Notices

Poverty/hunger

Old 01-28-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Poverty/hunger

does anybody care or think about those of us who are in poverty. Im hungry every night and I am going to lose my apartment because of my disease. Im not looking for a handout or money, but please keep in mind those of us who this disease has taken its final bite
Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll find a lot of people here can identify with that situation JBhere.

I was never actually homeless but some here have been.

Personally I remember choosing booze over food, spending my last $10 in the world on booze and cigarettes, despite creditors and well overdue bills from every direction.

we're not helpless victims of our disease tho - we can do something about the situation, get help to stop drinking, and dig ourselves out.

We're still luckier than some out there I think

It took me well over a year after getting sober to sort my financial problems & debts out but I did it - I'm sure you can too

D
Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lost nothing when I was using, I chose to throw it all away for a drink. Just sayin....
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

just as an addendum

I'm not exactly sure what things exist in the States but based on what we have here I assume there's probably soup kitchens and other places to get a free or low cost meal, and things like foodstamps, and maybe even charity food banks.

this site may help you find stuff too
2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

We can make bad choices in our lives but no one need go hungry JB. We can take responsibility for our own lives again

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-28-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by JBhere View Post
does anybody care or think about those of us who are in poverty. Im hungry every night and I am going to lose my apartment because of my disease. Im not looking for a handout or money, but please keep in mind those of us who this disease has taken its final bite
Of course people care, but it's harder to do so when it seems others want people to feel sorry for them and go so far as to existentialize the loss of their apartment by putting it of onto their "disease". You'll get more positive and encouraging thoughts if you include this detail of your life as an aside, rather than as one blunt post. I mean of course people care, but you and you alone got yourself into whatever situation you are in....not to mention you are posting this on the heels of being a newcomer who incorrectly tried to "school" all of us on what we can and cannot post on this board.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

JBhere,

I am sorry that you are in that situation. Please seek help as Dee suggested. I haven't been in your situation, but I know what it is like to worry about money - most of us do.

Alcoholism is brutal. I have lost a lot in my life because of it - not just financially, of course. But since I have been practicing gratitude (thanks, Least) something in me has clicked. I know you are down and out now, but don't drink, it will just make things worse, as you know.

Your post breaks my heart. Please let us know how things work out. I am so sorry.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The whole "lost things" mentality reinforces the assumption that WE are victims. The only ones who lost anything due to MY addiction was my family, friends, and anyone who was foolish enough to allow me into their lives.

Did I lose money? No I gave it to the bars and the dope dealers.
Did I lose my house? Nope its still on the same street, just a different name on the mailbox.
Did I lose "the girl", "the bike", "the job"? etc...
And the same goes for everything else I "lost" Just sayin...
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((hugs, JB)))

We care. We feel your pain and at every meeting, we have a moment of silence for the addict who still suffers. That is you. i'm so sorry.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

east coast, where? I have resources in maryland. each state has resources. email me privately if you want.

get to a meeting, many of us have been where you are. we can work together, if you ask, but being humble helps. we may have our addictions, but we've also made our choices.

get help either in person or email...(private message).
Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mods, feel free to delete this if it's too inappropriate.

You still have Internet, so you can't be that destitute.

When I think of poverty and hunger, I think of those who don't have access to electricity or clean water. In some countries, there are areas where there is no clean water, and some people take empty buckets and go to wherever they can find clean water, fill the buckets, and carry them back to their waterless villages and sell the water. That is how they make a living.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You should contact the United Way. They may help you with your rent among other things.

Also, many churches give out monthly groceries.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This site has links to soup kitchens, rent assistance programs, everything.

Homeless Shelters | Find Homeless Shelters | Homeless Shelter Search
Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your disease has left you with something you failed to mention. YOUR LIFE!! Some people don't live long enough to get well. At least you have that chance. Don't blow it by sitting still and feeling sorry for yourself. Get to work.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I care, JB, and I pray that you will reach out for help.
There are others who care also. Please try the suggested resources posted above. Your life is precious. I am sorry you are hurting, we hurt for you too.

I have lost family to alcoholism-don't let it take your life. fight back. please get help.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We have to hit bottom before we are able to accept the needed help. I hope this is your bottom and your life will continue to improve in sobriety.

Bob R.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've been where you are and worse--I spent a summer homeless and hungry, trapped by my pride and unwillingness to let go of the idea that I was a victim.

I don't like using the word "disease" to describe my alcoholism because it suggests I can assume no personal responsibility for my recovery. Thing is, I can't help that I'm alcoholic. I must, however, find and maintain the level of willingness to recover from my alcoholism. I didn't find the willingness the summer I was homeless. I am a good manipulator, and I found the means to keep it up for another fifteen years.

I read through the thread in which you objected to the suggestion of AA as a solution to your problem. That's fine. Of all the many things I tried, AA is the only thing that worked for me. You may find something more to your liking. Whatever that may be, I suspect you'll find that sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to help you to recover. Sounds harsh, but I know from my own experience, self-pity was my license to keep on drinking.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
self-pity was my license to keep on drinking.
Bingo.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

I care – I’ve been in poverty (along with my son because as a single mom, alcohol was still more important)
and I’ve had friends who were homeless (+ still sober in AA) . . .

It sucks but that’s what alcohol DOES –
IT TAKES . . .
+ WE GIVE . . .
until WE STOP . . .

Blue
(sober in AA)
Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I care deeply and I will pray for you. I don't know how it works, but when I ask for help it comes ... not always from the person I'm talking to, can be another area. Have you been to your social services? Food stamps would be a help. God bless you.