Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Nausea, and general discomfort not letting me eat while hungover, why is that?

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"The next day" I always wake up groaning. So much so, some of the girls I find in my bed in the morning have to leave because it's so annoying. When I get out of bed, I immediatly run to the kitchen and gulp down a bottle of water. I cannot make myself breakfast. The smell of food makes me even more sick. When I try to eat something, I usually end up hugging porcelain...in pain, trying to puke up air because I've probably already puked up my stomach's contents.

Some of my friends will go to Denny's after a night out. UGH! I just sit there, drunk, and make everyone laugh. I can't eat though. It's annoying!

Does this "not being able to eat" happen to anyone else except my father and I? Is it because of our drinking habits?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

-Jay
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

When we drink like guys like us tend to do, we actually poison ourselves with a toxic substance - when you look at it that way, it all makes sense Jay

D
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think almost everyone on this forum has had that experience. Alcohol was never meant to be in our system, especially at the level we use!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well, .................................................. .................... looks like you have two choices

1. Some 'hair of the dog' will settle you back down, of course that is something that alcoholics do.

or

2. Stop drinking, come join us, and you'll never have to feel that way again from drinking.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

You have reminded me of too many mornings in my life. I was poisoning myself to death. Life is so much better now and I really cherish the weekend mornings in particular.

I hope you can work out a way to deal with this.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

A little off topic, but this thread reminded me of how much I love not having to use red-eye drops in the mornings any more
Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree laurie I did hair of the dog just to feel normal until I figured out I wouldn't live long like this. It feels great to wake up and have energy and be hungry and the eye drop thing too.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by JayAngel View Post
"The next day" I always wake up groaning. So much so, some of the girls I find in my bed in the morning have to leave because it's so annoying. When I get out of bed, I immediatly run to the kitchen and gulp down a bottle of water. I cannot make myself breakfast. The smell of food makes me even more sick. When I try to eat something, I usually end up hugging porcelain...in pain, trying to puke up air because I've probably already puked up my stomach's contents.

Some of my friends will go to Denny's after a night out. UGH! I just sit there, drunk, and make everyone laugh. I can't eat though. It's annoying!

Does this "not being able to eat" happen to anyone else except my father and I? Is it because of our drinking habits?

-Jay
I don't want to scare you too badly, but fear is perhaps in order here.

It doesn't matter what quantity is "toxic" to you -- for you, alcohol is so toxic it leaves you even sicker than others who might tolerate it "better" than you do.

Here's the fear: ever hear of "aspiration pneumonia"? If you wake up so sick, you may even vomit in your sleep before you are fully conscious and able to clear the puke from your throat.

I'm sorry to be so graphic, but this can lead to "aspiration pneumonia", where you inhale the puke. The result is often fatal -- either immediately, or within a short time. Because puke is intensely damaging to the airways, and you end up "drowning" in your own body fluids.

FT
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Thanks for reminding me why I'm a nondrinker!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The poison concept/realization is an important one. Once you get your head around to the right way of thinking on alcohol it becomes much easier and logical to make a decision to change your life for the better. A future that doesn't include daily and ritual poisoning of our bodies.

Your body is equipped with defense mechanisms that are designed to keep you alive. The vomiting is supposed to be a clear message. It's funny how we just don't pick up on it.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You've hit that horrible cycle we all eventually get to. Drink, get drunk, blackout, wake up in the morning not remembering the night before and with headache, nausea, heaving, and all over "YUCK" feeling. You have indeed been poisoning your body and your body is reacting. As Laurie said, every morning you have two choices: either drink again so you can feel better or "normal" (and continue the cycle), or stop. That's pretty much it ... alcoholism being a progressive disease, things will only get worse if you continue. I hope you make the choice that will keep you alive. All the best to you.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

"Hair of the dog" was such a common remedy in my life at one time, it had a special designation on my shopping list.

"HOD" needed no deciphering for either me or my husband. We both knew what the letters meant, and its appearance on the shopping list was more frequent than I would ever have admitted during the time I was a consumer of alcohol. Thank GOD that period of my life is over.

FT

PS:

I was interested in the origin of this term, and it originated in Scotland in the 1600's. The saying originated in the belief that a cure for hydrophobia (rabies) or any disease contracted from a dog bite consisted of taking a hair of the dog that bit you and placing it in the wound. “In Scotland it is a popular belief that a few hairs of the dog that bit you applied to the wound will prevent evil consequences. Applied to drinks, it means, if overnight you have indulged too freely, take a glass of the same wine next morning to soothe the nerves. ‘If this dog do you bite, soon as out of your bed, take a hair of the tail in the morning.’” (Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1898)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Any input is appreciated.
Stop drinking.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A sincere thanks to everyone for taking time out of their day to respond to this thread. Monday morning, Martin Luther King Day, was the last time I felt this. I was a walking zombie the whole day. When you're friends and family are all telling you to take it easy with the drink, it should be clear to anyone.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

JayAngel. The idea of living life without drinking used to terrify me despite the mornings described. I was sober quite a while before I realised that the fear was driven by alcohol and addiction and disappears completely. Life is life, it is great to live without the struggle, torment and pain- new possibilities are beginning to open up in my life now I am 8 months sober.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Hangovers/withdrawal were the worst part of my drinking career, and more than anything else I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with them any longer.

JayAngel - it sounds like you're getting to that point too, where you don't want to deal with them any longer.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

-Jay
Looks like the part they leave out of the beer commercials.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can relate to that a lot. People who ate while hungover always blew my mind, because when I was hungover I was doing good to not be getting intimate with the toilet and puking up everything I'd eaten and drank the night before when I was hungover. And since I was usually hungover in the mornings I never ate in the mornings.

Everybody is different, some people don't vomit but still feel like death the morning after drinking, some (like myself and from the sounds of it yourself) end up vomiting their guts out after drinking, some people don't even get hangovers. But alcohol is a poison, and since your body's main way of getting poison out is through vomiting, it makes a lot of sense that your stomach isn't too happy with you after being slammed with booze.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to be one of those people that would enjoy a greasy breakfast while hungover. Then my drinking got so out of control that I started feeling like I was dying in the morning - heart racing, nausea, no appetite, making myself puke to feel a little better, etc. It went from "bad hangover" to scary physical withdrawal symptoms pretty quick - and I still drank for years after! But substituted breakfast with more vodka. Damn that was stupid.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JEANS

I love this thread. I was really missing alcohol before and it's reminded me exactly why I shouldn't drink.

I remember those hangovers all too well. Everytime I drank I woke up the next morning thinking 'yes I feel great' then by noon my hangover would kick in and i'd start heaving and my heart would race so fast I was terrified I'd have a heart attack. I'd throw up for about 8 hours solid and I thought I was dying, not to mention the shakes and the fever. I genuinely thought this was normal and that all girls had hangovers like this. I used to be able to use hair of the dog but in the last 3 years if I tried to drink alcohol to cure my hangover I would throw up straight away. I convinced myself that because I could no longer drink everyday it meant I wasn't an alcoholic.

Thanks for you thread, I'm no longer craving