Notices

worried about withdrawls

Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

worried about withdrawls

Hello,

I'm in my 30's. I became a weekend binge drinker in college. Over the last 3-4 years I have become almost a daily drinker. A day or two off here and there but not many. I usually drink a six pack of beer every night. I want to quit but I'm affraid of withdrawal and all the deadly results if I quit cold turkey on my own. But I'm also worried about effects on my life if I go to a doctor about it. I want to try it on my own first. Other than drinking I am relatively healthy. I excercise about 5 days per week lifting weights and martial arts/mma training. I eat very healthy and at least 2 good sized meals per day and snacks of fruit, veggies and nuts usually. What are the odds I would have life threatening withdrawls coming off six beers per day? It seems like a small ammount compared to other people. I have gone 2-5 days sober recently and my withdrawl is generally like hunger pains/craving. I never had shakes, sweats or anything more severe than anxiety. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you have any doubt, you should see your doctor. I'm not sure what kind of effect on your life going to a doctor will have. Don't let paranoia get in the way of getting better.

I drank more than you, quit cold turkey, didn't suffer any deadly results. But that's me. Others might chime in with completely different stories. Therefore, see a doctor.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I am a hypochondriac and reading all about these horrific physical withdrawals I was afraid to stop drinking. I was also sick of being on this vicious cycle of drinking and I was admitted into psych unit. I was monitored for four days and thankfully didnt have withdrawals and now I dont want to drink bc I scared myself enough not to pick it up. I was even more afraid of hospitals but it wasnt so bad. My point is sometimes we are too scared to get help but it is well worth it in the long run.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Glad to know you are heading into a sober life...the sooner you begin the better.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement. This forum has already helped me a great deal even though I haven't made the big step yet
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter13 View Post
But I'm also worried about effects on my life if I go to a doctor about it. I want to try it on my own first.
This makes no sense...If you are being honest with us here about your drinking...6 beers a day..(I was drinking about 4 times that much when I quit.)
It was 6 beers a day at one point..But that was awhile ago. So if you are being honest...And you tell your doctor that...He may tell you to do it on your own....If you lie to him....That could affect your life...I really don't see a reason for not consulting a doctor first. Unless....It's a little more than that...maybe?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
This makes no sense...If you are being honest with us here about your drinking...6 beers a day..(I was drinking about 4 times that much when I quit.)
It was 6 beers a day at one point..But that was awhile ago. So if you are being honest...And you tell your doctor that...He may tell you to do it on your own....If you lie to him....That could affect your life...I really don't see a reason for not consulting a doctor first. Unless....It's a little more than that...maybe?
No, I am being honest. Sure there have been days on the weekend where I have been up to 8-10 beers in a night. But on average I have 6 a night. I usually buy a six pack every day and don't keep anything else in the house to keep me to that limit. My concern with talking to my doctor is having it on my record because I've heard that can negatively effect things like jobs and insurance, etc. I figure if I can go it alone it would be best to try that first for those reasons. I have gone 5 days a few months ago and had no bad effects so I am hoping that will still be the case.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

It wont be on your record unless you have been arrested or have criminal charges but getting help for an addiction is kept confidential. I know my eleven days in a psych unit is confidential.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My concern with talking to my doctor is having it on my record because I've heard that can negatively effect things like jobs and insurance, etc.
That's total BS...I think you have a better chance of reading about it in the Enquirer....Hey...If you want to do it on your own...What can I say.....At least you aren't drinking a case a day.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input. From reading a lot of other stories here, I do realize that my drinking is not as bad as some people as far as the amount per day and I'm thankfull for that. That is why I hope to address it sooner than later because I know if I don't it probably will be a case a day in a few years.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input. From reading a lot of other stories here, I do realize that my drinking is not as bad as some people as far as the amount per day and I'm thankfull for that. That is why I hope to address it sooner than later because I know if I don't it probably will be a case a day in a few years.
If only I was smart enough to do that....I think I needed every drink I ever had...And boy did it beat me up good. It cost me everything.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

6 beers a night may not be as much as some other drinkers, but what's really the point of comparing? You've identified that drinking is a problem for you, and you have a desire to do something about it.

Your drinking pattern generally sounds a lot like mine was - and like you, I otherwise ate well, and exercised regularly (not wussy stuff either, I'm talking like Crossfit and stuff) as my own way of trying to negate the effects of my beer drinking. Of course, not being able to properly digest my food prevented me from getting beneficial aspects of food, and feeling physically like poo prevented me from reaping the beneficial rewards of physical activity.

There's an analogy I like to use when it comes to working out while drinking heavily - it's like constantly trying to run up a down escalator. If you run hard enough and keep going, you'll bit-by-bit make it closer to the top. But eventually, you're going to collapse and head straight back to the bottom. Imagine taking out the booze factor and just running up a set of stairs instead?

No one here can give you medical advice about how bad your withdrawals will be, but you shouldn't for a second worry about going to see your doctor. Only your doctor can give you the answers, and doctor-patient relations are VERY confidential. They do not give out your medical information to ANYONE unless you give him/her express permission to do so. Whoever told you otherwise was 100% wrong.

Please don't let your fear of confidentiality prevent you from getting real medical advice, or prevent you from trying to tackle this issue altogether.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If the fear of dangerous withdrawal symptoms is stopping you from quitting, you may want to look up information on factors that contribute to seizures, etc. Find out how much of a risk you are at (if that's possible).
This is just me but I'm a female 5' 4" 130 lbs. I was a daily drinker for about 18 years, consuming a large bottle of wine per night, at least. To the point I had the shakes and sweats by mid-afternoon when the alcohol was leaving my system. I have been sober for seventeen days. I suffer from insomnia, night sweats and crave sugar. BUT, otherwise I feel mentally and physically better than I have in many years.
Best wishes to you. Keep in the loop. I hope to hear good news from you soon.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried So after 1 last bender with some friends where I drank more than I have in about six months, I decided to stop cold turkey on my own. I have some valium that my dr gave me a while ago so I figured I would self medicate with 5-10mg per day for the first few days. Today is day 3 and I started to feel really anxious and heart racing and light headed etc. After urging from a close friend I tried to see my dr but can't get an appointment till next week. I was feeling strange enough that I left work and went to the er. I talked to the intake nurse and told her I drink 6 beers every night sometimes up to 10 and I probably had in the range of 15 drinks the last night I drank. She basically laughed at me and said 6 beers per day isn't really that much and she didn't see any trembles or anything and my heart rate was 58 which is really good and my bp was 140/80 ( I do have high bp and take meds for that). She said there was nothing wrong other than maybe anxiety and the valium I took should take care of it. Anyways, I walked out without hanging out to see a doctor. So I plan on just not drinking and taking 1 or 2 valium a day until I'm at 5 days off alcohol and then getting rid of the valium.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you get concerned go back and insist on seeing a Dr.

D
Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok, Welcome and thanks for posting.

Your story sounds a lot like mine when I was in my 30's, "I am going to "quit" drinking the way I drink"
I tried for 35 years. I no longer tried the "quit" routine, for me it did not work.

There is a cycle, "Terrible Cycle in Motion" was shown to me by a recovered ex drinker when I found a place to sort things out.

It can start anywhere you like, think of it as a spinning wheel. As life goes on, it spins faster and faster each time you drink and your drinking is causing problems that are difficult to solve.
Some get off the wheel, some don't.

It starts somewhere, but I'll number each phase of the cycle, you can change the numbering to suit your own current situation.

1: We Become Restless, Irritable and Discontent.

2: Unless we can again experience the sense of ease and comfort by taking a few drinks. ( the thought of a drink )

3: However, we are unable to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation...,

4: Therefore we are without defense against the first drink.

5:And hence we succumb to the desire again, ( pick up a drink, obsession)

6:And the phenomenon of craving develops. ( physical craving, if you have it)

7: And so we pass through the well known stages of a spree,
( unable to stop drinking once we start )

8: Emerging remorseful. ( the day after )

9:With a firm resolution not to drink again ( never again, I "quit")

10: No time limit between this point and back to 1 again to resume the cycle.

1: We Become Restless, Irritable and Discontent.
So where does the problem drinker get off this spinning wheel?

Preferably at point 2, " the insane thought that we can try it one more time to drink normally".

Problem is, Point 1 will return again, have to find something BEFORE the next drink to simmer down point 1 before picking up a drink. ( Restless, Irritable and Discontent ).
Need to find something else to replace the drink.
In my experience, medication, either self ( street drugs ) or prescribed meds. did not work, I simply took more, and drank again!

However, DO do what your doctor suggests if that is the case.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I tried So after 1 last bender with some friends where I drank more than I have in about six months, I decided to stop cold turkey on my own. I have some valium that my dr gave me a while ago so I figured I would self medicate with 5-10mg per day for the first few days. Today is day 3 and I started to feel really anxious and heart racing and light headed etc. After urging from a close friend I tried to see my dr but can't get an appointment till next week. I was feeling strange enough that I left work and went to the er. I talked to the intake nurse and told her I drink 6 beers every night sometimes up to 10 and I probably had in the range of 15 drinks the last night I drank. She basically laughed at me and said 6 beers per day isn't really that much and she didn't see any trembles or anything and my heart rate was 58 which is really good and my bp was 140/80 ( I do have high bp and take meds for that). She said there was nothing wrong other than maybe anxiety and the valium I took should take care of it. Anyways, I walked out without hanging out to see a doctor. So I plan on just not drinking and taking 1 or 2 valium a day until I'm at 5 days off alcohol and then getting rid of the valium.

Wow, I'm appalled at the way they treated you.

If you are still feeling uncomfortable go back and, as Dee said, insist on seeing the doctor.

A six pack a day may not sound like "a lot", but let's look at this realistically... the people I know in my life who are not really drinkers, just average joes, drink probably once every other month, and 4 at the most. So compared to a "normal" person, you're drinking 250ish drinks MORE than them in the same amount of time. Sure, that may be less that another alcoholic, but it's by no means healthy!

Here's a post from "Giggletron" from a previous thread - I hope he doesn't mind my reposting...

I'm going to tell you something that I wish someone had told me when I decided to self-detox back in August--you will read about other people, people who drink more than you do and people who have been drinking for far longer, saying that they got through self-detox without any major complications. It is *not* a good indicator of whether you will be able to do it.

I learned this the hard way. I had "only" been a daily drinker for 8 months or so, and my consumption only increased over 5-6 units a day in the last 2 months. I called my doctor for help to stop. I called Gateway. No one told me that there was a medical risk. I've never been one to go to the doctor unless I'm bleeding or broken, so I thought I was okay.

Within 24 hours of throwing all of my alcohol down the drain, I was confused and disoriented. I could not speak clearly. Like Laurie, I could feel something was going so incredibly wrong. I felt like I knew I was going to die. I called 911 and thankfully my ambulance made it to the ER before I had my grand mal seizures. I never expected it. Obviously my doctors didn't expect it either. If you don't go to the ER now, please make sure someone is checking on you throughout the next several days. Tell them to call 911 if you're not responsive or are exhibiting the symptoms of DTs.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ted-detox.html

It seems that Giggletron was drinking about the same as you - only just started drinking daily, and only got up to 5-6+ a night in the last two months (so the majority of the time was only 6 a night), and his experience was horrific...

I hope you're feeling better now, but if you're not go back there and if they won't see you just hang around the waiting room until you feel safe to go home. Better to have a seizure in the waiting room than in the car on the way back home.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. I was also a bit taken back by the reaction of the ER nurse but I do live in Los Angeles and I'm sure they see dozens of people in worse shape than me every day so maybe she is jaded. They also have been known to let people die in the waiting rooms at hospitals in this city so I am also jaded by the health care system here.

A bit more background on myself. I have always been a hypochondriac and had anxiety problems. My anxiety led to several regular panic attacks when I was 19-20, which is right around when I really started drinking regularly and found alcohol helped with the anxiety issues. I am sure reading worst case scenarios has caused me anxiety/panic now which is what made me feel like I needed to go to a doctor or er today. I do feel much better now, granted it was after taking another valium. Of course I don't think treating one addiction by using another addictive substance is a good idea but my doctor already told me she would not give me any refills on that (she gave it to me for back muscle spasms a few months ago). But since it is used to treat withdrawal , I figure taking 1-2 pills a day for the first 5 days to take the edge off and maybe prevent more serious side effects is ok.

While I know 6 beers a day (or 10 or 12 on a weekend night partying) isn't as much as some other people , I do know it's too much for me. I have tried cutting back and did so succesfully for a while where I drank every other day and then maybe only 4 beers in a night but it always goes back to drinking until I am somewhat drunk. I just can not have 1 or 2 drinks and stop there and I know that's a problem. There is also a history of alcohol and substance abuse in my immediate and extended family so I know I am playing with fire if I don't just flat out quit once and for all. My cousin who was 2 years younger than me died 6 months ago after a night of drinking and taking pain killers. And I know if I don't stop where I am now I will be drinking a 750 of liquor a day and drinking all day long in a matter of time whether it's 2 years from now, 10 years or whatever and I don't want that.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 and I realized this is now the longest I've gone without at least one drink in 13 years. Plenty of physical cravings but mentally I have had no desire to drink. I've walked down store aisles with alcohol and kept walking past. On to the next day
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 6 days quitter13

D