Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What does this mean for me - 8 days no Withdrawal Symptoms

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

I have not had one beer or any other alcholic substance for the past 8 days. This is after what I calculate to be an approximate 13 year habit which progressed to the point that I was pretty much consuming 6 tall cans of beer which were the equivalent of 10 regular size cans of 5% alc beer each evening between the hours of 6 to 10 pm. I can gulp an entire 17 oz can in one gulp, just open my mouth, point the can vertical and down it goes plus a belch within about 1 minute. I did not always consume this much but slowly increased to this level. I estimate that I have been at this level of consumption for at least the past 2 years.

One of the reasons I stopped drinking was the increasing and various symptoms I was experiencing including the abdominal pains, mild night sweats, kidney pains on and off etc. After I stopped drinking last week all of the pains, discomforts, noisy stomach have all slowly gradually faded away. Today for the first time it occurred to me that my stomach was not making all those noises after eating lunch. In the past it sounded like an orchestra down there after lunch. Its hard to notice silence if you are not listening for it!

Does anyone have any thoughts as to:

1. why I have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms; and

2. am I past the stage for withdrawal symptoms since it has been 8 days without any alcohol; or

3. is it because the withdrawal symptoms just have not kicked in yet?

The last significant time I tried to quit was 4 years ago and similarly I did not have any withdrawal symptoms, just felt better, exercised regularly and lost about 25 pounds in 2 months after I stopped ingesting all that beer and empty calories everynight.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think you are going to experience any sort of delayed withdrawal at 8 days sober. you don't say how old you are and your age and weight all factor in. I am assuming you are a male (who chugged beer and belched.)

you might get increased motivation from a physical and discussion with your doctor. Alcohol messes with your BP too and dropping weight, exercising will keep that normal too.

congrats on staying quit and feeling good!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always found it easy to stop drinking, but impossible to "stay" stopped as time went along. Seems you may be suffering the same thing.

AA was the only solution to my "always interrupted" sobriety.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I am assuming you are a male (who chugged beer and belched.)
I've met some women that could put up an arguement to this.

Hey congrats on no withdrawal symptoms....I wouldn't use it as a free ride to a life of chugging beer though. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What does that mean for you?

You're lucky. Stay stopped. Don't use this as a rational that you didn't have a problem.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'd venture to guess you got lucky. I didn't suffer severe withdrawal but it still sucked. And I remind myself often, I could always go back out and if I'm lucky enough to sober up again, I could suffer severe withdrawal then. I'll pass on that.

And I agree with Bob -- staying stopped was the trick for me.

I always acted like a lady when I drank....pfft, chugging beer and belching ......OH, wait. Never mind.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank the same amounts during the week while working and 2-3 more added to the mix after I lost my job and didnt really suffer huge withdrawals either. Didn't matter though, the problem was EVERYTHING else that it caused to go wrong, which was pretty much everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Now I am in the hole and have to claw my way out of it thanks to those thousands of Heineken tall cans.

This is going to take a lot of time, focus and dedication to correct and I know that if I ever open another beer it'll all come crashing down again. That I wont be able to deal with, so good riddance to alcohol.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too was a heavy drinker, rarely more than 3 days going by without a drink for almost 15 years, drinking mainly wine.

I had no withdrawal symptoms beyond a few nights of very vivid dreams.

I never drank all day, maybe that is why, but I binged a lot.

Day 40 now and although I was prepared for a delayed reaction, thankfully I didn't get one.

Not sure why I escaped if I am honest, I am small to average build... so not sure if that really has that much of a baring on it.

Good luck with moving forward and well done on your 8 days.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. Please note, I am not using my lack of withdrawal as an excuse that it is ok to return to drinking. I have absolutely no intention of returning to drinking. No way. I have had it. Just read my extensive thread that I started on February 2, 2012. Now just to keep following through.

P.S. I am 48 years old, 189 lbs, male, white european (if that matters to withdrawals), 5'9" tall. Not particularly fit, nice protuding beer belly (at least I hope that's what it is and not ascites). I did eat mostly a healthy diet all along. I did start taking an over the counter herbal sleep medication on Sun Feb 5, 2012 (Bell Sleep Sound) after reading a really good review in the local newspaper. I thought it would help if I got a really good nights sleep. Just wanted something mild and safe. It contains the usual herbal sleep aids, melatonin, valerian, camomile, etc. Took it as directed on label. Had a wierd dream last night thought someone was calling my name. Woke up out of a deep sleep and thought it was for real, wife woke up and said she did not hear anything. I was not hallucinating, it was definetaly a dream I was in a deep sleep.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're done...Consider yourself blessed. Do you have any plan to continue on with? Lot of options here. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

If you start feeling restless, irritable or discontent, AA is an option.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Plan for continuing on?..... Plan is that if return to drinking, if I cannot do it on my own especially this time that I am so resolved and motivated not to like I never have been before, then I will not return to drinking for months and months and years before I do something about it again, first relapse and I am contacting AA. One of the thought processes that I have developed over the last week is: Why should I have just one more? There is absolutely nothing in it for me. First thing that will happen the next day is a great deal of disappointment in myself that I relapsed and then the return in the afternoon of "well just this one more time and thats it". Do not want to be there and I know that I will go there if I give in. I will not.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

not everybody gets withdrawal symptoms - over 20 years, sometimes I had really bad withdrawal and sometimes none at all.

I'm glad it wasn't bad for you WD

D
Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never had withdrawal symptoms until I was 43 then they kicked my ass for four days! Stay sober and you won't have to worry about it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting, I was into the "tall beers" in the evening after work. As a female of smaller build I am sure I drank just as much as you. Not as many years. Tomorrow is day 13. I am having a little trouble sleeping but that is basically it. The second week was a little more challenging psychologically. The first week I was so pumped about quitting. Now a little more restless, feeling the stress of life events. So far so good. Coming into weekend #2. Got to get through. (I did smoke a few cigarettes and I don't really smoke. Just had to take the edge off some stress.) Whatever works I guess. Just keep at it!!
Lucy
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WD, I guess we are a few of the lucky ones. Day 44 for me and I have not had any withdrawl symptoms that I know of. Always was feeling dizzy, shaky, fuzzy, foggy, nauseaus you name it, but that was the everyday hangovers......
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I am at day 9 and I feel great. I keep exercising, eating well, go to sleep at 9:30 p.m. I am taking a herbal sleep aid. Yesterday I also purchased a bottle of Milk Thistle. This is supposed to help your liver. I am going to take this as directed on the bottle for three months. Another helper to detox is dandelion greens. In the past I have purchase dandelion greens extract or juice in a bottle. You drink a small quantity every day as directed. Doesn't taste too good but it helps to stimulate the flushing of kidneys and liver.

In the past I have purchased a product from the U.S. called Dr. Natura. They sell basically two products one is a cleanse and the other is a detox. I actually really liked this product. I did not expell the same stuff they show on their website, but I definetly feel like it cleaned me out. I definitely felt better. I liked it because each product contained 3 separate types of dosages for each day and each product was to be taken for a minimum of 30 days, but recommended for 90 days. Dr. Natura is still around and they ship for free in the U.S., but unfortunately they no longer are permitted to sell in Canada. Go figure, we get all kinds of carcinogen / toxin laden fish from Vietnam sold to us as a health alternative in nice pretty packaging, believing that it has been inspected by our Canadian gov't, but (get this one!)
our gov't gave up on inspecting this particular type of fish import because it was so toxic and there was so much of it that they could not control it, so rather than stop the import altogether, they decide not to step on toes or for other more dubious reasons, that decide that they will wash their hands of the whole thing and leave the inspecting up to the Vietnamese? Yet another colossal blunder by the morons we have to go to work every day to support.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I decided to stop drinking last week I had been having various abdominal and back pains and for quite some time at least many months and years for some. As soon as I stopped the intensity of the pains and discomforts dropped and appeared to be on their way to fading completing.

I still seem to have this mild pain in my liver area, not really even pain, it is like a sensation, like someone pressing something into it gently. Sometimes it is a little sharper, sometimes it is not there at all, sometimes it is like a sensation of fullness, but usually just below my right rib cage. I am always stopping and mentally gauging if it is still there. I do not have any other symptoms that I know of. The dark circles under my eyes are pretty much gone. The redness from my face, neck head etc. is pretty much gone and I have returned to a more normal coloration. My blood pressure has dropped somewhat as well. In the weeks leading up to last week I was running around 153/109 now I am around 143 / 97. Resting heart rate now about 77 bpm, used to be mid 90's. The BP is still on the high side, but I am going to get it down through exercise and wieght loss.

I do not have any issues exercising. I walk briskly on the treadmill and alternate with the eliptical machine. Usually try to maintain my heart rate at about 120 bpm for the exercise period of 1/2 hour every other day. Heart rate increases when I go on eliptical but then goes back down to the 120's when I switch to the treadmill. No issues. I am not out of breath, there is no discomfort. I sweat a little by the end but this is to be expected. I do not even have any aches or pains in my legs which I though that I would. I actually feel better after exercising. It must be the adrenalin or other chemicals released. I actually want to exercise harder because it feels good and I know that it is good for me, but I am going to maintain the same pace and build up a bit for the next couple of weeks.

Slight wieght loss since last week 1.2 lbs. I attribute this to the cessation of the 10 nightly beer, 1320 calories, the exercise and the elimation of any junk food. I have been eating a mostly exemplary diet over the week.

As far as I know I do not have any other symptoms left. Urine is normal color etc. Ouput is normal, I drink water and a while after I go. The other end is normal too. Regular, every morning like clockwork. No constipation or diarrhea. My skin and eyes are not green or yellowish, no spider viens, no red splotchy skin on my hands. No clubbed finger nails. Even the gout which manifested itself in my elbows and ankles seems to have subsided. I developed a constant pain in both elbows which even became tender to the touch, now that is gone completely. I can press on my elbows all I want and no pain. My stomach was pretty noisey in the past after a meal, I used to notice mostly at lunch. Now that seems to be gone as well. All of the flatualance and gas is gone as well. No more constant beer farts night and day.

My concern is what I perceive as this lingering discomfort in my liver area. Perhaps it is much too early (only 9 days stopped) to expect this to resolve itself already since this took the brunt of my abuse. Maybe I am expecting too much to quickly.

Anyone have any similar experience with the lingering discomfort in their liver area?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BecomingSober View Post
Interesting, I was into the "tall beers" in the evening after work. As a female of smaller build I am sure I drank just as much as you. Not as many years. Tomorrow is day 13. I am having a little trouble sleeping but that is basically it. The second week was a little more challenging psychologically. The first week I was so pumped about quitting. Now a little more restless, feeling the stress of life events. So far so good. Coming into weekend #2. Got to get through. (I did smoke a few cigarettes and I don't really smoke. Just had to take the edge off some stress.) Whatever works I guess. Just keep at it!!
Lucy
Lucy

Plan your weekend out as much as you can in advance. Even if it is the most mundane things like laundry, cleaning, washing your car, mowing your lawn etc. including what you are going to do in the evening until going to sleep.

I think that if you give yourself a full schedule and stay committed to getting through that schedule, you will avoid that free time when the temptation to have beer, at least for me, tended to come around. Go outside and get some fresh air and be around people as well. You will feel good that you are with other people and you do not have this dard drinking habit to feel guilty, hide or feel lesser than others about. I think that all of this will reinforce your resolve to cease the habit.

I am no where near being an expert, but I have done a lot of introspection or self reflection and I think that for me the above would help.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats WD on your 9 days. I do have some degree of liver disease and wanted to caution you on using valerian. I have been advised to avoid it by my doctor.

I would also urge you to get a good physical as some have done so here and in another thread. Knowledge is power to change. You can stop drinking and your bloodwork can improve, but only scans and certain test truly reveal the true picture of the liver.

I do not want to overstep on the medical stuff here. I am not a doctor nor giving you medical advice. But I do have some liver damage from the combination of metabolic syndrome(obesity, diabetes, high lipids) and added alcohol to the mix as well.

I have conquered all but the alcohol. Stumbled a bit there the last several months.

I wish you the best in giving up the drinking. Congrats on 9 days.

rochele