Notices

Liver problems?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver problems?

I am going to be very honest here, as I'm beginning to worry. A visit to the doctor is clearly long overdue, and I intend to get on that soon.

I've been a fairly heavy drinker for about 3 years now, give or take a few months. At first it was just a six pack or so every night, then of course it progressed, and fast. I was at my worst these past couple of months. I am worried that my liver might be giving out, and even that it might be too late to recover. Lately my appetite is completely diminished unless I am at least a little drunk. When sober, I can't stomach food. I've realized recently that I've been essentially starving myself without taking notice (as I don't have the money to stay drunk 24/7), and have begun forcing myself to eat as much as I can (which isn't very much). Today I had some berries, a small bit of soup, a chocolate protein shake, and so far half of a veggie sandwich.

I have been very anemic lately, and again, only feel willing to stay up when I have enough alcohol in my body. My life has basically dwindled into nothing, and I lay down a lot more than I should. I'm almost entirely nocturnal. Eventually the alcohol itself makes it impossible to stay awake anyway, though, and I go back to bed.

There is no jaundice, no abnormal itching, and no severe liver pains. I do, however, have some evidence of ascites. It's been there for a while. It isn't horrible, and there's no swelling elsewhere, but it is noticeable when I look in the mirror.

This may or may not be related, but I've been experiencing numbness and tingling in my fingers and my right leg. It feels like bad circulation, and it goes away. Right now the lower half of my right leg is somewhat numb. I haven't had very much alcohol tonight at all, so I cannot tell if this is just a withdrawal symptom that I haven't drank off, or if it's something quite different that will become even worse if I do drink off my withdrawals. So for the most part, I've refrained, but I've had seizures from this in the past and I'd like to avoid that.

I know what I need to do, and I know that I will eventually die if I don't stop drinking. The numbness really doesn't feel very serious or significant, but it's there and it's unusual. I'd like to avoid visiting the hospital tonight and maybe make an appointment with a doctor soon instead.

Thoughts? I was hoping someone could put my mind at ease. I'm starting to wonder if I'm dying.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that my urine is occasionally very dark lately, with some burning when I go to the bathroom. Other times it's fine. I have a feeling that is because I'm dehydrated, though.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Noro))) - though I was a nurse (before my own addiction ended that career), I can't give you medical advice. I can say this, however...you've had seizures before, you're having symptoms that are not normal.

I can understand you don't want to rush off to the ER tonight, but I really do think you need to see your dr. soon, and I wouldn't recommend quitting the drinking without talking to a dr.

I'm not saying it's serious - yes, the ascites and the numbing extremities are worrisome, but I've seen a lot of people who have problems from drinking and do well when they quit. I've also seen people account every symptom to drinking, and it may be something totally different and maybe easily remedied with proper medical care.

This is your life, and you deserve to live it to the fullest. Please make an appt. to see your dr. soon.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am a retired RN. I cannot give you medical advice per se because of the rules of the site.

However, based on what you have shared, I am seeing some Red Flags and like Amy I will STRONGLY suggest that you get with your DR as soon as you can.

It is there you will either get answers that will 'relieve' your worries, or you will get help to alleviate the symptoms you are experiencing.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't diagnose yourself, let a Doctor do that. And refrain from looking up your symptoms on the Internet! I've convinced myself many times I've had this and that by going on the Internet and it's turned out to be nonsense.

(Example: When I was 20 I read a newspaper article on type two diabetes and I had some of the symptoms. I was convinced for months that I was diabetic and would lose my sight, toes, etc. Of course, I didn't dare go to the Doctors in case it was true. In hindsight this was absolutely ridiculous. I'm very lean and always have been and the chances of someone at my age and weight becoming diabetic were almost impossible. I did eventually tell a Doctor about it and she just laughed at me and told me not to be stupid. Some of us are natural worriers. And drinking is one of the most stressful vocations one can partake in, which makes us worry even more.)

If you do have ascites then you already have end stage liver disease. However, if you're simply going by a distended abdomen there are literally hundreds of conditions that can cause this. Most of the time it's just an irritated bowel and quitting drinking and eating sensibly (avoid refined carbs and dairy) will fix it.

The tingling could be from high blood pressure; alcohol raises blood pressure like nothing else. The good news is it will normalise if you quit and keep off salty foods (I go for no more than an average of 300mg of added sodium per day rather than overly-permissive government recommendations). I knew a guy who was told he could have a stroke at 40 because his blood pressure was so high from alcohol. He quit drinking and was back to the normal range in three months. He still sober and still has normal blood pressure.

It is also common to be malnourished and lose your appetite when you are drinking heavily. Once you drink in lieu of eating your body simply does not have what it needs to function properly, which would explain your anaemia.

I'm not trying to diagnose you or give medical advice. I'm simply saying don't assume you have a particular condition. Get it checked out and then you'll know for sure. Like laurie6781 said, this is a win-win situation. Either there's nothing major wrong with you or there is and you have found out about it sooner rather than later. And in both cases the best prognosis comes from quitting altogether.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of my favorite books of all time is Jerome K. Jerome's Three men in a Boat.

In it, as the narrator is planning a boating trip, he visits the library and consults a health encyclopedia. Within an hour of perusing it, he is convinced he has every disease described with the possible exception of Housemaid's Knee.

Don't be him! Bite the bullet and call your doctor right now.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Noro it looks like you are only 23? A wonderful young man with your life ahead of you if you make the right choices now. Please go to the doctor and be honest. We do recover.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree, seek the help and knowledge of a doctor.

Not giving medical advice, but after a binge, or tear, if you will, when sober/hungover/detoxing, I could not eat anything. Nausea was awful.

See your doctor and make the decision to stop doing this to your body.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all your responses. You've all been helpful. I figure that instead of starting a new thread, I'd post an update on here.

The night that I made the original post in this thread, I didn't drink very much at all. I slowly sipped at drinks, only enough to evade withdrawals. I woke up feeling better than I usually do in the morning. I even managed to avoid the bottle until nightfall. But my cravings kicked in and I felt even more weakened to my cravings after the first couple of drinks, of course. Still drank a little less than usual, though. Today, however, I'm right back where I started. It is starting to seem more and more like I'm a bit past tapering off.

I had a question I wanted to ask everyone. I read the sticky thread on this forum with excerpts from the book "Under the Influence," and it was one of the few times I saw an acknowledgment to an alcoholic actually feeling more diligent and focused when drunk (if I didn't misread, I mean). That is how I feel when drinking. Of course, when I first began drinking, this wasn't the case. But now, when I've been drinking, I read better, I write better, I play guitar better, I interact better, I speak better, etc. Even when the booze has me on the verge of exhaustion, I still now seem to perform better in every way when I have enough alcohol in my system.

My question is, if I sober up, will I be able to retain that focus and ability while sober? Or is it just something alcohol offers me now that I'll no longer have? I hope I've made this clear, because this is one of the many reasons why it's hard for me to give up the drink. To be honest, I think at this point, I seem more drunk when I'm sober, and more sober when I'm drunk. That might sound stupid, and many of you might think that that's just the booze talking (which could be true), but I think it's the truth.

Thanks for listening. I hope you're all doing well.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I add my vote to seeing a Dr if you haven't already

But now, when I've been drinking, I read better, I write better, I play guitar better, I interact better, I speak better, etc. Even when the booze has me on the verge of exhaustion, I still now seem to perform better in every way when I have enough alcohol in my system.

My question is, if I sober up, will I be able to retain that focus and ability while sober?
I must have missed that bit in the book - but if it was ever true for me, it certainly long ceased to be true.

I was a musician so I have concrete proof with recordings and videos that alcohol did not make me more diligent or more focused or enhance my abilities.

I really genuinely thought it did tho at the time - another of alcoholism's lies.

I'm a much better musician - a much better everything - sober, Noro.

It may take a little time for the skills to come back when sober, but they will - the talent is ours, not alcohol's

D
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee74 is right, but the real question is "would you rather play a better guitar or live a better life?"
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your responses. I'm going to quote what I was referring to:

Pg. 25:
"The point at which alcohol's stimulating effects are overshadowed by the sedative and toxic effects varies from drinker to drinker. For some people, one drink is the limit. Others can drink four, five and more drinks and still experience alcohol's stimulating and euphoric effects. Alcoholics develop an increased physical resistance to alcohol's effects (called "tolerance"), and some can drink many times more than nonalcoholics while continuing to behave as if they were on their first few drinks. Thus alcohol remains stimulating and pleasurable for alcoholics even after they have drunk amounts which would cause nonalcoholics acute discomfort."

Pg. 29:
"Alcohol's energy "kick" is therefore its most beneficial and potentially its most deadly characteristic. As normally consumed, alcohol is usually in the body in small amounts and for relatively short periods of time, and its effects are therefore temporary. Furthermore, in small amounts, alcohol's benefits are noticeable and the penalties non-existant; the cells receive a quick jolt of energy, the hearthbeat accelerates, the brain cells speed up their communications, and the drinker feels euphoric and stimulated."

Pg. 58 and onward:
"Alcoholics in the early, adaptive stage of their disease also show improvement of functioning as the blood alcohol level begins to rise. But unlike the nonalcoholic, this improvement continues with additional drinking."

"Even when blood alcohol remains at fairly high levels -- levels which would overwhelm the nonalcoholic, causing him to stumble, stutter, and sway -- the early alcoholic is often able to talk coherently, walk a straight line, or skillfully maneuver a car. Only when the alcoholic stops drinking and his BAL descends, does his performance deteriorate -- and it does so very rapidly."
As I became an alcoholic, and the further I progressed, it became apparent to me that I'm more "capable" (for lack of a better word) when drinking, rather than when I'm sober. When I'm sober, I feel useless. For instance, when I had been drinking earlier, I played a few of the songs I've written, and I played them perfectly. When sober, I'm unable to do that. My mind is too active, I guess, and I'm not able to direct my focus on one single thing.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD, so I guess that might have a lot to do with it. I just don't want to lose that specific benefit if I finally stop drinking for good.

If I seem conflicted, it's only because I am, lol.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember back in my early days, drinking made everything better too, or seemed to - why else would we continue to drink so much, so often?

What I didn't realise at the time was the fact I was functioning better on alcohol that I was when sober was actually a big flashing neon sign that I was developing a very nasty addiction.

the key phrase in the quotes above is 'in the early, adaptive stage of their disease'...

don't count on that 'increased functioning' to continue noro, because it won't...

D
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

(((Noro))) Here's an analogy for you about the "taking on anything" idea ... long story short, my husband (still an active alcoholic while I'm sober) and I used to hang out at a certain bar here in town. The owner is an ***hole and he's the kind of person who likes to say stuff just to get people riled up. I'm Italian and don't take kindly to that kind of thing, even when I'm sober. The thing is .... he's about 6'3" and 280 pounds. I'm 5'2", and about 120 pounds. Anyway, he said something one night to intentionally tick me off and I went at him. I fully intended to take him out. Of course, I was also fully loaded, so "liquid courage" spurred me on. He's an idiot but at least he was not enough of an idiot to take on a skinny, drunk, p*ssed off woman so he just kind of shoved me into a chair and told my husband to "take care of" me. Stupid. Point is, when I was drunk I thought I was invincible. Thought I was more "creative" (I'm also a lifelong musician as well as a writer). I also have musician friends who think they are more "creative" when they are smoking weed. My feeling now is ... if you need "something" to make you more creative, more invincible, more capable ... you have a problem. Creativity comes from the heart ... from the soul ... not from a mind-altering substance. Not judging you at all - been where you are - but interestingly, I find I am much more creative and capable with a clear head that is not clouded by alcohol or drugs. Strange, yes?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey there,

the question you should ask yourself is that if someone here or anywhere told you absolutely have cirrhosis and had to stop right now to avoid death would you stop right now and get help? If you keep going then that is certainly your eventual path.

Your symptoms might be very real and you need to see a doctor. They might not be though, they might just be in your head. When I thought I had HIV I felt like I had all of the symptoms, but every HIV test since then has been negative. Your body can have a psychosomatic response to stress and anxiety (i.e. you can make yourself feel like you have real symptoms). The lesson I learned from my experience is to practice safer sex techniques and to be more careful with my body. This should be a wake up call, whether your health is actually in jeopardy or not that you must quit drinking if you are an alcoholic in order to avoid actual and certain death.

Go see your primary care physician and be completely honest with him or her about your drinking and explain your concerns. Its better to stop drinking now, then to wait until you have no choice. After all its hard to drink when we're six feet under!

The caveat to that is that the liver is a very resilient organ and can often rebuild itself... if you stop damaging it. You still have the chance to live a healthy and productive life, so get to the doctor and take the first step.

JP
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Noro - I completely understand what you are taking about.

You are saying "I legitimately perform better when drinking. It's not a perception. it's real."

I understand, because I was there.

For me it's golf, not music. When drinking I could shoot under par, but sober could barely break 80. The numbers didn't lie.

Why? because booze turned off my consciousness and allowed things to flow without my brain getting in the way.

But I decided that I didn't want to live my life that way. My friends didn't need to drink to perform. They didn't need a golf liquid-vitamin, so why should I? Plus, it was incredibly inconvenient, embarassing, and complicated to have to keep drinking before/during golf and handle the rest the my day.

The good news is that you can break that cycle. I've been sober for 5 months, and my sober performance is getting closer to my drunk performance. Is it as good yet? No. Month #1 was a real struggle because my performance was very poor, but I gutted through it. Months 2-5 have been steps forward and I'm 80% there. I expect to be 100% after a year.

It can be done.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The whites of my eyes are now yellow. I am going to quit drinking now, and then I'm going to see a doctor. I think it might be too late.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noro View Post
The whites of my eyes are now yellow. I am going to quit drinking now, and then I'm going to see a doctor. I think it might be too late.
Yes, you absolutely should. Yellow eyes are a clear indication something is wrong.

Before you sign your own death certificate though, read this post from a SR member. He had yellow eyes but it was from fatty liver (totally reversible if you quit): http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...llow-eyes.html

Things are rarely as bad as you think they are—and good for you for seeing a Doctor.

And, by the way, see a Doctor now regardless of whether or not you quit drinking. You're worth more than that risk.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The whites of my eyes are now yellow.
Go to the ER NOW!!!!!!

It is very important that you get seen my medical staff IMMEDIATELY. They will help you to quit drinking.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope your going to be alright Noro. Please let us know how it goes. I'm really pulling for you!
Scott
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have not been to a doctor or a hospital yet. I am working on a taper, and it's going well, I think. Up until now, I'd been chugging vodka all waking hours, until passing out, then I'd wake up and do it again. I wasn't eating at all and I was tired all the time.

I'm completely off vodka now. I have some next to me and I can't even look at it without becoming sick. I'm working up the courage to dump it out. Right now I'm down to about five beers a day. And I mean, five beers spaced out. No major withdrawals yet. Just arising thoughts that I used to drink away. I'm eating a lot more now, keeping myself hydrated, not passing out in the middle of the afternoon, etc.

The yellow shade in my eyes is still there, but the other worrying symptoms seem to be fading. I still need to see a doctor, but nonetheless, I'm feeling better. I want to sober up completely before I go to a doctor. I really think I can do this. I feel better than I have in a while.