Notices

Sober superbowl

Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Sober superbowl

Stuff like this still seems a little odd to me - we had people over tonight, beer was drank...and even though I have gotten used to being a non-drinker now, it still seems so weird and unreal to me when I step back and see myself not drinking on occasions like this. Days like this remind me of how relieved I would feel when a holiday would roll around (or St. Patty's Day or the Superbowl)....because it was a day where I didn't hide how much I drank since it was an "acceptable" drinking day. And actually, I'd usually have a good time - but it'd be the next morning, when I'd be slurping down vodka to stop from shaking while everyone else was returning to work, that always made me feel like I was living in some secret h*ll and would unknowingly accelerate my drinking even harder.

Anyway, this hasn't been the most exciting night...but at least I get to wake up tomorrow sober, drive my kids to school, act like a normal mother and feel good about myself (ok, well maybe not "good", but at least not ashamed!).
Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too feel the same way, but was amazed at how much fun I had not drinking. I ALSO noticed how many others DON'T drink or the ones that do drink, how much they DON'T drink lol.
Happy sober Sunday
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
Days like this remind me of how relieved I would feel when a holiday would roll around (or St. Patty's Day or the Superbowl)....because it was a day where I didn't hide how much I drank since it was an "acceptable" drinking day. And actually, I'd usually have a good time - but it'd be the next morning, when I'd be slurping down vodka to stop from shaking while everyone else was returning to work, that always made me feel like I was living in some secret h*ll and would unknowingly accelerate my drinking even harder.
YES YES YES. This brought me back... Holidays were such a relief because I wasn't the only jack@ss out there. Usually I'd find a couple of other random completely sloshed people and we'd make a night of it.

The only difference between you and me is that I was too stupid to realize that drinking the next morning made you feel better. I only started that the last week I had of drinking to help stave off the seizures. Wouldn't you know that was the one time I didn't drink ENOUGH, ha! Had a seizure and that was what ended it for good.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was thinking of this yesterday too--how I used to look forward to the days where I had a legitimate excuse to drink like the Superbowl. And for me, not drinking last night felt like such a welcome relief! When I think of how it used to be I realize how pointless getting drunk really was. I'd catch a buzz....then avoid eating as long as I could to keep the buzz going. And of course I'd have to keep drinking to keep the buzz going, but the reality of that combo (not eating and continued drinking) is that that nice buzz quickly morphs into intoxication, and once we're there and our judgement is nice and impaired, we continue to drink until black out.

For me this whole process only took a few hours, and eventually I'd of course eat...pass out, and wake up feeling like hell in a handbasket, not remembering half of the night, etc. So last night I consciously thought to myself "God, its so nice to having dinner at the superbowl knowing I'll be able to clean up afterwards, prepare for the next day, go to bed and wake up feeling refreshed".

Realizing how insane I was in the past to sacrifice so much for a stupid buzz makes me so grateful I choose to be sober now. And sober has never felt so good in my life!