Notices

Self-esteem

Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self-esteem

My self-esteem is completely shot. I know that addiction and low self-esteem go hand in hand, but here is my question. Will it ever recover? Will I ever have a normal self-esteem? I never thought I'd be as low as I am right now. I feel lower than whale ****. My own family is ****** to me. If you asked me before I drank if I would ever feel this low I'd say no way possible. I used to have friends and a self-esteem, but everything is gone.

I go to AA and I have had the spiritual experience. My mind is open. I have worked with one sponsor, but relapsed. I need to get back on the wagon, but I seriously just want to know if I am ever going to recover my self-esteem. I don't even feel like a human being right now.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will recover your self esteem Slayer - but you need to stop drinking first, I think.

Drinking really skewed my perception of myself and the world and other people - it was so ingrained in me it actually took me a few months after I quit before those perceptions began to turn around.

Get back into recovery and stay there Slayer - do the work - and I guarantee you'll see some changes

D
Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
My self-esteem is completely shot. I know that addiction and low self-esteem go hand in hand, but here is my question. Will it ever recover? Will I ever have a normal self-esteem? I never thought I'd be as low as I am right now. I feel lower than whale ****. My own family is ****** to me. If you asked me before I drank if I would ever feel this low I'd say no way possible. I used to have friends and a self-esteem, but everything is gone.

I go to AA and I have had the spiritual experience. My mind is open. I have worked with one sponsor, but relapsed. I need to get back on the wagon, but I seriously just want to know if I am ever going to recover my self-esteem. I don't even feel like a human being right now.
Been there done that. Like Dee said, stay on the beam, this too shall pass.

Do you have an AA sponsor now?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yep- like 2GD sez- get a sponsor . Then work the steps . There's where i began to truly 'recover' my sense of self worth.... There is a very very valid reason we say "we will live ya til you learn to love yourself..."

hugs
Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, your self esteem can come back. The longer you stay sober the better it will get. Working the steps of AA can really help too, especially when you can be of service to others.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, your self esteem can come back. The longer you stay sober the better it will get. Working the steps of AA can really help too, especially when you can be of service to others.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My self esteem is starting to feel a lot better... day 17, 18? Finally feeling happy and o.k. about being a normal person w/o alcohol/drugs
Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
God Augmented

It took me a few months before I started to get comfortable with myself...I still struggle at times. The tipping point was definitely doing the work in AA, through the work I began to feel of use to other people and a sense of purpose in my community.

Being of service to others is so underrated, under-emphasised, when I'm by myself feeling victimized and of no service to anyone my self esteem starts to fall apart again but as soon as I talk to another drunk or help someone or admit wrong doing or simply engaging in conversation and truly listening is when I feel like I am apart of the world and I get a feeling of elation, self worth.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To have self-esteem you have to make "esteemable" acts. Start by going to AA, get a sponsor and focus on sobriety.