Notices

Were You Ever A Social Drinker?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
When I look back at around 25 years of drinking I can honestly say...hell no...I never was.
I used to say "If you guys are drinking... so shall I"

Does that make me a social drinker ?? .....
Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, drinking started as a social thing... but then quickly progressed to something I'd do in isolation.

One of my main excuses I used to justify my drinking for so long was that it helped me to looses up in social situations. But 90% of the time I drank I was alone!

So much for that theory...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I did my "best" drinking when I was alone at home. I also thought that I needed alcohol in order to be social, but most of the time I ended up drinking more than I should've and acted stupidly. So eventually I just socialized less and less.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I loved it right from the beginning. Loved the way it seemed to make all my problems disappear. If one could make me feel good, then 10 would make me feel great.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No. I was definitely not a social drinker. From the very start the whole point was consuming as much alcohol as possible. I guess you could say I hit the ground running
Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Not for very long... allthough the first 25 years l was very sociable when drinking...
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Not really. When I started drinking as a teenager with my friends our goal was to always get drunk.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
God Augmented

No.

It was ALWAYS about the effect right from the first time it touched my lips. Wether I was drinking cocktails with friends in clubs or rubbing alcohol with homeless dudes in the park. As long as I was getting intoxicated that was all I cared about.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had times when I drank socially, but I was just thinking about this last night and can think of nights that make me cringe from early on in my drinking career. While I could have a modest amount and be in control when I had to(I had one white knuckle driving experience that had me swear off ever driving after more than 2 drinks over a long evening), I would drink for the buzz.

However, I agree that most people do drink for the effect, even if some only have a little. As was stated, let's face it, alcohol is a mood altering substance. But yes, I would always notice those who would leave half a glass of wine at a restaurant. Wondered how? But them the frugal Yankee in me wonders how as well, after spending $9 on it! I take extra food home if I do not finish, so leaving anything like that would seem foolish to me anyway.

But, I have to be honest and say I can recall far too many regettable nights from early on in my drinking years, even if intially few and far between. For many years I controlled it effortlessly though. Never considered or cared about a drink unless I went out, for example. I would not have a drink after work, or that sort of thing. That started after I took a wine tsting class, and I really could enjy just a glass or two(and small tasting glass) back in the day.

It got out of control after some personal stuff got out of my control, and I was self-medicating big time. Maybe 7 years ago, now.

I do still come back around to the fact that alot of people were drinking with me, getting drunk and doing stupid things, and have gone on in life to not have any long term drinking problems. So, not all of it means alcoholic. Sometimes everyone just does stupid stuff, especially when young!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I drank socially with others who were drinking to get drunk.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yes. Every time my social circle consisted entirely of fall down drunks, we all drank the same.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Never

When I first started going out and drinking at parties at around 14, I would majorly binge on anything I could find, until I blacked out. As an adult, I do this with beer, but avoid hard-liquor and wine. Now, I'm trying to avoid all of it, lol.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'd drink during every opportunity.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Never was a social drinker. I still remember the first time I drank - I thought "where has this been all of my life? This is great!!!!" And it progressed from there. Little did I know that years later I would be thinking "what has happened to my life?" Alcohol and drugs really did a number on me.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yes, I was. I didn't even like drinking at first, I had to force myself to drink. And it never really interested me unless I was at a party.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I was never a social drinker, the only time i would have a few drinks would be if i was unable to get anymore!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I only drank alone, or when I was with someone.

Or when my alcohol low light was on.

Or when there was too much blood in my alcohol system.

Tee Hee
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I went in and out of being a Social Drinker for some years but then things started to really go downhill. I still wonder now if I can do it again but I've been sober for 13 months now. I feel better.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

There were years when it never occurred to me to have alcohol at home or drink outside social situations. Sometimes, however, I planned to have one or two drinks and wound up in a blackout. Overall it was a slow progression. Started as a social drinker and wound up drinking a magnum of wine each day.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I WAS a social drinker, right up until my late thirties. Peole used to laugh T me and my husband about how little we drank. One to two glasses was enough for me, any more would make the room spin sickenly.
Then we went through a very dark time in our lives, and overnight I lost the ability to sleep naturally, and discovered alcohol could help me calm down and sleep simultaneousy. But within a short time I was drinking alcoholically. Not every dat, or every week. Just any time I felt bad.
So I have had the experience of being both a 'normal' drinker and a desperate alcoholic.
It was very confusing, and it took me a long time to accept I was really an alcoholic.