Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

So I owe a couple thousand to the IRS, having urges to drink.....

Notices

So I owe a couple thousand to the IRS, having urges to drink.....

Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy So I owe a couple thousand to the IRS, having urges to drink.....

I have 10 months of sobriety under my belt and usually just go to bed when depressed. Yesterday, I had a melt down after my accountant told me I owed the IRS a little over 2k. I keep thinking about wine and just drinking..... It seems as if every 2 steps forward, I get knocked down 4 steps. Just having the single mother/ being an adult blues :rotfxko
And even so, I will praise his holy name.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi indakut You have done SO well. You know the wine won't help with the taxes. It is stressful, but you can deal with it sober much better than drunk. Do make sure you deal with it though & don't ignore it, because the interest & penalties are horrendous. Not to mention the neverending mail harrassment from the IRS. Of course I do not know if you're using a personal accountant that you have a solid relationship with or a tax prep firm, but if you are using a personal acct they should certainly be able to give you the appropriate steps to take if you cannot pay it all at once.

VERY best wishes to you! And congratulations on your lengthy sober time
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you can work out a reasonable repayment plan indakut - don't let this overwhelm you

D
Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi MsJax. I am going to pay. This is the second time I have owed the IRS. The last time, I owed I stayed drunk every minute I was not at work. No way can I stretch it out! I like freedom too much. Gotta rob Peter to pay Paul to pay he IRS. Just disgusted but I will be ok. Almost time to go to bed
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Indaku,
Keep going with that sobriety! I would KILL for ten months!!!

I hope your not using this as reason to drink? (as I might do)

money is money.
In my personal experience I have found usually when I did'nt have much of it, it was because I was drinking a lot.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Hey there indakut, I owe a lot more than that to the IRS! I DID ignore the problem too long, resulting in a lot of hassle, and finally, help from a great CPA who is also a great friend. It's under control and I'm on a payment plan, and I couldn't be more grateful that I didn't drink over it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

With the money you save by not drinking you will have an easier time paying the IRS.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How could owing 2k come as such a surprise ? You must have earned a fair bit of excess cash, that's a good thing.
Your accountant should be able to set up your remittances so this doesn't happen again.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

some three years after i was in recovery, i finally settled with IRS. Got an ovation from my home group. Two years later an unknown workers comp bill came due to the tune of 30K [that cut a vacation short yes it did]
within seven years, by doubling up, i had paid off the mortgage [home was in last step to receivership when i got clean]
I am beginning to think this money stuff comes and goes- in the meantime I remain.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And no matter what problems you have now, you will still have them even when drinking, plus, when you get done drinking, you'll have even more problems
Hang in there!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi,

Just want to let you know, I can speak from experience, the IRS is very good with helping people out by arranging payments.

A couple of years ago I owed them a bit over 3 grand. The IRS put me on a payment plan of $35 bucks a month. There was no way I could come up with all that at once and I found them to be very helpful and professional.

I know $35 dollars a month is more than you want to pay out (at least it was for me), but it sure beats coming up with the total amount due at one time.

Payment arrangements took a lot of stress of me. Just call them and be honest with them. They really will work with you.

T.I.A.B
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unhappy Re: IRS and 2 grand.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sure you can work out a reasonable repayment plan indakut - don't let this overwhelm you

D
She's right. The IRS will work with you. Then you can figure out a payment plan that won't break the bank. Remember, taking a step back might seem like a lot but it could be much worse if you add wine into the mix. It's no tax deductible either, so forget about that idea.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

I am working my way through three years of undone tax returns. I will owe some $, yet unknown. Being drunk will not remove this situation. I am working to ensure it does not happen again. I would try to focus on the fact that you are clearing the decks, and see it as part of making amends.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Great thread, and the responses have helped me realize YANA...you are not alone!

I am in the midst of my first significant debt to the IRS as well. Most of it is paid, and the remainder will be within a month, but let me say that I could have bought a really nice car with what I owed, so it wasn't easy. In fact it was painful.

I get wanting to drink, but that does nothing toward resolving the issue, and everything toward perpetuating it. But, it's a natural response for us alcoholics, although immature. I can say that 'cause I felt the urge too. Going to the IRS office last week and sitting with an agent was a very emotionally upsetting experience for me. But, I got myself into the mess, and I had to get myself out. Sober.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Two years ago i owed the IRS over $20,000. As one of my 9th step ammends, I called them and offered 5% immediately and 2% a month. After a long and scary pause, they said "Yes
Then I hired a tax consultant to refile my last 5 years and he found a way to convice the IRS that I was too poor to ever pay them back completey. They adjusted my debt to $3,000 and today I am debt free.

I am convinced that it was a series of small miracles (synchonicity) that turned my ammends into a triumph.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Lucky you! I owe over $10,000 to the IRS, let alone what I owe the state. I also have a large medical bill or two.....

They will work with you. Stay stopped and you can think more clearly and talk to them. You can make payments......

There is nothing a drink won't make worse. Take action! It will work out!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi indakut, hang in there, as my accountant has told me, they don't have debtor's prison anymore. You know, I sure hope he's right!! If it makes you feel any better, I owe the IRS $32,000. That's actually more than I make in a year (now). My heart literally just jumped up into my throat as I added that last zero, but in the end, it's only money. I send as much as I can every month, and I keep in touch with the IRS with regular phone calls to keep my file notes updated. They know where to find me, they know I send money every month, and that's the best I can do.
While I totally understand the wine urge, you know deep down it won't help. You hang in there, you be strong, you CAN do this!!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

have 10 months of sobriety under my belt and usually just go to bed when depressed. Yesterday, I had a melt down after my accountant told me I owed the IRS a little over 2k. I keep thinking about wine and just drinking..... It seems as if every 2 steps forward, I get knocked down 4 steps.
Ah yes, the IRS. I'm surprised an IRS agent isn't sitting at the back of beginner's meetings. I had years to deal with and wound up owing about $30,000. The good news is you can pay the IRS back in small installments. If you're direct with these people and say you'll pay it back they won't bother you. Challenge #2 was the dentist.

Years of dental work. I suggest considering this: there isn't a problem in life that booze won't make worse. If you drink you'll owe the money AND be drunk.

What I learned during this period is that I blow everything out of proportion. We alcoholics are pretty thin skinned. So set up a process with dealing with "life on life's terms" by getting a sponsor and going to more meetings.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Two years ago i owed the IRS over $20,000. As one of my 9th step ammends, I called them and offered 5% immediately and 2% a month. After a long and scary pause, they said "Yes
Then I hired a tax consultant to refile my last 5 years and he found a way to convice the IRS that I was too poor to ever pay them back completey. They adjusted my debt to $3,000 and today I am debt free.

I am convinced that it was a series of small miracles (synchonicity) that turned my ammends into a triumph.
TRULY INSPIRING! Thank you

Originally Posted by foodie1 View Post
Hi indakut, hang in there, as my accountant has told me, they don't have debtor's prison anymore. You know, I sure hope he's right!! If it makes you feel any better, I owe the IRS $32,000. That's actually more than I make in a year (now). My heart literally just jumped up into my throat as I added that last zero, but in the end, it's only money. I send as much as I can every month, and I keep in touch with the IRS with regular phone calls to keep my file notes updated. They know where to find me, they know I send money every month, and that's the best I can do.
While I totally understand the wine urge, you know deep down it won't help. You hang in there, you be strong, you CAN do this!!
Thank you. Glad I didnt drink because then I would have the guilt from drinking AND still owe the IRS. During my 10 month journey, I am learning how to rely on other things besides alcohol. THIS HAS BEEN HUGE FOR ME because all I knew how to do was deal with things by getting numb and drunk.

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Ah yes, the IRS. I'm surprised an IRS agent isn't sitting at the back of beginner's meetings. I had years to deal with and wound up owing about $30,000. The good news is you can pay the IRS back in small installments. If you're direct with these people and say you'll pay it back they won't bother you. Challenge #2 was the dentist.

Years of dental work. I suggest considering this: there isn't a problem in life that booze won't make worse. If you drink you'll owe the money AND be drunk.

What I learned during this period is that I blow everything out of proportion. We alcoholics are pretty thin skinned. So set up a process with dealing with "life on life's terms" by getting a sponsor and going to more meetings.
so true. had to have 2 crowns done last year because I cracked teeth. Simply put, the alcohol was robbing me of much needed vitamins
Old 02-09-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by macknacat View Post
I am beginning to think this money stuff comes and goes- in the meantime I remain.
That about sums it up! It is always something in regards to money. Since I am sober, I have to learn to deal with it and keep it moving. #1 preservation of self!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I was in a bad place the other day.