Notices

A long over due thank you...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Luweez

Talking A long over due thank you...

22 years ago my dad admitted he was an alcoholic, got treatment, joined AA and untimely changed our lives forever. My sister and I were 15& 17 at the time- silly and immature. When we went to support my Dad on his first 30 days sober I remember reading and giggling over the large, wooden signs with the AA slogans posted all over the room. We weren't being obnoxious, just a combination of nerves about all the changes that were happening in our family and feeling unsure about how AA worked and we were teenage GIRLS. Anyways, once the meeting started I really kind of understood more about why my dad was there, why he needed to be there and why he needed us to be there. After the meeting, while people were chatting and socializing, I was standing in the room just trying to absorb and an older gentleman came up to me, put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in my eyes,smiled, nodded and walked away. I now knew why I (me) was there. This mans simple gesture was by far one of the most profound experiences I have ever had (it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it and I can envision it like it happened yesterday) and it saved me and my dad. I joined Alateen a few weeks later and repaired my relationship with myself and with my dad. I have looked for this man at every special Occasion, birthday or other meeting I've gone too with my dad and have never seen him again. I think about him often and regret that he may not know that he changed someone's life.
So, thank you sir with the grey/white hair, the blue argyle
Sweater and the kindest touch ever. You changed a life and helped make it possible for me to say with all the pride in the world..." my name is Luweez and I am the daughter of a recovering alcoholic"