Notices

NewYears Resolution..Quit Drinking??

Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

NewYears Resolution..Quit Drinking??

I am seeing a lot of newly sober people here at SR and at the AA meetings I attend. Struggling with sobriety has taught me a few things that I would like to share. Hopefully, I will help someone. IMO quitting alcohol is not as simple as most NewYears resolutions. Years of abusing alcohol/drugs has re-wired our brains & most people will find it necessary to seek help. Returning to alcohol use, unfortunently, is very common. I also have found that what may help me may not help others. Alcoholism is a very complex disease and IMO still not completely understood. Expect for one major "bender" I was completely sober in 2011. Hopefully, people that are just starting their sobriety journey will not be too hard on themselves. That is what is helping me stay sober now. I have learned to accept my past drama and am learning to live one day at a time with an eye and hopes for the future.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I agree with your sentiment - sobriety is not as easy as it sounds.

Had to add though that I don't think I've ever fulfilled any new years resolutions lol! Not even the easy ones like "Clean out the spare room"
Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like what you said about "accepting my past drama & learning to live one day at a time". Important stuff. I know dwelling on how stupid I was as a drunk is not helpful. I will always remember & not become complacent but allowing negative self-talk to take over is getting into a danger zone.

Congratulations on your sober time
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Ms Jax, it has taken me many years to accept some of things I did under the influence of booze. Fighting, panhandling for booze, stealing ect... I have never been arrested sober though. I feel as if only God has the right to judge me and today I think he will probably forgive me.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is very wise words JustFor1! Just the same as myself I too have accepted my past events. For everything that happened in the past has brought me up to this point. Being sobered for 5 months now has been amazing. And I met an amazing girl and I would have never had met her had I continued to drink.... it's not my first time staying sober but this time around something has changed. 5 months ago I was a wreck and I even recorded myself a day after my 4 day bender and I saw a broken down man who was desperate to stay sober. Today I'm someone different from that man. A better person.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job on an almost completely sober 2011. I don't post on here often, but this resonates with me because I've been ACTIVELY trying to get and stay sober for about 9 months and the entire time I've been fighting multiple court cases. I just keep telling myself that, if I don't drink or use drugs, I won't get arrested AGAIN. I've had a few short relapses, but, this time, at least I'm not in and out of Cook County jail. I regret not getting sober 4 years ago, but I know that I can't change the past.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's after the Holiday season too and I know in my area there were a lot more checkpoints and the like up. That means more DUI charges and alcohol related incidents. Some lawyers suggest their clients go to AA even before trial in the hopes of getting a lighter sentence. Some courts send these folks to rehab and those places send them to AA. There are a myriad of reasons.

I always had respect for the December celebrations. People who got sober in December baffle me because I was always a "New Years" guy. I actually came in October, got sober, was making 9th Step approaches in December and the thought that - "Hey this sobriety thing is really cool, maybe I'll just drink during the holidays and come back as a new Years Resolution" came to mind - a few times.

New Years Eve 2002, I left a meeting a was making coffee at and a fellow with about 8 years or so at the time pulled up and asked me if there was another meeting that evening. I said no, he said "Have you eaten ..." I said no, we got something to eat, drove around and pulled back up to my car at 11:55 PM, rapped a bit - looked down at the clock - 12:01 AM.

"Happy New Year dude" --- I remember saying to myself - and then to him, cause by then I had confessed my "thinking" to him - "Well, it's 2003, I guess I'm fresh out of excuses".

It was one of those "odd or God" moments they talk about I think.

Congrats JustFor1 and keep it up. This ride we're on is indescribably wonderful - it's a trip - and when it gets dull and boring I just need to use the tools I've been given to get right back into some juicy stuff and hearty living.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

James, I have been a "guest" of CookCounty Jail also. It is a horrible place and I am grateful that if I remain sober I most likely not have to see it again. At one time, I was dealing with multiple cases as well and needless to say it worked out okay. The first time I saw the jail I came out of a 2 day blackout in the holding cell just before morning bond court. I didn't even know my charges! I swore to God that I wouldn't drink/drug again yet a few months later I was back to booze/crack.