Notices

alcohol calories vs. food calories

Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol calories vs. food calories

What is usually the recomended way to replace alcohol calories with food calories? When one goes into a detox in a medical setting, do they replace the alcohol calories immediately?

Granted many probably tack on the liquor calories on top of the food calories and dont bother watching. Ive always tried to keep my weight in check, so part of my sickness was that I subtracted the liquor calories from my daily caloric needs and ate only the difference in food.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was never sober enough to figure that out. I know I drank more than I ate.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This might depend on the severity of the alcohol abuse one is withdrawing from. For me, each time I've gone off the drink I am constantly hungry, constantly craving carbs and sugar. This most recent time, I experimented by having a few bags of candy nearby in the evenings, to replace the sugar I wasn't getting with the alcohol. Surprisingly, it has seemed to help some, but I haven't lost as much weight this time as I usually do. Go figure. lol
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I got sober I gained weight unfortunately cause I ate tons and tons of desserts. Things I hadn't eaten in years. Sugar must be worse for your waistline than booze in my case at least.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never bothered much myself - but I know CarolD suggests this

In early sobriety....with my doctors ok....I followed the eating plan
for hypoglycemia I found in the book
"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

I consider that was immensley useful and I rather quickly got
back in balance physically and mentally....

Many years later...I became a Type 2 diabetic.
Simlar eating is what is recommended.
It's probably best to see your Dr or a nutritionist to work out a strategy tailored to your individual needs, notwell

D
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The calories in alcohol are empty. They don't need replacing as such. it is recommended that you try and follow a healthy diet when you quit.Like F355, I also craved carbs and sugar, though am on verge of T2 diabetes. I suppose when you stop those empty calories that's why some people lose weight when they quit drinking. I suppose eating habits, as drinking habits vary. I ate high stodge food to cure hangovers so have stopped this. I know some people eat very little so do need to start eating again.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

justhadenough is bang on.

Calories are just units of energy. Once you quit your body will make you eat the right amount. Whether a former drinker or not you're better off avoiding refined carbs, especially sugar. You can satisfy your sweet tooth with fruit. Beans, lentils and whole grains are a good way of getting carbs (beans more so if you have weight to lose).

The term hypoglycaemic is completely misunderstood and misused by most people. If you feel ill when delaying or skipping a meal, it's your body detoxing at a time when blood sugar has safely dropped.

Of course, you can't take my word for this, you'd need to see someone qualified before making an dietary changes.