Notices

Please keep AA in the AA forum/threads

Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please keep AA in the AA forum/threads

I am not a suscriber to AA at this time. I suffer from this disease as much as anyone else and I fully appreciate people who have dealt with alcoholism with the AA approach. I am asking as a newcomer to respect people who are not spiritual to not spam threads asking if we are going/doing AA. Its hurtful and discriminatory to people like me who are agnostic and who also suffer from this disease. Please keep AA discussion in the AA sub forums.

Thanks.

JBhere
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The alcoholism forum is a general forum for all programs.

The AA forum is for 12 step discussions. The Secular Connections forum has no 12 step discussions. If you want to be free of AA discussions please use the Secular Connections forum.

Hopefully others will respect your wishes in this forum and not discuss AA on your threads if you ask them not to.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the clarification. I didnt know that the alcoholism forum was general. I will try to not be offended by people who suggest spiritual beliefs. I thought that AA/spiritual people had their own forum here.

Perhaps it can be spelled out that spiritualism and those that suggest it is allowed on the general forum, even though it may offend people who are secular/non spiritual.

Thanks again

JBhere
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Ok...I edited my post after seeing the last one.

JBhere - I'd suggest trying to be more respectful. Personally I couldn't imagine as a new comer coming into a forum and telling people where to post (with rude posts). I was shy just introducing myself. SR is diverse and generally, there are areas for everyone. Follow the link Morning Glory provided.

Good luck with your sobriety.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is the link to the Secular forum. AA topics are not allowed on that forum.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
Here is the link to the Secular forum. AA topics are not allowed on that forum.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Thanks again for the link. I am a reasonable person and I am willing to look into things. Maybe I did not read the rules of the alcoholism forum to my understanding. I am just disheartened by reading threads that just end up with AA and and what are you doing differently as the answers. Its hurtful to me.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Ok...I edited my post after seeing the last one.

JBhere - I'd suggest trying to be more respectful. Personally I couldn't imagine as a new comer coming into a forum and telling people where to post (with rude posts). I was shy just introducing myself. SR is diverse and generally, there are areas for everyone. Follow the link Morning Glory provided.

Good luck with your sobriety.
Im really sorry if I came off as rude. I may need to read the rules more closely.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's probably better to just read as much as you can and try not to be judgemental at this point. Even those who are secular are not going to want to help out someone who is demanding from the get go. I really suggest that you try to be thankful that you are able to read all these posts, instead of finding faults and making demands of people you don't even know.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I just blows my mind why there has to be such divisiveness and bitterness between different paths of Recovery. Clearly many find success with different programs. Guess it just is.

* Edit. Wow...weird night, The post that prompted my response is gone. Well....my point remains.

Nirvana - Very true...that is what I was trying to say.

Good luck JB...you will find a lot of support here.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
It's probably better to just read as much as you can and try not to be judgemental at this point. Even those who are secular are not going to want to help out someone who is demanding from the get go. I really suggest that you try to be thankful that you are able to read all these posts, instead of finding faults and making demands of people you don't even know.
you are right. I need to be thankful and grateful and even more grateful until it hurts. I am just a peasant who has stumbled onto this website.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

It is easier at times to focus on what is not going right rather than what is. There is a wide array of views on SR. It is helpful to look at what we have in common and the things we share rather than the things we don't. Everyone here is either trying to get or stay sober, and we all come to share ideas on what we think will help. We can even learn from those we do not agree with. I have been assisted enormously by this site.

Most posters will acknowledge that ultimately we all have to find our own way.

I found that getting a feel for SR and the various thread and sections very confusing at first and there are still areas that are unexplored.

If someone offends you , if you click on their name and scroll down you will see that you can add people to your "ignore list".
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I think it takes some courage to come in and lay it out like that. I respect and admire you for that JBHere.

I'm agnostic as well, but I am an agnostic theist so spiritual matters don't go up my arse at all, I'm sort of open to anything because - I don't know - you know ?

And so far it's been working for me. I don't know that it is, but I don't know it isn't either. The only thing I do know is that if there is the slight chance there is a God, I'm not him - and neither is alcohol. I worshipped alcohol, it was my God.

So, out of curiousity are you more hurt by mention of a specific deity or deities ? Or is just the notion of "spirituality" in general ? Does "New Age" kind of touchy feely stuff get on your nerves too ? Hindu ? Buddha ?

Early on in my sobriety when I couldn't sleep, I did find that Vedic Chanting sort of provided a nice "white noise" effect that numbed my mind from regrets of the past and fears of the future. Would that offend you ?

Anyway, I respect the boundaries and hope you get what you need from SR and stay sober and enjoy a nice sober, adventurous life. I've found it to be just that and wish it for anyone seeking it.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
I just blows my mind why there has to be such divisiveness and bitterness between different paths of Recovery.

* Edit. Wow...weird night, The post that prompted my response is gone. Well....my point remains.
I was going to comment on that post too..It got snatched away.....Ahhh...Let's see....why there has to be such divisiveness and bitterness between different paths of Recovery......This sounds like the state of the union.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome JB.

As a hopefully helpful cautionary note, if you find they're not doing something right over on the Secular forum, you might want to cut them slack for a while before coming down on them for it.

Be sure and tell them all about your disease.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I want to say right now this is not a post of division. Whatever works for you in sobriety, from drugs/alcohol,etc I and glad and happy for you.

I was inquiring about AA posts, thats all, it seems people are very sensitive and I understand that. Again, Im a reasonable person. I was merely inquring about the rules which were spelled out by admin MorningGlory, to my satisfaction.

I suggest everybody take a chill pill(no pun intended)

Wow, and I thought I was reactionary.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBhere View Post
Wow, and I thought I was reactionary.
You did start the thread...Good luck on whatever path you choose.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck on whatever method you use. Welcome and I will be pulling for you!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We're [removed the term alcoholic as it might offend] all trying to stay sober and content, JBHere. You'll find that many [removed the term alcoholic as it might offend] who are trying to stay sober and content can be pretty sensitive people. I know I am. The slightest thing - more often than not, not even intended to do so - can get me sore. I call them resentments. Resentments and fears are two of the biggest drivers that lead me to an intolerable state of being. We know how to cure that, right ?

Good stiff shot, followed by ..... another, then another, etc...

Or find a way to get and stay sober. There's plenty of info on several of them here.

Full disclosure here, I do consider myself a practioner of AA's 12 Steps, I review them regularly and have found them to be a wonderful solution. I enjoy the wide berth it gives me in exploring "spiritual things" and I'm not limited to one specific rite or doctrine.

I remain an agnostic theist. I don't know, but I believe and my belief continues to grow.

This obviously means I won't be able to guide or share with you any experience in non AA type programs, but I wish you best all the same.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am speechless by asking a question. Im an alcoholic and I am mortal and with many flaws, I will just be kind and thank you for your response
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not hard guys - we ask that people respect your beliefs and you theirs

If we can't quit the passive aggressive stuff I'll have to close this thread.

JB, you're entitled to believe and follow whatever you like here.
D