Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

First AA meeting in over a year...and it was AWESOME

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hey everybody! I'm not around here near as much as I used to be. I need to fix that.

I also hadn't been in the meeting rooms in far too long. For the first 6 months of my recovery I was at the AA house almost every day. I needed to be there, to be around my fellow alcoholics and to listen and share and work on myself. But when I lost my license, it was very inconvenient for me to travel to the meeting place that I like. (A 20-minute drive became nearly 2 hours on public transport.) And with so much going on in my life I just didn't put forth the extra effort to make it happen.

I got my license back 2 weeks ago (restricted, with an interlock device in my car) so I decided it was time to head back to a meeting. When I walked in, I immediately felt at peace. My bad day got a lot better just by being in the room. And I can't wait to go back tomorrow.

I didn't drink in the time that I was out of the AA rooms. In fact, my life has gotten immeasurably better. Since I stopped drinking, I now have my first salaried job, my forever-on-hold wedding is now taking place in less than 3 months (in the Dominican Republic!), and I recently found out that I am going to be a father. So now my fiancee and I are also looking for a house to buy, so we can move out of our apartment and start our family life in our own home. Life is just plain awesome.

Anyway, it doesn't matter how long you've been out of the rooms; AA will always be there when you're ready to return. And I'm sure glad that I did just that today. Hope everyone has an awesome week!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Snarf))) - so glad to hear from you and glad that things are going well for you!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you. AA worked for me too.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by 06yz125 View Post
I'm happy for you. AA worked for me too.
I've yet to come across the person that it can't work for. That's my opinion, of course, so apologies and please don't flame me if it's not your particular cup of tea!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's my cup of tea...Congrats on a new life..
Old 01-10-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to hear about the positive changes, keep it up.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

You watch.......as good as things are now.....as you re-engage in that AA spiritual path you'll pick up more tools - making your life even better and your sobriety even more protected.

And let's be honest, just because we get sober doesn't mean everything's going to be wonderful all the time. The work I've done on the steps, in helping others, etc during the good times has been important because I needed that growth and experience when an inevitable "bad time" hits.

You're absolutely right.....anytime anyone is ready to come back, AA will be there with arms open.

Now that you have your license back you'll be able to check out some other meetings too. If your local "AA club" is anything like mine (ie - not so great), that'll be a nice experience.

--and I'm not knocking Alano clubs or AA clubs......it's just my experience in Michigan that most of them are tough places to learn the program and see it being put into action by the people in the group.