Notices

What works for YOU?

Old 12-15-2003, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna !

I have faith it will all turn out OK I bloody hope so! He is my ONLY family ! Nah! it will be fine , I have asked God to let me know when the timing is right , and to have His hand in this , and I believe He will!

HUGx
lee
Old 12-15-2003, 04:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a great Idea Chy. I have mostly used AA. However, I have found having
an open mind has helped by adding extra tools to work with. As I have read on these boards it takes many bricks to build a recovery foundation. In my foundation the same bricks didn't
always work. I had to find different bricks to fill those odd spaces. In order
to find these I had to go to different
hardware stores. I feel it is the finished
product we should judge and not where
one bought the supplies. Enjoy your recovery folks, we have all worked hard for it. Don W
Old 12-16-2003, 07:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi chi & everyone, (6 weeks now, woooohooo!!!!)

i'm very interested in the book that you are talking about in
this thread, i want to buy it. The last time i quit (which wasnt
very long!) i went to the AA meetings and didn't like them at all,
but i stayed with them until i failed. this time i decided to go
it on my own and i'm actually doing very well. but i do think
that learning a little more about what makes my mind tic
sounds interesting. going to unhooked.com now!!

tj
Old 12-16-2003, 07:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

oops!!! sorry chy, i spelled your name wrong. hugs!!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Chy

No problems.. you should try spelling my entire first name! LOL.. anyway Under the Influence by Milan.. is another excellant book if your shopping for goodl lit.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Chy!

This is a good subject. I don't use AA. What helped me was going to a personal drug addiction counseler (also a recovering alcoholic) right after I got out of detox. It helped me put into perspective why I was drinking. I got to the root of a lot of things.

I also have a strong religous core, and faith in God, that has helped keep me going. I've looked to the bible to help me get my life back on track. The bible may be an old book, but there's still a lot of good pointers in there on how to lead a happy life - if only more people would listen.

I turned my back on all of that when I was drinking, and became selfish and bitter, but now my relationship with God is back where it should be. He keeps me going every day. That's the only thing I know. Oh, and never underestimate the power of prayer!!!

PG
Old 12-17-2003, 07:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Paused

Good Morning...we've done this so long by-self...and for many of us self was not enough...how many of us laid there in our isolation--and didn't somehow, in the deepest core of our being--want 'it' to be different...how many of us laid there thinking there is no hope...thinking that we were so different--in our journey many of sought to destroy the love and caring that came from those closest to us--because we could not love ourselves...I remember well the first time that I sought help for my alcoholism...My doctor told me to take anabuse and go to AA...I looked at him like he was insane...and told him...Jeez doc, I can't quit drinking--I'm not an alcoholic...can't hardly remember the next year or so...my first meeting was the 28th of december of 1985...and I remember two things very well...first people were laughing...from the belly and all I could ask myself was 'how long has it been since I've had a good laugh...couldn't not remember...and the 2nd thing was that I realized that there were others just like me...that I wasn't alone...I cried tears of relief...Emett Fox once said that the advent of the 12-step program was the greatest gift given to the world in the last 400 years...if we look at the 12-step programs as SPIRITUALLY BASED SUPPORT GROUPS...then we can accept that others will be there for us in the difficult parts of the journey to recovery...are there other programs and journeys that do similar things...yes...we have but to find them and UTILIZE them...it is common for us to analyze everything...AA is a tool that can be used (utilized not analyzed) to assist many of us to the journey of understanding our truth and therefore enabling us to change for the better...the ultimate goal--and this is my personal opinion--is to reach some level of understanding of our purpose in life and the meaning of our existance...only then can we walk through life with some sense serenity...that means if we choose to do the same old things---time and time again--without change being evident...then we have to do something different...I can remember being quite amazed in my first meeting that I wasn't in a room full of derelict drunks...doctors, lawyers, county commissioners, nurses, automechanics, priests...all filled those rooms and still do...this is not about who you are...it is about what we have become...AA is a tool...when used properly...to the best of our ability...simply helps us to remodel the house...body/mind/and spirit...Yet when one remodels the house one tool is sometimes not enough...we would all be wise to examine and seize new tools as they become available to us to increase the odds of continued recovery...dr dave
Old 12-17-2003, 12:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all!
I'm three and a half years sober and feel I owe it to both a divine force and a vivid memory. If you can dredge up the worst possible moment of your alcoholic life and bring it to the front of your mind everytime you start romanticizing the liquor...it's worked for me thus far. 3 hours of dry heaves lying on my bathroom floor brings me right back. I NEVER want to be there again!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi doc.. thanks for articulating my thoughts!

Bandmaster.. welcome and congrats on doing it your way.. I remain firm in my convicton each of us finds a way that works... and what ever works for you can only be a good thing!