Why is it always tomorrow?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR thegunshow

D
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Like the wise old bear Smokey said "Only you can prevent forest fires" and in this case "Only You" can ensure that all tomorrows are clear and present or partly cloudy with a lingering case of the past. Best of luck with your choice!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I started on this thread about a month ago in the throes of a binge but you all new commenters are giving me a chuckle!

INH
Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nobody knows what will happen Tomorrow....and just as well
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks for having me. SR has been a lifesaver for me the last six months
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's really sick when I think about it, the days I go sober, I feel better and better each day. Drinking plenty of water, taking my vitamins, eating healthy. Then for some dumb*ss reason I think that I can go out with my friends for a friday night out. Next thing you know it's Saturday morning, I'm hungover and looking for my keys and wallet (not because I think I lost it, but because I need to hit up the store for more alcohol). That usually leads to Saturday-Sunday binge before I do it all over again on Monday. God I hate this life style.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You think you can go 'for a Friday night out' and not drink? Have you ever done that before? Don't you think that is a bit strange?

People who must wake up sober on Saturday are not in bars on Friday in my experience. You don't 'have to' do this anymore, honest.

Try this exercise. Imagine waking up sober on Saturday, what that would feel like, what you would be doing and so on. What would have happened the night before? Would you have rented a movie? Would you have surprised your Ma with a visit instead of a night out? It's easy to do this, eh1988, very easy, but you have to make a plan.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I hear you 1988, I really do only I am a daily drinker that is trying to stop. I always want to stop the day after up and until I want to go home and drink. I don't know when exactly that change occures but it does.

Right now I really don't want to drink there is so much better things that I should be doing than that. But that might end up doing it at the end of the day. I at some point make the choice I know that it is me making it and it is not subconcious or anything like that. I just don't know when, I am trying to remember last night and the exact moment that I gave in. I don't plan on drinking tonight, but I have said those exact words many times. I really just want to make it a week again, then try for two, so on and so forth.

INH
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
It's really sick when I think about it, the days I go sober, I feel better and better each day. Drinking plenty of water, taking my vitamins, eating healthy. Then for some dumb*ss reason I think that I can go out with my friends for a friday night out. Next thing you know it's Saturday morning, I'm hungover and looking for my keys and wallet (not because I think I lost it, but because I need to hit up the store for more alcohol). That usually leads to Saturday-Sunday binge before I do it all over again on Monday. God I hate this life style.
Ahhh..... ponder this for a bit: Do you REALLY feel better?

Physically, sure, you probably do. Is it possible that you don't feel mentally or spiritually better?

Back when I was trying to slow my drinking down I thought I felt better when I'd get a couple days under my belt. What I wasn't recognizing though, was that I was missing that "release" that booze gave me. Each day of "feeling better" also came with another pound of slight anxiety, nervousness, tension. Little things would start to irritate me. I'd start to get more frustrated and fed-up with how other ppl acted, how work was going, how ppl were treating me (or not treating me), etc. After a couple days, I'd start thinking about how good I was doing and how nice it would be to just chill out and/or go have some fun....... BAM..... right back at it.

I came to understand that alcoholism isn't so much a drinking problem as it is a "living life NOT drinking problem." <---that's what I couldn't do so well. (I couldn't drink and drive so well either but that's another story....lol).

"Not drinking" didn't solve my "living while not drinking problem." It was a necessary place to start though, because ya can't get to work on a "living life sober" problem if you're wasted. That's where AA filled the void for me. The steps, the lessons from other members, a good sponsor, and learning to trust a God of MY OWN PERSONAL understanding (and when it's a God of your own understanding, it's easier to trust that God...since you get to create a God you trust.....yanno? ) taught me how to live happily sober.

If you're interested in how that works Eh1988 (or anyone else for that matter), there's a 12-Step Recovery section on this site full of AA ppl who've found a solution to their "living life sober" problem who'd be more than happy to discuss it with you, show you the ropes, and help you get the same thing yourself.