Notices

relaspe after treatment

Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

FYI. It was an inpatient program for 90 days and I was asked, "if I could manage it" to pay $25.00/wk. I paid $325.00 for the 3 months I was there. Those that were unemployed paid $0.00.

There are many AAs in our area that got their start in that Home, many would have died if it wasn't there. The Priest in '89 kept one of the "hard cases" there for 13 months and he is one of my best friends today in recovery.

Bob
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I am sober today and have been to over 7 treatments centers. Some in-patient, some out-patient, "sober living places" ect... I like to think that they eventually helped me but why didn't I get better after the first one then? I know I gave it 100% and truely wanted to quit but was unable to do so.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I am sober today and have been to over 7 treatments centers. Some in-patient, some out-patient, "sober living places" ect... I like to think that they eventually helped me but why didn't I get better after the first one then? I know I gave it 100% and truely wanted to quit but was unable to do so.
One of my buddies who went through the same Home as I did called it the "Discovery Home", not "Recovery Home". I thought he was being disrespectful.
Well, turns out he was absolutely right.... The 90 days just got me to the point where I could begin to accept and make sense of what AA was trying to tell me.
There is no "cure" for alcoholism. When you say "Why didn't I get better after the first one", it sounds like you were expecting to be relieved from the compulsion and obsession of alcohol and it's ISMs. When we attend AA meetings regularly after rehab, we learn that it doesn't work that way.

I attend meetings today so I can learn what happens to those who don't attend meetings ..... those who still think they can do it by themselves.

I wish the best of luck to everyone.

Bob R.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

jasper..Welcome...

Many of us had false starts before we actually quit drinking.
Please do begin again.....Step 1 and move forward....
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I am sober today and have been to over 7 treatments centers... I like to think that they eventually helped me but why didn't I get better after the first one then?
Because there is no "treatment" per se. Did they by any chance knock your knees out from under you and tell you that you would probably fail? The old "Look to your left, look to your right, only one in ten of you will make it. Who will it be?"
Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Because there is no "treatment" per se. Did they by any chance knock your knees out from under you and tell you that you would probably fail? The old "Look to your left, look to your right, only one in ten of you will make it. Who will it be?"
Yeah they did have me look to the left/right and say "odds are they won't be sober." After that statement I felt almost as if I shouldn't bother trying to get sober if I was going to relapse anyway.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I've been to one treatment center residential rehab doing three months back in 1981. I had one AA meeting before entering the rehab. I've been a sober member of AA during and since my rehab stay. It worked the first time for me. Before that, I'd spent years trying to quit without help for my alcoholism. I've been to jail, mental hospital, on the street, and whatever. There was not many expecting me to ever sober up. I was a write off.

I believe you when you say you gave 100%. Out of the 24 residents who were present the day I started in rehab, when I graduated 90 days later there were only four of us who still had unbroken sobriety. Alot of turnover is not surprising.

Besides doing a rigorous program, I for one in my first 30 days or so could have not cared any less about "getting sober".... all I honestly cared about was not getting drunk anymore. Sobriety and being spiritual meant nothing to me until I had a real sense of being done with getting drunk again.

As I learned how to stay sober I started to "get sober" and by the time I left / graduated my rehab, I knew two things about myself: [1] I didn't ever want to be drunk again and [2] I now knew how to *stay sober* and so I could honestly and faithfully make and keep [1] truthful and real each day of my life.