Notices

First big test

Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First big test

Ok Day 5 out of detox :-) I thought my test was going to be tomorrow when my boyfriend and I are going to a friend's house to watch some of the games now the test is I normally see these people every Sunday and we all drink together but now my boyfriend has informed me he wants to bring some of the guys over tonight to watch the game which is fine he asked me first. I'm used to drinking around these guys it helps me to be more social. So wish me luck :-) I feel I will be fine but the desire will defently be threre. Thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You need to make a plan. What you will eat and drink: soda, coffee or tea, whatever you like. And some food that will feel like a game-day treat but not a booze accompaniment.

Then, plan an escape if you need it, and talk it over with the boyfriend in advance. Tell him it's not about him or his friends, but just where you are in your life journey.

Have a friend of yours on tap for a quick call if you need to get out of there; or plan a walk, a trip to a coffee shop, etc. if it gets bad. Do you have a dog you can take for a walk?

Avoid sitting in the smell of alcohol. Put some perfume on your wrists and put your face in that when you need it.

Good luck and hang in!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This get together doesn't sound like a great idea, with you so newly out of detox. If it absolutely must take place maybe you could make a dinner or movie date with a sober friend. Or go to a sober friends house and hang. I seriously attribute much of my initial success at sobriety to avoiding situations like these for the first 5 months of sobriety.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think it is a great idea either. I really don't think having alcohol present in your home so soon out of detox is a smart idea. Your friends and boyfriend should recognize that. I am a musician and I have to be around alcohol when I work but I have a distraction and something to focus on while I am playing. But in my home I made it very clear not to have any alcohol present. I think the suggestions given are great but maybe it is too soon?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We never have alcohol in our home.
I believe that's why it says in the lord's Prayer: "Lead us not into temptation". My old sponsor said that he didn't have to be lead into temptation, that he could easily find it himself.
hope, you are going to have to change the way you did some things in the past and this weekend party thing may just be one of them. Hopefully you have a sponsor and can quickly bail on this game gathering if it gets tense. Best of luck to you.
Bob
Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes, I like to think of recovery as a kind of weightlifting programme - I can lift a metaphorical 300 pounds nowadays, but I had to work up to that

Remembner not to lift too much too soon GEH

I think there's some good advice here - and MsJax's suggestions are good ones!

D
Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice I went to the gym and the boys were here when I got back they are so into the game they don't know I'm here :-) I'm going to cook for a friend who's father died the other day. The boys don't pressure me it's nice to be around people I've felt alone for a few days I don't think I'm going to have a problem tonight so far no desire I think it's going to be a good night :-) thanks everyone
Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck and stay strong!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The night went great! The next day we went to a friends house to watch the 2 games I had a great time and even got a compliment from one of the guys I used to drink with every weekend he said I looked better my color and eyes and I seemed happier :-) I even got to be the dd on the way home which was so fun I had four really drunk guys to drop off but listening to them joke and be stupid was entertaining. Love my friends they all know what's going on with me and are very supportive and it felt good to be able to take care of them make sure they got home safe and still have fun!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great green !! Keep moving forward but cover your behind.