Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Got denied life insurance at age 37 in perfect health..

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prior diagnosis of alcohol abuse screwed my family.. Just a heads up..

I actually still have 100k worth, but went for the increase they had to see the medical records. Even though there was nothing there health wise, I was treated for alcoholism.. (which I guess is health).. Just a scar I have to live with..
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Don't quote me but I think you need a few years sober for insurance co's to be more accepting AND one insurance co denial does not mean all will deny you... That was my understanding
Old 01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I'm glad you posted this, because whenever I have warned people about this on here before, twenty voices jump in saying otherwise. Very few people seem to understand how the insurance industry works in the United States, or the ramifications of having a diagnosis of alcohol dependence on your record. I could post some details, but that would probably start a chorus.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I'm glad you posted this, because whenever I have warned people about this on here before, twenty voices jump in saying otherwise. Very few people seem to understand how the insurance industry works in the United States, or the ramifications of having a diagnosis of alcohol dependence on your record. I could post some details, but that would probably start a chorus.
I saw this with my parents, who are both alcoholics (my dad has since passed from alcohol-related dementia). Definitely a "red flag" for insurance companies.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted this, because whenever I have warned people about this on here before, twenty voices jump in saying otherwise. Very few people seem to understand how the insurance industry works in the United States, or the ramifications of having a diagnosis of alcohol dependence or even just "treatment" on your record.
I was well aware of it being a huge red flag... I didn't even realize I signed a medical records waiver for the increase.. My wife's father is the one that got us the original policy and the new one (that I was denied for).. Her family does not know I ever had issues with alcohol... So this creates a new set of problems.. My wife does not want her family to know of my past issues. I was a highly functioning alcoholic from the beginning of our marriage until I stopped last year. Her father doesn't know why I was denied, but knows it must be something major for me to get denied at 37 with perfect blood pressure and no disease or medical history... Not sure how to handle that either.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The best bet is to pay for detox in cash, to never use your insurance for addiction treatment of any kind, because it is not "free money," and to stay out of the social service system entirely if you can.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankfully I have another 10 years or so on my Term Life, I got it before I went for mandated treatment... so it is on my record now. TU is right.... It is an issue... HIPPA won't protect you if you sign the waiver.

However...

I have heard about a company that will insure RECOVERED (5 plus years) people... not sure which one tho....
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Thankfully I have another 10 years or so on my Term Life, I got it before I went for mandated treatment...
Yeah, I have 15 left on mine, then can renew.. 100k isn't a lot especially today.. But better than nothing I guess..

Funny I was insured no problems in the worst of my alcoholism.. Because I kept it to myself...

But in no way do I discourage people from getting help regardless.. Because I would be dead if I hadn't. My wife would rather have me alive then collect on a policy.. (don't laugh, lol)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea... I just made sure I didn't take any pills for about 5 days before and took it easy the night before, the blood test and exam... I ride a lot of bike which keeps my waistline, BP and pulse low so I got a great rate, LOL...

And yes... Don't let this stop anyone from getting treatment. Alive and uninsured is better than dead and a check in your widow's hand... well, at least from my perspective, LOLOLOL
Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I encourage people to quit getting drunk and high for good, and to disclose their past to the fewest amount of people necessary.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I am seeing a therapist and using my health ins. Never had medical treatment for it...does that count against me? I went to therapy for depression- don't know how it is "coded" from his side though
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aeo, tell your therapist not to put anything down as "addiction treatment" or "alcoholism treatment" if possible. Many therapists have clients that work for the NSA or other sensitive jobs, for example, and will accommodate this type of request.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Now that the cat's out of the bag so to speak, can you speak to your agent and see when they could do another policy for you ?

My only experience is with nicotine, I didn't smoke, but I chewed tobacco. At the time of getting my first policy it cost me. When I got a better policy after my son was born I had been nicotine free for over a year and got a lower rate.

I don't have anything regarding alcohol on my medical record, to my knowledge anyway.

Best of luck with this, but more importantly best of luck in staying off the booze.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I learned this one the hard way... I was going to a therapist mainly for depression, and mentioned that I had picked up my 90 day chip. The insurance co. sent me a letter with detailed information from my therapist's notes... I felt as if I had been mentally raped. They immediately dropped me.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gone In

When I went in for treatment, I refused to sign the release allowing them to release any information to other doctors. They pressured me to sign it but I refused. Other physicians in the system can see that I was in mental health services, but they don't know why and have to ask. Luckily I've kept it, explicitly anyway, off my medical record.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Man - I wish I had known this - I think my doc put down alcohol dependence. I'll have to ask him to change that - he had put unspecified liver something. Man - I should have known better!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with insurance, but I definitely agree with what some others have said here - I'd hate things like this to stop people from looking for help.

Being alive and recovered trumps everything else IMO

D
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
High on Life

This is one of the reasons why I wouldn't let my therapist run it through my insurance, but have been screwed since going to detox and rehab, which subsequently had me diagnosed with Polydrug Dependence. I'm young though, so hopefully in 10 yrs it won't be a problem.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The best bet is to pay for detox in cash, to never use your insurance for addiction treatment of any kind, because it is not "free money," and to stay out of the social service system entirely if you can.
I considered doing just what you mentioned (paying in cash) when I was considering going to the doc a few days ago. But I think they're required to keep a record of treatment no matter the method of payment. I interned for a major insurance company in college, and the sheer amount of private information they can easily request to get the nitty gritty on the insureds has really stuck with me through the years.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm going through this right now....I am 28 and have lost my job of six years. The thought of being denied health insurance never even crossed my mind. However NONE of the major companies will take me because it is on my record that I went to rehab back in 09. Apparently that is a "pre-exisiting condition" and will be denied for 5yrs.....I am upset but greatful to be alive. Just sucks that I am being punished for making the best descion of my life.