Notices

lost.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Don't go sulking off because you didn't like a few replies! People are getting tougher on you because you haven't really indicated what is going to be different this time...it can be frustrating to read I guess. You have a lot of problems on your plate right now so just get through the next few days of withdrawal and then sit down and figure out what you are going to change - and enough of the counseling and SR talk as your solution....find some REAL concrete, drastic and life-changing solutions!

Regarding the anxiety and panic, just keep reminding yourself that it will pass. We have all been there.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BHF

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
I will have to get sober before everyone turns there back on me especially my family.
Just my .02 from personal experience - It never worked when I tried to quit drinking for someone else. I stopped numerous times for varying durations when circumstances required it, but I couldn't "stay stopped" until I wanted sobriety for myself.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am 8 days sober today. That's the best I've done since relapsing last year. To be honest haven't really thought about plans or anything to stay sober. Going to have to find my own path through this because its a very individual problem we all face but it seems everyone recovers differently. I would have read the Rational Recovery book again but been really busy but will eventually get around to it. AA is not where I want to be either because I don't believe in spiritual awakenings and higher powers and I read the Big Book. I have heard some good stories at the meetings but find sober recovery more valuable as it is very accessible. I have had some cravings but convinced myself that its a bad idea and didn't pick up.

One day at a time.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Checkmate,

The beauty of Rational Recovery is that it's not one day at a time. I personally am too weak and impatient for that mentality. By the way:

I would have read the Rational Recovery book again but been really busy but will eventually get around to it.
I think that's your Beast talking.

Definitely give the allen Carr book a go as well if you haven't already. It's quite a light read and not too lengthy. So even if you're busy right now you should be able to read it.

All the best to you.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I know I will not drink tonight but if you said what about 2 years from now I would have to say I don't know 10 years I don't know. I think it's a big mental thing for me. When I'm off it I don't want it as much if at all. When I'm on it that's what I'm doing I suppose. I obviously haven't hit my rock bottom yet!!!!!!Where is it!!!!!!I want to live a happy, healthy life but if you say forever?????
There is no actual place of arrival that is "rock bottom" it is more a place of "when" rather than "where"

We all decide for ourselves when rock bottom is experienced. And we decide this either by accepting that we have reached the end of the line with our getting drunk -- or -- we decide that we have not yet again reached the end, and so, of course, there are more drunks in our future to be decidedly experienced.

In my possible future is a drunk waiting to happen. That drunk will absolutely happen if I dont put into action a life journey that not merely avoids that possible drunk, but totally completely makes impossible for that possible drunk to be experienced. No iff's and's or but's to it, you know?

Congrats on your eight days, Checkmate. Within your sober journey is the solution to your frustration and your dilemma. You've walked away from drinking before... you can do it again... maybe this time take real ownership that you decide what is what in your sobriety no matter what journey you take or don't take. We don't have a choice that we can not make a choice. Doing nothing is the same as getting drunk. Be true to yourself. You have courage. Stand up and be counted among the willingly sober.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good for you CM. You made 8 days and it looks as if you're communicating better.

Try just as hard as you can try.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Going to have to find my own path through this because its a very individual problem we all face but it seems everyone recovers differently.
You may think I'm picking on you in this thread, checkmate. It's not my intention. Is your statement true?

Dunno. I sat in a packed room last night filled with people that didn't have an individual problem. We all shared the same problem. And, believe it or not, everyone in that room recovered the same.

It's interesting, isn't it? A room full of people all with the same problem all recovered by taking the same 12 Steps. And then there is you, with your individual problem having some difficulty finding your individual solution that will work for you.