that I need to quit drinking. That is a fact (you can read my first post). Alcohol just cannot be a part of my life anymore. It just doesn't work.

Already my mind is saying "just one last drink" "a goodbye drink" etc...stupid thoughts. Last time I tried to quit drinking I thought I'd order myself my favorite drink and have it as a goodbye drink as a sort of ceremony of quitting. I thought it would be a way of making official...preempting my addictive voice that would soon say "you know...you never had that goodbye-drink." That's right. I actually thought that drinking another drink would help me quit drinking. How stupid! Even if I did have that "goodbye drink," I would have some other thought instead to make me want to drink.

My mind is already beckoning for a "goodbye drink"...this time I am calling BS on that voice and making the decision to not drink. I like that . Just need to keep doing that over and over again.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

with time, that addiction voice speaks up less and less~~~
Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My 'last hurrahs' never worked out well.

They almost always meant a few more days, weeks, or once, even a few more months of drinking.

You know what drinking does for you. This time won't be different

You've decided to change your life - run with it Colton - start now

D
Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay strong Colton!! Break your current routine a little and shake things up a bit. It helps to fight the urge to drink if you aren't doing the same ol' things that you were doing while drinking. I've found this to be the best advice, especially in the beginning of the quitting/staying quit cycle.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Colton, why don't you go to AA ?

Wishing you the best

Bob R
Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you're making a great decision to not go for the goodbye drink. I had myself fooled into thinking I'll have a goodbye drink....well it turned out that I had 10+ goodbye drinks every single night for months. It's so easy to fall into the trap of "one more day won't hurt" mentality
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

In my early days of not drinking and when I heard that in my head, I would tell it, "maybe tomorrow I'll have that drink, let's try not to drink today." It has worked for about 9 months now....I don't have to say that anymore, but in the beginning, it was necessary.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
In my early days of not drinking and when I heard that in my head, I would tell it, "maybe tomorrow I'll have that drink, let's try not to drink today." It has worked for about 9 months now....I don't have to say that anymore, but in the beginning, it was necessary.
I'm glad you don't have to say that anymore, Sugarbear, glad that it is no longer necessary. Huge congrats on your 9 months! Its great that we change as we go forward with our sober journey.

@ Colton

I hope as your sobriety moves forward you have more resources at hand than just saying no to drinking. I tried just saying no, with nothing else working for me, and it worked until it didn't and drunk I got yet again. Check out the forums here -- plenty of recovery examples to think on how to make use of for yourself. The way to sobriety is a wonderous journey.

Best.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Yup. To not drink (when one is addicted to alcohol) is a great thing. I think of it like it is my own little garden of goodness. I am always pulling weeds. Those weeds never seem to stop intruding, so I have to tend to it every day. The cool thing is that the garden yields such wonderful fruit, even unexpectedly.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for making the decision to stop drinking! Please know you will find lots of support here.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New User

You can do it, and I second trying an AA meeting. They work!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New User

You can do it, and I second trying an AA meeting. They work!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can't even remember what my last drink was but I'm pretty sure it was a good beer. I remember my last hangover. It's been over a hundred days since then. That alcohol voice is a crafty SOB but he doesn't usually have much to say when I'm enjoying not having a hangover. You'll love it. Quit now. Use whatever tools you need. I like SR, it's all that I've used to stay sober. Everyone is different. Whatever it takes to just not take another drink.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Colton
I found reading the Big Book very helpful, also doing the online course on AVRT was invaluable.

I found it was really rough for a good while. Finding a way to stay committed is vital. I loved the daily support thread I joined.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Try everything and see what works for you. Read about different methods, the big book, and anything you can relate to that has a story of recovery. Clapton's autobiography had a big impact on me in the early days of not drinking.

Good luck,