Notices

Please keep AA in the AA forum/threads

Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's not hard guys - we ask that people respect your beliefs and you theirs

If we can't quit the passive aggressive stuff I'll have to close this thread.

JB, you're entitled to believe and follow whatever you like here.
D
I dont want you to close this. I apologize to anybody who Ive offended,
I appreciate everyone who has and remained sober, whatever the course. I re-read the rules and Im ok with the alcohol forum
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

* Edit again. Ok, JB...you seem like a nice person. Welcome to SR, and once again, sincerely, good luck. Great people here! Read around and post where you want.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MINEr

JB, welcome to SR, and welcome to sobriety. Whatever path you choose, don't stray from it. Sobriety usually only comes with a dedicated program of recovery, whether it be AA, SMART, Lifering, etc. Work every day at that program like your life depends on it, because it does. Good luck bud.

camedown
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by camedown View Post
JB, welcome to SR, and welcome to sobriety. Whatever path you choose, don't stray from it. Sobriety usually only comes with a dedicated program of recovery, whether it be AA, SMART, Lifering, etc. Work every day at that program like your life depends on it, because it does. Good luck bud.

camedown

I appreciate it very much
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts.

Frankly I like this site the way it is - the admins, me and the other mods here, the greeters and chat mods - we all work damn hard to keep things fair and just and open to all points of view.

We try to let things govern themselves as much as possible - you guys are all adults.

If you don't like something you can post a reply, you can put people on ignore, or you can simply skip a post a thread or even a forum.

I prefer that to more stringent controls about who can post to who and where.

We're here to get better, and I think we do that by pulling together, looking for the good in every post, not by segregating ourselves.

I wouldn't like to see people starting to specify what kind of responses they want.

This is a huge site and a simply awesome opportunity to share hundreds of stories and to get a taste of almost every recovery method available.

Everyone here saved my life - some were AA some weren't - some had years recovery, some had days.

I'm grateful to each and every one of them - even the people I vehemently disagreed with at the time.

if anyone ever has any problems or concerns you're always welcome to PM a mod or an admin....but what we do here works - it has done for 11 years and I hope it will for many more years to come.

Anyone new here? give us a chance- there's method in our madness

I don't think we should tinker with a successful recipe too much

D
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
MINEr

The Dee is very wise.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It's all about respect I see a lot of AAers talking highly of AA, I see a lot of AVRTers talking highly of AVRT, I see a lot of everyone pushing whatever it was that helped them beat this beast of a disease - and that's people come here for! To find out how others got sober, in order to help themselves get and stay that way.

AA has a lot of support, millions of members across the globe, and so just by sheer force of numbers you're going to get more people recommending AA than another form of recovery. The other voices are there too, just not as many - it makes AA an easy target sometimes. It can get repetitive, but at the heart of it it's someone reaching out trying to help you the only way they know how to help - by telling you their story.

I've yet to see someone (regardless of their 'program'/personal beliefs/experience/etc) actively push a method once a poster has said "Sorry that's not for me".

It can be easy to be overly sensitive when you're a newbie. Alcoholism doesn't discriminate and so we're a very mixed bag in here, you're bound to find people/ideas you love, and others not-so-much. The ignore button is your friend Don't let this scare you off posting though!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

I apologize in advance as I don't take note of who prefers what program. I am agnostic and will share my experience which is that program you have no experience following.
Again, I am sorry to offend you.

Stay stopped!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

delete

Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There are a number of recovery programs that I do not follow and do not have a lot of knowledge and experience with. But I can learn and benefit from every single person who posts on SR -- even if their method of recovery is different from mine. Some people teach me what I don't want. Some people teach me what I do want. I never know which voice is going to be the one that will resonate with me and provide me with the advice, experience, example, etc. I need to hear. If I dismiss in advance those who are different from me, I am cutting myself off from help that could have been mine. Susan
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

As an alcoholic I tend to be self-centered and sensitive. I tend to want things to be “my way” just a bit more than other people. I think this “way of being” developed in order to protect my more sensitive self. This included wanting others to act like I want them to act. I work to completely ….and I mean COMPLETELY give this up. Needlesstosay this is a work in progress. Staying concerned about ME all the time makes me just that much more sensitive. When I put the focus outside of myself I experience a new freedom. In this regard I recently came upon a quote that I found valuable. It said that “the love of power is the love of self. The love of freedom is the love of others”. I wish you the very best on your journey.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by JBhere View Post
I am asking as a newcomer to respect people who are not spiritual to not spam threads asking if we are going/doing AA.
As far as letting others know right off the bat that you are not a good fit for AA, simply changing your user title from "Member" to "Not Spiritual" should do the trick.

On the menu bar at the top of the page, go to "User CP," select "Edit Your Details," (or click here), and scroll down to "Custom User Title."
Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

We all come together to get and stay sober and share our experiences. I don't care what program someone uses to get sober. All I can do is share what worked for me and what didn't. I am willing to listen to anyone, anytime. Bottom line, if you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to get it. If things aren't working out, time for plan B. That basically is what recovery is all about.

Welcome to the forums and good luck on your sober journey. Please tell us a little more about yourself. I know sharing our struggles with one another is great way of support.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

well good luck with whatever works for you JB. Glad you came to an understanding to these forums. As for myself it was either AA or I was going to die. I couldn't do it alone myself anymore. I tried for years. Anyway welcome to the SR forums! Good luck in finding your answers to recovery or whatever you want to do
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
instant

Dee is extremely wise and has a strong kind heart.

Good Onya Dee
Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBhere View Post
I am not a suscriber to AA at this time. I suffer from this disease as much as anyone else and I fully appreciate people who have dealt with alcoholism with the AA approach. I am asking as a newcomer to respect people who are not spiritual to not spam threads asking if we are going/doing AA. Its hurtful and discriminatory to people like me who are agnostic and who also suffer from this disease. Please keep AA discussion in the AA sub forums.

Thanks.

JBhere
I am agnostic and do AA. Want to know how I got over the higher power bit? The whole of my life I had viewed it as me verus the world. To be honest with you the fight wasnt being won by me and the rest of the world wasnt really fighting back. The moment I started to look at the world as me at one with the world and society I started to see the direction I needed to go in.

To quote Bill Hicks - We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Great quote above.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

JB ... I respect your wishes. I think you may be saying you don't want people to try to shove (unnamed) down your throat and those who do that are certainly wrong. You don't want to have to defend yourself for choosing not to go to (unnamed).

However, when someone asks for help in getting sober (I'm not saying you've done that, I'm speaking generally), or asks what our experiences are, it's wrong to jump on someone if they mention the unmentionable. For some people (like me), I went to (unnamed) from day one and it's the only experience I have. Also, I'm an agnostic who has stayed sober for 20 years while attending those meetings. The program worked for me because I could not get -- or stay -- sober on my own, I needed the support of the fellowship.

Thanks so much for posting about this, I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

a
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
JB ... I respect your wishes. I think you may be saying you don't want people to try to shove (unnamed) down your throat and those who do that are certainly wrong. You don't want to have to defend yourself for choosing not to go to (unnamed).

However, when someone asks for help in getting sober (I'm not saying you've done that, I'm speaking generally), or asks what our experiences are, it's wrong to jump on someone if they mention the unmentionable. For some people (like me), I went to (unnamed) from day one and it's the only experience I have. Also, I'm an agnostic who has stayed sober for 20 years while attending those meetings. The program worked for me because I could not get -- or stay -- sober on my own, I needed the support of the fellowship.

Thanks so much for posting about this, I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.
Thank you for that post. It isn't just a big religous thing. If you are reglious then it will obvioiusly help you more in that way, but if you arent, just meeting other people and talking to them helps tremendously and that is what is keeping me going right now.