Notices

bit confused and scared :(

Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy bit confused and scared :(

Hi people
im writing to find out what others think of results i recieved from docotors. I had a blood test to check how my liver is going and i have an ultra sound next week as i wasnt able to get an earlier appointment.
Anyway, since then I recieved a letter to say that my blood tests were "abnormal but not serious" and that i need to make another appointment with doctor for follow up treatment. It also said to make the appointment in the next 2 weeks (which i have) and that it is not urgent and not to be concerned in the meantime.
Im curious because i thought blood tests just tell you if something is wrong and not necessarily how bad the damage is. Im freaking out a bit, if anyone has any viewpoints on this please let me know. I realise that i cannot seek medical advice from on here but i am seeing a doctor, just that there is a bit of nervous waiting in the meantime :/
Thank you
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also I havnt drunk anything for 1 month except I had about a bottle of wine when i was out one night (stupid i know). I was feeling pain around liver area which is what made me seek professional support. the pain had disapeared with no drinking but came back after i had that wine and also i had fish and chips 2 nights ago and had pain after that too. i thought maybe it was the fatty food making my liver struggle to process it.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My viewpoint is "don't freak out". What good does it do. You'll find out what's happening when you go to the next appointment.
"it is not urgent and not to be concerned in the meantime. " There, take their advice.
Best of luck wino5.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree. If it was something very serious, they would have had you report to the ER or make room for you to get an emergency appointment at their offices. I believe that they probably found something that needs to be looked at and discussed with you, but it isn't life threatening or anything that needs immediate attention.

I too hope you will take their message to not go ballistic in the meantime to heart. Worry won't help a thing in the world. Why not do something extra special for yourself today to get your mind off it?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Are you more worried about your health or about what the doctor might say at your followup appointment like you had better stop drinking?
If it is about your health take his words for what they are and try not to stress out about it.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((wino5))) - I can't give medical advice, but I can tell you this. They usually check liver enzymes, among other things, if you have a history of abusing alcohol. The amount of elevation of the enzymes gives an indication of how much your liver has been affected.

Many, many people here have come on with elevated liver enzymes, which return to normal after choosing recovery.

I'm really glad you are following up on this with your doctor. You may want to jot down some questions you have for your doctor. I don't know about you, but I can think of all KINDS of questions until I walk in the office...therefore I write them down when I think of them

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Suki, am going away for a short holiday on Tuesday so will try enjoy that

fubarcdn it is definately fear of the results. I feel much better being off alcohol and am worried about health because I have been around a lot of death lately and am scared out of my mind of it. Also I am 31 and want kids and i have read that with cirhosis it is dangerous to have children so im worried i wont be able to.

Impuurfect, I will jot down questions, that is a good idea! Thank you for sharing the info you have about liver enzymes, and it makes me feel less alone to know that that is why many people on this forum joined and chose to abstain
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((wino))) - it's a good thing when someone is scared into looking what they're doing to their body, but I will tell you - alcoholism/addiction is definitely cunning and that fear can get "forgotten".

Jail, and the possibility of prison was MY wake up call. However, if I hadn't reached out for support here, and from family/friends, I seriously doubt that fear would have kept me clean. It's a great first step, as is going to your doctor. Just be aware that it's not the quitting that's so hard (though it often is), it's the not picking back up later on down the road.

The GOOD news is, there is a ton of experience, strength and hope right here, more is available f2f if you want to try that. We help each other, we help ourselves, and we DO recover.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wino5 View Post
Hi people
im writing to find out what others think of results i recieved from docotors. I had a blood test to check how my liver is going and i have an ultra sound next week as i wasnt able to get an earlier appointment.
Anyway, since then I recieved a letter to say that my blood tests were "abnormal but not serious" and that i need to make another appointment with doctor for follow up treatment. It also said to make the appointment in the next 2 weeks (which i have) and that it is not urgent and not to be concerned in the meantime.
Im curious because i thought blood tests just tell you if something is wrong and not necessarily how bad the damage is. Im freaking out a bit, if anyone has any viewpoints on this please let me know. I realise that i cannot seek medical advice from on here but i am seeing a doctor, just that there is a bit of nervous waiting in the meantime :/
Thank you

Hi,

I am a MLT (Medical Lab Tech) and though Im not going to give any advice, other than to say, please follow up with your doctor as you are requested to.

You are correct. Blood tests will certainly tell if something is wrong. You are incorrect when thinking that blood tests can not tell just how wrong something is.

Example, a doctor can tell by blood work if you are drinking. A doctor can also tell by a blood test just how much you have consumed.

Just the same, a doctor can tell if your alcohol has damaged your liver, a doctor can also tell just how much damage is done. This is usually done Liver enzymes (AST, ALT, GGT, BILI). A CBC (RBC, MCV) will also help in the quest to see if a patient is a chronic alcoholic. Vitamin levels for an alcoholic can be abnormal as well.

Beings your results are "slightly abnormal", this may be a good time to evaluate what your alcohol is doing to your body and maybe make some changes.

Keep in mind that a lot of peoples labs run a bit abnormal and it's normal for them. It's when your numbers are very abnormal that is a concern. If things were really bad, your doctor would have had you come in right away, or even have you report to the nearest E.R.

Again, I am not giving any advice. Make sure you follow up with your doctor. Most important, be honest with your doctor regarding the amount of alcohol you consume.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wino5 View Post
Thanks Suki, am going away for a short holiday on Tuesday so will try enjoy that

fubarcdn it is definately fear of the results. I feel much better being off alcohol and am worried about health because I have been around a lot of death lately and am scared out of my mind of it. Also I am 31 and want kids and i have read that with cirhosis it is dangerous to have children so im worried i wont be able to.

Impuurfect, I will jot down questions, that is a good idea! Thank you for sharing the info you have about liver enzymes, and it makes me feel less alone to know that that is why many people on this forum joined and chose to abstain
I believe you stated in another thread that you didn't attend AA... I'm wondering why not.
Bob from the colonies.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dont want to go to AA i dont feel comfortable exposing myself infront of a group of people and although im sure it is a safe space, i feel more comfortable being in a more private setting when sharing my personal affairs. I am booking myself into seeing an AOD counsellor, that is a big enough step for me at this stage.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah78 View Post
I've been in your exact shoes and I know how scary it is to sit and wait. I have the same symptoms as you and have a fatty liver. I too, have issues processing fatty foods (sometimes) and also have a large gallstone. I believe though it's my liver, yet my blood work has always been normal. I am a bit of medical mystery and docs say its ibs..

All I know for sure, is when I drink iI get pain over liver, and when I abstain pain goes away and i feel 100% better if not normal.

The fear has not helped in keeping me sober I might add. It's very cunning. Now I have to accept (DAILY) my alcoholism and the likelihood it will kill me if I continue to drink. I read the Big Book, occasionally attend AA (should be more I think) and take daily inventory( I try to keep goal focused and what I want to accomplish in terms of health, motherhood, spirituality etc..I also assess my reactions to daily stresses, I am a highly reactive and sensitive person, which is a very bad combo for an addict)

I am also seeking therapy, specifically for addiction and low self esteem.

oh I am 33 and realize I will prob never be healthy enough, liver wise, to have more children ( I have two now) it's very sad, but a cold hard reality of the seriousness of this disease. At this point I imagine I am prob in early cirrhosis stages...when I drank in the last year I felt like death for up to a week afterwards.

This is my cold hard truth. Alcoholism is anything but glamorous.

So, listen and trust your docs and take action now, do everything you can and I hope it all turns out well for you!! Congrats on one month

Sarah
Thank you for your advice Sarah
im going to sound like a real hypocrite here but it seems you are self diagnosing like i have been attempting to do before really knowing what is going on within the body. maybe you still can have more children and just need to find out from the doctor?

As for everyones comments about fear being a temporary reason for abstinence and how it is often not long lasting, I understand what you are saying. I guess I just believe that I have the strength within me to stop. Without that belief i feel there is little hope of change happening at all. Basically what i am saying is that it is not fear alone causing me to stop, it is also a desire to continue living without alcohol and believing that I can.