Notices

New.....Scared.....Pregnant

Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New.....Scared.....Pregnant

Hi All
I hope I am posting this properly and in the right location! I'm a newbie!

Anyway, I am a 35 year old female. Single, no kids, support myself with a decent job. 8 year serious alcoholic. Starting early 2011 I started to see a new doctor and did not share my alcohol addiction with him, but did share my intense anxiety. After an off the charts bp reading I was prescribed Welbutrin 300 mg, Xanax up to 4 mg daily as needed, and atenolol for hypertension. I took all scripts and continued to drink daily.

2 months ago I went on a 3 day alcohol binge, my worst ever. ( boy troubles..so silly). Anyway, after the binge I expected to go back to work with a mild hangover ( I typically do not get hung over though ) and what happened instead was serious alcohol withdrawal. I tried to white knuckle it for 2 days, but when the DT's started, I couldn't take it any more. I fessed up to my doctor, refused to be hospitalized and he agreed to let me do outpatient detox. I was prescribed Librium 50 mg 3 x daily, the Xanax 1 mg to sleep (at that point I hadn't slept for 3 days straight) and the atenolol to control blood pressure. I took all the drugs responsibly, didn't drink and once the terrible withdrawals subsided I tapered off of the Librium, who has of yesterday I am at 25 mg, 1x daily.

Today I found out during a regular yearly GYN exam that I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am freaking out. No father in the picture.

Has anyone here had personal experience with early term pregnancy alcohol withdrawal/ drug use or know someone who has? I thank you in advance for reading this and/ or responding.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Oh Maggie, I have no advice but I want to give you a big HUG! I hope someone here can give you some advice. If not go to a dr and be honest....maybe that GYN....My heart truly feels for you!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maggie

No experience here, being a guy but I encourage you to speak with a Dr about your concerns.

They should be do whatever tests they do and be able to reassure you that everythings ok

Glad you've joined us - and congratulations!

D
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself and address your concerns with your doctor.

What happens in one circumstance does not necessarily mean you will have the same outcome. That's not saying it is bad, or good, or somewhere in between, but that I find it best to work with the experts in this situation.

For your own peace of mind, ask your doctor now that you have had some time to absorb the situation and form some questions that come to you, and don't rely on a friend of a friend of a friend story to predict the future.

You are early on; talk to the doctor.

All my best....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for the support. I am a bit too terrified and overwhelmed to go back to the GYN ( he is a conservative strict Catholic ) so I am going to look into other physicians. Not just yet though.....I am still marinating in the mess I've made.

I was just so excited that i emerged from the hell of the withdrawal i went through (those who have been there know exactly what I mean...DTs are no joke) and kept sober for 2 months. My two months of sobriety included compliments from others on how good I looked, my body started to function properly and I was able to eat good, nutritious food again. Health was running through my system and it was the beSt high I have ever had.

Now I feel like I have taken a million steps back. I am back into seemingly inescapable problems. I want to drink more than ever. I just so regretful for what I have done and scared of the consequences that lie ahead.

Thanks for reading/ listening and my thoughts and well wishes go out to any others who are suffering tonight.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Maggie301 View Post
Today I found out during a regular yearly GYN exam that I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am freaking out.
Alcohol detox can affect the fetus, so typically, inpatient detox is the recommended route there, but too late for that. So, go back to your GYN and tell them what is going on. Two months for alcohol detox seems rather extreme to me - it should only take about five days. You want to get off those benzodiazepines as quickly as possible, but you also want the GYN to make sure that everything is OK.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, also sending you a big hug

I have some experience. I was a daily drinker (wine) and one day just could not drink my glass of wine-never happened before. I was pregnant though didn't know it then. I was lucky as I had very very bad sickness so didn't want to drink though how much of the sickness was WDs or morning sickness I really don't know

I'm so sorry you've found yourself in his position. Even if you haven't decided what to do please start high strength taking folic acid-this is really important in pregnancy but more so for people who have been drinking as alcohol depletes the folic acid you do have. Please see your doc asap for health reasons and proper advice re your pregnancy, even if you look for another doc to discuss other issues with. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Maggie, I just wanted to you & wish you & your baby the very best. May you have a healthy baby & safe delivery.

Please see a doctor ASAP so that they can help you through this.

Take Care ~ NB
Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You'll not drink for as long as you're pregnant, but your head will be mighty entertaining.

Alcoholic women most often get a free ride during pregnancy, even those who ordinarily can't go a week. The emotion meds will keep reality at bay well enough to get through this period and then you can return to what is normal for you.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I am about to admit something big here. I had just gone to rehab for coke and alcohol when I was 35. Immediately got pregnant afterwards. Started drinking again one month after I found out I was pregnant (bad relationship with father - got married to him right out of rehab, and went through an extremely abusive relationship for over 15 years. Sober for 8 years, drank for 2, sober for 9 years - ended up leaving Atlanta and moving to Austin to escape him four years ago)-scared and lonely once in Austin, started drinking again for 4 years - now 6 months sober. Whoops didn't mean for this to be about me.

Bottom line, stop drinking right now and see a doctor asap. Although my baby was born healthy, the shame, horror and hate for myself during that pregnancy almost killed me. Please don't make yourself go through that. I wish I could hug you.

Please stop drinking asap, and get to a doctor.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board and my sincere best wishes for a good outcome!

You need to find a new OB/Gyn immediately. A judgmental religious OB is the last thing anybody needs. If the doctor's attitude is scaring you and putting you and your baby's health in danger, get on the phone and find a nice new stranger. Bye-bye Dr. Scowlyface!!

If your insurance prevents that, find a free women's health clinic or general drop-in clinic.

Pre-natal vitamins have lots of trace minerals and folate which your body needs.

And keep posting!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maggie,
As a mother I can only tell you how important it is to tell a doctor your situation. There are things that they can do early on to assess the situation. Go see any doctor asap. They are usually very non-judgemental and will commend you for handling the situation appropriately. We are here for you.
Hugs,
Kat
Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. It really means alot to me. Going through this alone is not easy.

Wednesday is my day off and I am going to see a GYN that my friend recommended. I am trying very hard to not borrow trouble and stay calm until then. Its hard.

I am not drinking and have not had a drink since January 21st. I don't physically crave it, I just desire the ability to temporarily escape the pain. I am going to try to stay as busy as possible and figure out ways to not cry on the train on my way to work or at my desk in between client meetings.

Its weird, I have seen people cry in public before and it always facinated me. I've seen people do it on the street, in a diner and on the bus...just crying in a crowded room alone. I could never understand what could possibly be that wrong to break down so visibly in public. Now I understand.

Again, thank you. You are all very selfless to reach out to a person crying in public; its hard to look at.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Maggie

We are all here for you-please don't feel you are alone. Do you have a friend who can go with you to your doc on Weds?

Congrats on staying off the booze since Jan-you can stay off it. There is loads of support on SR.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Just
I really dont want anyone with me on Wed. I have told two people in my life, my mother and my friend. My friend is "so excited"(ugh) and my mother said she cant't sleep since I told her, so I feel so regretful and selfish for causing my mom any suffering. I just feel like Godzilla walking through the city and smashing everything and causing so much trouble....(except I'm only 5'6" and not green)

I'll be okay, and I really appreciate the support. I am going to stick around here, it calms me.
Thanks.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Maggie,

It's good you have been able to speak with someone about it. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maggie,

I am so glad that you quit drinking, have an appt with your gyn. , and have a Mom and friend you can talk to. Please keep posting and let us know how you are! Take care.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

You're an adult. You're going to be okay. Be totally honest with all of your doctors. My 24 year old friend relapsed and is now back, in your shoes. You will be able to help me help her!

You can stay stopped! I'm excited for you. You CAN do this!!!!