Notices

Really in trouble

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
Btw what does cross tolerant?
Cross-tolerance means that when you develop a tolerance to a drug, you will also have a tolerance to other closely related drugs. This also means that you can use one drug to stave off the withdrawal from another, provided they are cross-tolerant. For example, methadone can be used to counter heroin withdrawal. Likewise, benzodiazepines (like Librium) can be used to counter alcohol withdrawal, which is why they are used for detox. The more closely related two drugs are, the stronger the cross tolerance effect will be.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter how much or when you drink, you know if you are an alcoholic 'of our type' you have to get back to AA - you are one of my tribe sally, I want to you to phone your sponsor now and ask him/her to take you to a meeting just being with your tribe can help you recover I swear.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Sally,

You may want to consider staying with some family for a few days while you taper off. Sometimes it is best to let someone else hand out the pills on schedule, too.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Agreed with everyone on the cross tolerance thing. Please don't mix meds and booze.

you have the power to stop this whenever you like, though, Sally.

Reach out and get some help.
I really hope you'll contact someone from AA today

D
Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sally,
Your heart aches for your young son. What are you going to do about that? I would encourage you to pour the bottle down the kitchen sink, call your sponsor and go to an AA meeting. Those last bottles often don't end up as last bottles. Please do this for yourself first and your son second.
Susan
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sally1009

It's midnight where I am, so have to wait to see doc tomorrow, which I will do. I wasnt brave enough to pour the bottle away, nor to prevent myself from buying another one. I'm just praying that I am still tapering down i.e three bottles yesterday, two today and hopefully help from doc tomorrow. I feel like a monster..
Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sally, I don't have children but I can still relate a bit. That overwhelming feeling of guilt and shame was what finally helped me give up alcohol and make my life better. I didn't really care that I was hurting myself, but when I began hurting my close friends, I just couldn't deal with it anymore.

I am sorry that your son saw the wine, but use this experience as a tool to aid your detox. Think of that moment when he saw the bottle and how you don't want to feel that way anymore. You can do this Sally. We're all here for you
Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Out of the woods today, slept off thr withdrawal and hangover all day, and the desire to drink has gone. Talked to my sponsos, who was very nice about it. Will go to my hoomegroup tomorrov evening. Thanks so much for listening to me x
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's good, Sally. Just remember that it's usually easier to stay sober than to get sober.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Still sober. It's a miracle. Was able to go for a walk with my puppy, and it was so freeing to pass the wine shop with no desire to buy any. Next hurdle is to get to a meeting tonight, and call my sponsor.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Happy to see you're doing better today, Sally.

If I could isolate the things that keep me sober it's been
- working on those life skills and
- celebrating things that directly are contraindicated with drinking (exercise, even reading. I never read while drinking).
Doing both of those things every day has given me a mostly good life.

Blessings to you as you continue to heal.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Sally,

You may want to consider staying with some family for a few days while you taper off. Sometimes it is best to let someone else hand out the pills on schedule, too.
Thank you for your advice, TU, but alas I only have my aged mother who lives 200 miles away. She certainly wouldn't be able to care for me. I had been thinking of giving the pills to my son (24) to look after, but it seems so unfair to place such a responsibility on his already burdened shoulders.
Since you wrote the above I have managed to get myself sober with help from my doctor in the form of sleeping tablets. Not exactly a personal triumph, but it got the job done. This is my second day sober now.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sally, being sober for two days is definitely something to be proud of. I can tell from reading that you are genuine about becoming sober. I'm rooting for you and your progress!!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Dee - I have been too demoralised to go back to AA, tho I know thats the best place for me. I still have to sort things out with my soonsor, and have just been lacking the courage to do so.
This is a life and death disease Sally. Most people relapse and no one in AA will be shocked, surprised or think anything of it. Call your sponsor today, get to a meeting.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Went to a meeting last night and it was fine. I still need to sort things out with my sponsor though, which I'm still very undecided about. Thanks for all your support.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing better Sally - I hope you sort things out with your sponsor, one way or the other, soon.

D
Old 02-05-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sally I drank 4 to 5 cartons of tesco white wine a day...that stuff is nasty so I know where your coming from.
I hope you can see your doctor and arrange a schedule, I did, I had to see three doctors before one actually would help though...go see more doctors till you find one who will really help and cares.
I had to fess up and get back to meetings too, scared the **** outta me but I feel better now. Glad you got it sorted with your sponsor.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sally I drank 4 to 5 cartons of tesco white wine a day...that stuff is nasty so I know where your coming from.
I hope you can see your doctor and arrange a schedule, I did, I had to see three doctors before one actually would help though...go see more doctors till you find one who will really help and cares.
I had to fess up and get back to meetings too, scared the **** outta me but I feel better now. Glad you got it sorted with your sponsor.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
Went to a meeting last night and it was fine. I still need to sort things out with my sponsor though, which I'm still very undecided about. Thanks for all your support.
she may not be the right sponsor for you. I'm not in AA but I feel like people have talked here about finding the 'right' sponsor.