Notices

I keep relapsing ...

Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep relapsing ...

It seems I can only make it 4 or 5 days before relapsing. Has anyone else gone through this? When im finally sober and the fog has started to lift I feel this compulsion to go out and get a pint of vodka. I would really appreciate if you would share you experiences.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have a lot of experience in relapsing...That's because I never tried to quit till I was finally beaten down so bad...I had no choice. Get to the four or five day mark and before you go buy the pint...Ask yourself two questions...Am I done?....And...What am I going to do about it?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always ask myself that. I think maybe im just to weak to say no to myself.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Post37DayXfer View Post
I always ask myself that. I think maybe im just to weak to say no to myself.
Maybe someday you will say yes...I hope you don't have to go as far as I did to get there.I will tell you this...You can't stop drinking...If you're drinking.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right now booze may be your only answer to feeling like you need a drink. Consider finding another?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Day 4 or 5 is not a relapse, you are not over the acute withdrawal stage. In a sense you are not quit by then.

Getting sober seems to be complex and simple at the same time.

If you have not done the short course at Rational Recovery it may help combat your addictive voice that wants to drag you back to drinking.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some people need medical assistance with detox to get over the hump of withdrawal. You may be one of those people. Have you checked with your doctor? Susan
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Post37DayXfer View Post
I think maybe im just to weak to say no to myself.

Here's the quick deal on that. Either you're:

Right - you are weak (for now), you need to better engage you will/your desire to stop and just "say no" better. You need to make more changes to your life like working out, changing your diet, reading more or less books spending more or less time at work, more or less time with your friends/family...etc - in other words you should be able to make or find that "just right" combination to where you can live sober.....and happily. You may need some help and/or advise along the way though.

Wrong - you're not weak, you're alcoholic. Maybe you've lost the ability to CHOOSE to drink or not and don't know it (most of us who did, didn't realize it at the time). Maybe "your alcoholism" is so cunning, baffling and powerful that it'll manufacture almost any reason to get loaded and you're simply driven back to the bottle sooner or later. In this scenario, will power and all the things I mentioned above are well and good but they're not going to keep you dry for long and they're certainly not going to keep you sober and happy. You will need to find some power greater than yourself.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Relapsing?? Really??? When I think of a relapse, I expect that there's been some sort of recovery that's been interupted. You're not relapsing!! You've never stopped drinking except to dry out for a couple days. That's not recovery! Try making a comittment to not drink, even if your ass falls off. Go to meetings, get a sponsor, and start working the steps. Give yourself a chance to experience what it's like to not drink for an extended period of time. All you're doing is getting over a hangover long enough for drinking to seem like a good idea. If you'd read the Big Book it describes exactly what you're going through. There's a saying that goes: "if you keep doing what you always did, you're going keep getting what you always got." You're living proof of that. Being sober isn't just drying out. It's a physical, mental and spiritual change in life and attitude that brings about a whole new way of living.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So what's your plan to stay sober?

Obviously what you've been doing isn't working. You can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect different results.