Notices

struggling now

Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling now

I started off so well everyone here was so supportive, now Im struggling. hubby is drunk every night so thats not very helpful and Im starting to crave booze all the time again. We are off for a weekend and trip to the West end this week so it wont be a good time for me. Ive booked some time off work after that and plan to spend it alone as much as I can. My mind and body are tired of living this way. Ive booked a visit to my GP and I know I need to get motivated again.

I have a plan to get fit again, one thing or another has prevented me exercising for many years but hopefully all of that is under control or has healed, the citalopram is helping at last.

I need a massive kick up the bum and a life that dosent just revolve around work and booze
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thinking about consequences helps. Think of the hangover, about how you will feel about having drank again. Think of the headache and the upset stomach, the regret. That's kept me straight for 7 months now.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tiggy

I am on day 8 now and my husband also drinks so I understand. I find it helps if I switch off to his drinking and don't watch him doing it. This works at home but don't know how effective it would be if you were face to face in a pub/restaurant. I know I couldn't go to a pub and not have a drink at this stage yet.

I agree sometimes it means a change of lifestyle esp if the places you go/people you see revolve around alcohol.

Also think remembering a bad hangover, being sick from drink and remembering how well you are doing now will help keep you sober. Good luck
Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my tummy got so bad the GP screened me for coeliac of course Im not. Its just booze. I dont get hangovers as such any more which is scary just feel very tired and sluggish. Not enough to keep me off work, no one there knows I drink. I plan to get this week out of the way and then start again, a bit like naming the day to stop smoking. Folks on here may not agree I know many have some very strong views, based on experiance of course. Any advice is always welcome, your support always helps
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know the feeling, sort of. Both my wife and I were heavy drinkers. She got it under control but I can't seem to. She has been trying to help me, by not putting me in a situation where I would want to drink. I have tried abstaining while out and she is having a drink or two, but just seeing it I would cave in about an hour. I can't give you an answer except to keep reading here and find what might help. I am on day 12 and am using an hour by hour promise to myself: I don't need a drink for the next hour...and then repeating it at the end of each hour. I found that suggestion somewhere here.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good tip TatsX, Im at work most of the day but in the evening hubby puts a drink in my hand as soon as I walk in the door I will have to tell him to stop doing that
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Tiggy, my husband is still an active alcoholic as well, and it does make things harder. When he leaves the room and leaves his bottle of Crown sitting on the table, the temptation to grab it and steal a swig or two is pretty powerful. But remembering my last drunk (Christmas Eve ... ruined the entire holiday) and all of the other horrible things I did/said when drunk (and the hangovers, omg), keeps me from caving in. Like TatsX said, hour by hour. If I can do it for an hour, I can do it for another hour. And so on. Hang in there.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My wife and I worked at the same place. She retired about 2 years before me, we were both heavy drinkers after work. Our whole work place is. Usually at least 3 drinks after a shift just to bring the adrenaline down and be normal, we were in high stress jobs. Best wishes finding something that works for you. I am not a fan of meetings, watched that fail so many times to co-workers. I had lots of friends(drinking friends), the only one I still talk to is one I had that wasn't based on alcohol friendship.