Notices

What Alcoholism Is?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sure, acceptance (that we have a problem) is important, and as you point out, we don't want to get so caught up in questioning the man, or AA, or whatever it happens to be, that we neglect our own immediate problems.

But you seem to be suggesting that we should only question things after implementing a plan for recovery, which IMO is far too late! If we don't permit ourselves to be discerning when evaluating competing recovery options and reflecting on our own cognitive processes, we won't be making an informed decision when we finally do set down a plan for ourselves.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that such questioning is itself a part of the recovery process. It's important that we understand as much as possible how our minds are working, so that we can lead that mind to function more perfectly (or at least less destructively).

Still, I'm happy to hear that you recognize the importance of questioning and discernment, even if we disagree about when precisely we should apply it. Many folks I've encountered don't even do that. I've been told by some that I shouldn't (even after having years of sobriety under my belt) try to understand my mind at all! Instead, they say, I must "keep it simple," and not "overthink it." That kind of anti-intellectualism is extremely frustrating and, quite frankly, dangerously naive. But because it is so prevalent in alcoholic circles, it seems to me even more important to stress the role of discernment, self-reflection and striving for understanding in the recovery process.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
My chronic alcoholism is indeed an illness of mind, body, and spirit -- and not merely my brain seeking alcoholic pleasure. I cannot control the desire to drink. The desire to drink has been removed from me or otherwise made powerless [locked up] because of my sobriety. My alcoholic mind is shut down, and my sober mind is alive and well.

As well, I don't accept that alcoholics relapse because of character defects or otherwise lacking in quality of personality. Relapses are made manifest from living a life which supports and nourishes alcoholism instead of living a practical common sense sober non-drinking life. For me, that sober life also includes living spiritually.
RobbyRobot: I'm sorry if I sounded like I was demeaning to you or others, that wasn't my intention, no offense intended and how you feel about your state is 100% yours, mine likewise. I was just trying to clear up some confusion about AA and AVRT, it is a thorny subject, but we all seek the same objective. AA has helped millions of people, and will continue to do so in the future.
My own attraction with RR, for the record, is I've only one main thing in my life I would like to change, my drinking. I'm a good father, loving husband, hard worker and devoted friend. The only thing my drinking has done is kept my wife awake on occasion, that I've already apologized for. AA requires me to search for unnecessary reasons to apologize to people for transgressions that never happened, just to join the club.
"To thine own self be true"
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm curious VP, how much time would you advise the newcomers posting here to take ito reflect on their own cognitive processes, developing an understanding of how their minds are working and researching the competing recovery options in a discerning way before finally setting down and making a plan for themselves?

You may recall when we're drinking there's not an abundance of spare hours left over to devote to all these subjects you say are best studied in advance of doing something about what's damaging our lives.

Tacking on another year or two for pre-sobriety research and careful decision making utilizing the several hours of clear thinking available to us each week might well wind up being a huge negative to those within our contact spheres.

But I do agree that we would wind up afterwards with more and better information than we had available to us before starting our examination of the subject. Some of that additional information may indeed carry quite a cost, but all knowledge is valuable.

Perhaps you could prepare a list of material for wet drunks to go through as a beginning course of study for them, on their good days.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by vinepest View Post
If we don't permit ourselves to be discerning when evaluating competing recovery options and reflecting on our own cognitive processes, we won't be making an informed decision when we finally do set down a plan for ourselves.
I'd agree.....unless you're a real alcoholic or drug addict, in which case.....the time for discernment has already come and gone.

I've yet to go to a funeral for someone who actively engaged in the 12 steps, had a psychic change as a result and recovered... I did, though, go to 2 funerals this summer (one for an alkie and one for heroine user) who died in that period of discernment. To suggest someone who's an active alkie or addict continue to "think" and not act.......well......I hope that's not what you're suggesting.

If I "wake up" and I'm standing in the middle of the freeway with cars baring down on me.....it's best to get off the road first, then figure out how the heck I got there later.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I've never seen any drunk work any program while still actively drinking. I can readily recall having both the Big Book and the RR book in plain sight while I was pouring that whiskey down my throat. I was going for the old "recovery by osmosis" method, which is somewhat amusing in hindsight. You need to put the bottle down long enough to get started.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Recovery books make excellent drink coasters. The many stains on my original Big Book would have gone on the table top if not, and I'd have caught hell from the ex.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I'd agree.....unless you're a real alcoholic or drug addict, in which case.....the time for discernment has already come and gone.

OH GOD, not the "Real Alcoholic" thing again....
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've no intention of becoming the "real alcoholic" nor would I wear it as a badge of honor. I want to never drink again, everything else is peripheral.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's really all of the above - or can be. And alcoholism is very different than alcohol abuse. If just not drinking was the answer, rehabs would turn out sober, well-adjusted people - or so would toilet bowls for that matter. Alcoholism is the thinking, the personality and all of the traits (which are remarkably similar among us all) that underly the drinking and it's characterized by people who find the fix for it through alcohol. Many people have the same issues we have but there is one thing missing for them - alcohol doesn't fix it for them. So, rather than just feeling and thinking the things we do, as many others do as well, we add the pile of horrific consequences that result from drinking on top of those core issues. Usually consequences get us introduced to recovery - but it's not what makes it stick. It's when we realize what's underneath the drinking and the consequnces. That's where spritual options come into play. Spirituality is deeper than medicine and psychology - it deals with who we are rather than just what we think or how we function biologically. It's about Being rather than doing. For some, once they open up to the vast freedom and insight that lies in the seeking of spiritual truth, the idea of the old freedom that drinking gave them - the treatment for their alcoholism - becomes repulsive and and useless. The realization that the freedom that came from alcohol was a lie finally hits deep into our core.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Talking

Originally Posted by pangur View Post
RobbyRobot: I'm sorry if I sounded like I was demeaning to you or others, that wasn't my intention, no offense intended and how you feel about your state is 100% yours, mine likewise. I was just trying to clear up some confusion about AA and AVRT, it is a thorny subject, but we all seek the same objective. AA has helped millions of people, and will continue to do so in the future.
My own attraction with RR, for the record, is I've only one main thing in my life I would like to change, my drinking. I'm a good father, loving husband, hard worker and devoted friend. The only thing my drinking has done is kept my wife awake on occasion, that I've already apologized for. AA requires me to search for unnecessary reasons to apologize to people for transgressions that never happened, just to join the club.
No problemo, Pangur. I wasn't offended so no worries about your intentions. Although RR and AVRT as a practical philosophy-in-action does not float my boat for sustaining my own sobriety, because I CHOOSE to have a higher power in my sobriety, I have absolute confidence that AVRT works perfectly well to sustain the sobrieties of whom ever can honestly and authentically so choose to make use of AVRT throughout their non-drinking lifetime.

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

IMHO,

Real alcoholic is a term used within AA, as defined by the AA Big Book, as a serious wake up call for members within the fellowship who are having difficulty keeping sober. As we can imagine, not everybody who gets a drunk on is an alcoholic whatsoever. As well, not everbody that dosen't drink or dosen't ever get a drunk going is an undiscovered alcoholic either.

Real alcoholic has no meaning outside of AA. To apply its meaning outside of AA circles is useless and worse because it creates a kind of social clic that can be used as a measurement of somebody's authenticity and moral standing spiritually.

I am a real alcoholic but not because I have alcoholism. I am a real alcoholic because I ascribe my illness of alcoholism to the AA definition as laid out in the Big Book. It's really as simple as that...

I embrace the AA understanding of alcoholism and practice AA steps in my daily living and because I do so, I am by default defined as a real alcoholic.

Others who do not ascribe their alcoholism to the AA definition, are no less alcoholic.

In both camps, if you will, we can find both problem drinkers and alcoholics. No single science, philosophy, religion, medical practice, or personal experience can define with supreme truth what is what for somebody else. At the end of the day, we all must be true to ourselves, and be responsible to our own understandings and definitions of what is or is not alcoholism.

AA has a workable and liviable understanding of alcoholism, and that particular understanding did not generally exist successfully in the public mind before AA. It is well experienced by countless drunks after all the decades since the birth of AA that it works in keeping chronic alcoholics sober for their entire lives. This is an accepted fact.

Other means and ways also exist which can and do keep chronic alcoholics sober too for their entire lives. This is also an accepted fact.

I am a real chronic alcoholic -- so what!? My stating so only discloses my acceptance of the AA understanding of alcoholism, and nothing more than that...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Real alcoholic has no meaning outside of AA.
Some people certainly do tend to forget this.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Lightbulb What Alcoholism Is?

I go by the medical definition of alcoholism:

Primary. Once a person develops alcoholism it becomes a stand alone illness. In this way alcoholism is not a symptom of another medical illness.

Chronic. Alcoholism develops over time. The progression from heavy drinking to alcoholism can be rapid or gradual.

Progressive. Simply meaning, once one has alcoholism it gets worse over time. Medical complications from alcoholism can be seriously debilitating.

Potentially Fatal. Untreated alcoholism can kill a person.

So my understanding of what alcoholism is is rather cut and dry. The probable cause and best treatments for alcoholism can be varied depending on a persons opinion, experience and philosophy of such a matter. What I know from my experience and the experiences of others like myself is, there is no one single treatment for alcoholism that is appropriate for everybody.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

To suggest someone who's an active alkie or addict continue to "think" and not act.......well......I hope that's not what you're suggesting.
Indeed it is not! (Recall the very first sentence of my last post.)

We don't need to suspend action while thinking carefully about the situation. But neither do we need to suspend our best judgment when taking action!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
I'm curious VP, how much time would you advise the newcomers posting here to take ito reflect on their own cognitive processes, developing an understanding of how their minds are working and researching the competing recovery options in a discerning way before finally setting down and making a plan for themselves?

You may recall when we're drinking there's not an abundance of spare hours left over to devote to all these subjects you say are best studied in advance of doing something about what's damaging our lives.

Tacking on another year or two for pre-sobriety research and careful decision making utilizing the several hours of clear thinking available to us each week might well wind up being a huge negative to those within our contact spheres.

But I do agree that we would wind up afterwards with more and better information than we had available to us before starting our examination of the subject. Some of that additional information may indeed carry quite a cost, but all knowledge is valuable.

Perhaps you could prepare a list of material for wet drunks to go through as a beginning course of study for them, on their good days.
This is obviously not what I was suggesting. However your sarcastically-expressed sentiments here are not altogether unexpected. As I mentioned two posts back, in alcoholic circles there is an unfortunate and dangerous bent towards rejecting certain kinds of careful and critical self-reflection during recovery.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Some can safely self reflect and recover from alcoholism, some can't. I would suggest, that for some, not all, too much self reflection in early recovery could take a person back out, hence ... dangerous.

Self reflection is useful to me now. But at first, I found it counterproductive, and still do at times... naval gazing is not always a good thing.

You and I probably don't disagree on a lot. But I do think that over intellectualization is not a particularly useful tool in early recovery, in real () alcoholics.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I've never seen any drunk work any program while still actively drinking. I can readily recall having both the Big Book and the RR book in plain sight while I was pouring that whiskey down my throat. I was going for the old "recovery by osmosis" method, which is somewhat amusing in hindsight. You need to put the bottle down long enough to get started.
Yeah, so true.

Back when I was still drinking, I lived in daily drunkeness with a guy who attended AA meetings, and he had a Big Book as well, naturally. Him and I would all too often get into really selfish drunken talks as we "discussed" the AA program and Big Book. He was always drinking it seemed, even as he attended AA. He did have a few days between drunks, but otherwise he was a rotten example of the program working. I had never at that time been to an AA meeting, and it was still years later that I finally got sober after attending my first meeting and doing a residential detox and rehab.

I don't believe that self-reflective thinking is really much of a problem if the alcoholic is thinking with a sober mind. Thinking with an alcoholic mind is of course a completely different experience and that kind of thinking only leads nowhere fast... of course.

Its really about the alcoholism and the sobriety -- the differences between the two experiences is absolutely remarkable. This is what is important, and not the actual experience of thinking or self-reflection, which is completely natural and healthy, imo.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It's amazing to me......how many people, especially those of you who've been around more than a handful of days, weeks, months or years still are freaked out by someone in AA's usage of the word "real." Anyway.....TU drove the same point home after my post and we're in agreement. If my usage of "real" upset someone, maybe that's something you need to take a look at.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's amazing to me......how many people, especially those of you who've been around more than a handful of days, weeks, months or years still are freaked out by someone in AA's usage of the word "real." Anyway.....TU drove the same point home after my post and we're in agreement. If my usage of "real" upset someone, maybe that's something you need to take a look at.

The term "Real Alcoholic" infers that there must be a lot of "Fake Alcoholics" out there. That's the inference my mind draws whenever I hear/see that phrase.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

The recovery community is loaded with phrases that are rife with projection, innuendo...double entendre, you'd have to be blind not to see that. Why do you think this is?