Notices

Treat yourself

Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Treat yourself

Whether you will be day 1 or day 1 million and 1:

I sincerely hope that everyone takes a moment to practice the pause this weekend and treat themselves to something that gives them great joy. A hot bubble bath, a long walk in the woods, reading from their favorite author, a big bowl of ice cream...What are you looking forward to this weekend? I am going to commit it to finding a new author and recording some new music.

Over two months since I got back to sobriety (it feels longer!) and myself again. I am so grateful to start this New Year sober and with many great new adventures awaiting my arrival. And I fully intend to arrive at each one sober and stronger in my resolve, my faith and conviction that there is no better life than one experienced fully awake.

Grateful to the SR community to providing their support and empathy.

ForestFrenzy
Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Once I sold nearly all my guitars to pay for booze...

Playing music with friends tomorrow with a new bass - great way to spend a Sunday

D
Old 01-20-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds like a beautiful way to spend a Sunday, our dearest Dee!
Enjoy your new bass - getting a new instrument is like winning the lottery. xx
Old 01-20-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it's nice to be able to afford good things

D
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Since I am literally always on the go, my treat this weekend will be going to a hockey game Saturday night!
Continuing with sleeping in on Sunday and football playoffs .
Old 01-20-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this post! I really enjoy hot coffee with good creamer in this cold weather. It really is the little things nowadays!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love my coffee in the morning.... It's sooooo good sober. 2nd cup was even better!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree! When I was drinking my palette for coffee died.
Now it's one of the things I look forward when I wake up - fixing it just how I like with a dollop of whipped cream, drinking it leisurely and catching up on emails from friends overseas!
Thanks for sharing everyone!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post and congratulations on 2 months!

I'm going to be on here alot as I have a laptop for the weekend and can post again.

With you all on the coffee, the first cup of the day is my favourite thing. I have a new camera so I'm hoping to get out and take some pictures of the beautiful snowy scenery here. I've also got a couple of dvd's I got for Christmas I've not watched yet and I'm planning a cheeky cheeseburger and salad at some point too! Gabe x
Old 01-22-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After i got sober, i was able to save a bunch of money and get some toys.
I was into coffee roasting for quite awhile, have a french press, but i finally bought a nice hand grinder and my friend gave me a relatively expensive espresso maker.
Found some great deals on craigslist and usually my kids and i enjoy movies on the weekends... note, they are 2.5 and 4, so usually during the movie, there is pillows flying, dancing around, car racing with hot wheels, etc. so it's a wreck, but it was mainly calm this time with the pull out sofa and Big hero 6! bought a new surround sound system, new projector and a 150" screen.
that is 2 shots of espresso in my hand haha. Sobriety! WOO!
20180119_142314 by Noah Scott, on Flickr
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im binging on every episode of The Wire cuz I love that series to death!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rivenin - holy weekend! I love it! And I love that you are spending quality time with the babies - fully present!

WaterOx, I just started Game of Thrones and I save them for the weekend! It feels so great to really look forward to evenings for reasons that don't involve drinking!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post

Im binging on every episode of The Wire cuz I love that series to death!!!
I tried. I really tried. I just couldn't get into it. I respect the hell out of what they did, it just didn't pull me in.

Maybe I'll try it again while not drinking heavily. I find it amazing how well I follow plots now!

Originally Posted by ForestFrenzy View Post
Rivenin - holy weekend! I love it! And I love that you are spending quality time with the babies - fully present!

WaterOx, I just started Game of Thrones and I save them for the weekend! It feels so great to really look forward to evenings for reasons that don't involve drinking!
GOT! Yeah! I binge watched the first four seasons (when I caught up) in a few weeks. THAT was heavy. Have you gotten to the Red Wedding yet?

Try Stranger Things if you haven't seen it already.

I mentioned that I've seen nearly every Heath Ledger movie except 10 Things I Hate About You to my roommate/tenants. As it turns out it's one of his favorites, and he has the DVD. Watched it on Saturday. One of the best teen movies ever. Can you go wrong using Shakespeare as a source? I think not!

I'm looking for more series to binge. Preferably on Netflix or Amazon.

Another good one is on Amazon Prime, The Man in the High Castle.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Narcos was gooood. Parks and recreation for comedy.

The 100 also good once you get past the teenybopper dialogue and scenes in the first few episodes. They apparently put more money into and made it less corny after the first few. It's like a Lord of the Flies/Battlestar Galactica/Mad Max mish mash. A lot of eye rolling moments but fun and fun to watch and make fun of.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I remember seeing 10 Things in theaters when Heath Ledger was still a lesser known star climbing the fame trajectory but fast. Still a favorite.

No I haven't but I love the theme song so much that I arranged it on my harp!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

10 things I hate about you was one of my favorite movies as a teenager! Now I want to rewatch it. Big hero six is my favorite Disney Pixar film, makes me cry every time I watch it. I’ve been binge watching American horror story at night since my insomnia is crazy right now. I tried to do black mirror since everyone seems to love it but I can’t get into it. My favorite Netflix series is Master of none, season 2 was amazing. Well written, funny, romantic and the scenes filmed in Italy are gorgeous. I also find myself zoning out on random documentaries on Netflix and Vice.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

GREAT post FF. CONGRATS on 2 months. That's really cool. It's progress. It's recovery. Your doing fine my friend.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Once I sold nearly all my guitars to pay for booze...

Playing music with friends tomorrow with a new bass - great way to spend a Sunday

D
I've always wanted to learn to play the bass. That goes back to 1978/79 when I was a massive Chic fan and Bernard Edwards' bass playing sounded so good. 'Le Freak' is still a big favourite of mine due to the bassline.

I once tried to learn to play the accoustic guitar but gave up as I wasn't very good at it!