Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Got denied life insurance at age 37 in perfect health..

Notices

Got denied life insurance at age 37 in perfect health..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
This is something that people in other industrialized countries probably can't relate to, but the USA does not have universal health insurance, and the cost of healthcare here is astronomical. One major mishap without health insurance and you can easily be ruined with crushing debt.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
I considered doing just what you mentioned (paying in cash) when I was considering going to the doc a few days ago. But I think they're required to keep a record of treatment no matter the method of payment.
There are ways around this, but you have to tell the doctor about your concerns ahead of time, before anything is written down. An out-patient alcohol detox script will cost you less than a weekend supply of booze, and a doctor can put it down as "anti anxiety" medication, since alcohol detox is not the primary use for such drugs.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
This is something that people in other industrialized countries probably can't relate to, but the USA does not have universal health insurance, and the cost of healthcare here is astronomical. One major mishap without health insurance and you can easily be ruined with crushing debt.

Here's a story I was just reading on the topic : The anatomy of a ripoff - NY Daily News
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
...being denied health insurance never even crossed my mind... NONE of the major companies will take me because it is on my record that I went to rehab back in 09. Apparently that is a "pre-exisiting condition" and will be denied for 5yrs...
One of the benefits of medicalizing addiction.

Disease = "No stigma."

Yeah, right.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Last year I took out a sizable term-life policy that required a medical history interview. During the interview I was asked whether I drank alcohol. I said 'no'. The next question was whether I ever drank alcohol. I said 'yes'. I can't remember the wording of the third question. But, it was clear the question's intent was to delve into the circumstances surrounding my cessation of drinking. Likely by dumb luck, my response satisfied the interviewer and we moved on. No doubt the truth would have increased my premium at least and disqualified me at worst.

I should mention that my medical history is "clean" insofar as alcohol is concerned. I should also make clear that I am not recommending anyone lie during such a screening. It boils down to a risk assessment. If a person misleads an insurer about alcoholism on the front-end, dies from an alcohol-related illness, and the insurer somehow connects the dots (autopsy report, etc.), the insurer will fight the claim and will likely win.

Also, info from Uncle Sam on pre-existing insurance plans in America...

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) | HealthCare.gov
Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Fortunately, I've read the guidelines used to "trick" people into confessing they are or were alcoholics. They actually have this down to a science, complete with training video tapes, some of which I've watched. I will admit to no absolutely no one to being or having been "an alcoholic," not even my own mother, and anyone who tries to label me as such will be corrected.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great. Now I'm worried. I'm 33 and went into the hospital two years ago after seeking help from my MD about alcohol. He prescribed me Camprol (did nothing) and Naltrexone. I drank the first night on Naltrexone and ended me in the ER. They gave me a 'benzo' drip and I ended up being released after declining official detox. Drank again for two more years, seeked help last month and just celebrated my one-month after 12 years of drinking. I'm done with alcohol.

My MD put me on Librium (through insurance) that did the trick with withdrawal symptoms. I'm also on Antibuse (prescription) and Paxil (again, prescription through insurance).

So my record is out there for everyone to see. I did get a bit of life insurance last year to cover the cost of our home if I were to die. I recall the phone interview...they asked if I had ever sought treatment for alcohol...I said no. Before the "recorded" call ended, they asked me again. I said no.

I was approved and have life insurance. The way I understand it if I died from alcoholism, they wouldn't pay (my assumption). Now I fear being dropped totally, which they would be right to do since I was not honest. I was just scared and confused.

It's clear now that I may have f-d up by being honest with my MD. Whatever, if I'm dropped, at least I know I cleaned my act up and and plan on living a healthy, sober life from here on out. Surely I can get insurance somewhere as long as I'm honest, right?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Fortunately, I've read the guidelines used to "trick" people into confessing they are or were alcoholics. They actually have this down to a science, complete with training video tapes, some of which I've watched. I will admit to no absolutely no one to being or having been "an alcoholic," not even my own mother, and anyone who tries to label me as such will be corrected.
Where can I find these "guidelines?" It's a dark part of my past I quite frankly want erased. I'm a changed man. It's nobody's business but mine as far as I'm concerned despite my medical record being "tainted."
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, the thing is, life insurance companies are businesses. They are in it to make money. Statistically, people who have addictions are more likely to die than people without them. The risk goes down the longer you are abstinent, but once you're "in the system" as having had an addiction, you'll never be able to get life insurance at the lowest preferred rates. You can definitely get insurance, at better rates, as time goes on though.

Case in point, I was denied coverage when it had been under 5 years since I quit. After 10 years I did get some sort of semi-preferred rate, not as good as the best rate, but much lower than standard. I am in excellent health, BTW. Thin, work out, don't smoke.

Different insurance companies have different rating policies, so it's a good idea to keep trying if you get rejected.

Of course the best option is never to use the "A" word in the presence of any clinical person, but many people don't have that option, or they let the cat out of the bag without being aware of this aspect.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I know this industry well, and have asked my doctor to use discreet language when I have mentioned my history to him. As far as I know, he's obliged, but it is not only alcoholism or drug abuse that can get one denied. Any psychological condition can do this, especially where the treatment includes prescriptions of drugs used for psychiatric conditions.

Two additional comments: if you have a policy that is a level term for a number of years, you may want to consider making it permanent. It is more expensive, much more, but there is usually no underwriting involved on converting an existing term policy. Then, make sure you keep it current. The younger you are, the cheaper, so do the math if you think waiting until the term is up would be better; it ain't always so.

Most states have a contestancy period of a year or two. If an insurer issues a policy, and later finds out that you misrepresented or falsified your medical questions, they can either drop you, or, if you die during the incontestancy period, they can deny your beneficiaries the benefit. Most insurers use a centralized reporting bureau for underwriting, called MIB - medical information bureau. Lots of your medical nistory info is reported through it. And, they will request records of your doctors, as well as collect urine and blood.

I couldn't agree more with the tenet that being alive is better than being insured. And, playing games with what info you give your doctor could put you in a bad spot someday if you are not able to provide your history when they need it. It's best to keep the insurance you have, ensure it remains up to date, and buy more after you qualify...usually 5 yrs. This can also apply to other types of policies, such as disability, and/or long-term care insurance, not just life insurance.

Ok...that's enough. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have been to the psych ward over 10 times and probably detox over 20 times. I wonder if I will ever be able to get life insurance. I never even expected to live to see my mid 30's.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anon4recovery View Post
Where can I find these "guidelines?" It's a dark part of my past I quite frankly want erased. I'm a changed man. It's nobody's business but mine as far as I'm concerned despite my medical record being "tainted."
There are a few documents buried in federal government web sites, and there is at least one company that trains social workers and other companies that have to deal with potential "addicts" who would normally not disclose this information. No promises, but I will see if I can track it down again.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Of course the best option is never to use the "A" word in the presence of any clinical person, but many people don't have that option, or they let the cat out of the bag without being aware of this aspect.
The safest bet is to get into the habit of never labeling yourself an addict or an alcoholic. By doing this, there will never be any accidental slips of the tongue. I don't even do it on this web site, since that might lead to just such a slip of the tongue elsewhere. The way I see it, anyone who asks if I'm "an alcoholic," regardless of who they are, is most likely up to no good. Ditto for anyone that actually presses me to "admit" such a thing.