Notices

When I Used to be "That Person"

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When I Used to be "That Person"

I had to catch an early flight this morning (7am). I boarded the plane and a lady walked by me reeking of alcohol (vodka). I remember being that person. I would travel and drink in excess of my normal excess, wake early to catch a flight, and continue drinking so as not to face the reality of the hell I was in. I also figured that since I was drinking vodka that I was the only one that knew I was drinking. Now I know better. I know better than to drink and I know better that even if I did drink, I would not be the only one that knew.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear you. I was always at the bar at the airport and having an alcoholic drink - didn't matter what time, hell I was on holidays.

I was always boarding half-tanked and then drank on the plane - that awful wine. Funny how very few others did.

Not been to an airport since I quit, so flying sober will be a new experience for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It amazes me how easy it is to pick up on the scent of alcohol anymore. When I was drinking, I thought that I was being discreet...chewing gum, wearing perfume....wow was I oblivious. I've smelled alcohol on people in stores, even if just a passer by with no interaction.

I've also thought to myself that I was that guy. So glad it's over and I am no longer trying to cover up my addiction. In hind site I probably looked like a drunk chewing gum with good taste in perfume
Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It didn't matter if I was getting on a plane...a boat...a train....subway...bus....taxi cab....You name it. Chances are I was buzzed and smelled like a brewery.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's crazy what we put ourselves through just so we can keep being miserable. It's so true, we can always smell it - I'm sure my office at work reeked of vodka & everyone knew I was wasted. (Back then I wanted to belief that "Smirn**f leaves you breathless" )
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Funny to see this post here (funny coincidence, not funny haha). I was just thinking today about a friend of mine I saw about 2 months ago. It was dinner time, about 6.30pm and I was having a meal out with my parents and sister. I went outside to the balcony of the bar/restaurant, and my friend was plastered. Slurring her words, her eyes not opened properly - like one open wider than the other. It is an image that's seared on my mind. Everyone around her was sober, it was only early in the evening. Crazy that I used to make her look good.