Notices

Looking for a recovery plan

Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for a recovery plan

Hi, I'm new here and looking for a recovery plan. One that will work for me, and I have no idea what that is. All I know is that I need it to work. I come from a long line of alcoholics, and I drink excessively and act completely out of control when I do. I also think I have some kind of abandonment issues that make me a complete mess when I am drinking and my husband has to leave for whatever reason. That's a whole different story though. This past weekend I ended up in inpatient psych for 48 hours and I am committed to sobriety at this point. There is no middle ground for me. Alcohol moderation is not an option anymore. I can't pretend I am like everyone else anymore because I'm not. I haven't drank since Saturday, I am not on any psych meds, I have an appointment with a therapist next week and I am looking for a good support group in my area. AA meetings are easy to find but I am looking for another option to explore as well besides AA. Does anyone have any ideas how to find any additional support groups? It doesn't look like there are many others to pick from.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

There is a secular forum here that provides great info and discussion on other recovery programs.
Scroll down a little from this section to find it.

Welcome, and I hope you stick around. This is a great site.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hello Hello Kitty

Welcome

There's actually many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players (including AA):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum that Threshold mentioned if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Glad to have you with us

D
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelloKitty8340 View Post
All I know is that I need it to work.
Hey Kitty...I think it's great that you are looking for some kind of plan. Whatever you choose...Whether it works or not depends on how much you want it to work. Good luck on your journey...Give it all you got...Like your life depends on it..
Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I gotta comment, you joined in Dec of 2004 and made your first post today? I think you should post more!

There are many paths to recovery. I did it on my own for several years but after a series of relapses over a years time I gave up and tried AA. So far, so good, I have a good chunk of sober time now. AA + SR has been the combination that's worked for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Research now. work with the therapist to come up with a plan. try some AA meetings & ask your question to other recovering people. write down questions if they come up.

what will I do if ________: if I get a craving? if i'm asked to go out to drink? if I am irritable?

read through this site, read as much as possible. alcoholism hasn't changed much over the years. you'll see the same questions over & over. your plan will include preparation for any situation that comes up. What will I do if?....your Plan is your "emergency kit" for those times. support helps, especially in person support. I used to take a friend to the store so I wouldn't go to the beer store, by mistake.

best wishes on staying stopped,
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL, I joined in 2004 when my ex (and daughter's dad) was fighting heroin addiction. This is my first post related to my own recovery. It has been a long long time since I've been on here. So to me it's new, but somehow I remembered my username from 6 years ago. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm 5 days in and doing fine, but the weekend starts tomorrow...weekends will be the hard part. Thankfully, my husband is behind this a hundred percent and will do whatever he has to do to divert my attention somewhere else besides the bar.