Notices

Weddings, bachelorette parties, NYC... OH MY

Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weddings, bachelorette parties, NYC... OH MY

This is the year I have decided to get sober. It is also the year two best friends will have bachelorette parties and weddings. It is the same year that I have a NYC trip planned (and booked) in which I will visit my best friend, who happens to be a lot like me, only not sober.

It's going to be a test to do all of these things without a toast, without a cocktail, without a glass of wine at dinner. I don't miss much about alcohol. Not even the way it made me feel. The only thing I will miss is not being able to enjoy one simple glass of wine like a normal person.

Anyone going through something like this?
Any ideas on how to make it through all these events sober and well?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I so know that feeling - the elusive 'one glass of wine', an animal I have hunted unsuccessfully on many deluded occasions. It always turns out they run in herds.

One thing that helps is to have a very clear plan, a reward, and an escape strategy. The plan for me is what I will drink: club soda and cranberry, or a Virgin Mary, Diet Coke, whatever I am feeling like but I determine it in advance so there is no hesitation when ordering.

The reward is something I will give myself after the party: a nice long bath, or a slice of cheesecake, or a few squares of dark chocolate, whatever you like.

And the escape strategy is: I will be able to extricate myself; "Got to go let my dogs out" (which won't work in NYC for you); need to go make some calls, need to go take a nap, check work email, whatever. You can get yourself out of there if things start to unravel for you and you think you are getting near thinking about a slip.

Good luck with all the festivity and enjoy yourself! (your real self)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats great advice!

Also got me thinking, my dad lives near new york city. So if it's too much for me, I can escape for more than just one night & take it easy.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PS - One week today