Notices

Who Really Cares If We're Sober???

Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by TheJungianThing View Post
I wonder what the market would be for bumper stickers.

"Proud [Parent/Wife/Brother/Sister/Son/Daughter] of a Recovered Alcoholic"
Haha, it's funny I sometimes feel like bragging that I've stopped drinking. The non-alcoholics wouldn't get it of course, but to finally kick the monkey off your back after years of fighting... I am proud of that.1

I used to always refer to myself as quitting, as in: in the process. Now, even though it's early days, I know I'm not quitting, I've quit.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Right now my probation officer does.
LOL I was at the point where I couldn't even pass my drug tests with my probation officer. I didn't care anymore. I had to go back to court twice for violating the probation but, gratefully, did not go to jail.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
LOL I was at the point where I couldn't even pass my drug tests with my probation officer. I didn't care anymore. I had to go back to court twice for violating the probation but, gratefully, did not go to jail.

I violated probation twice also and did not go to jail. Both times for failing those etg alcohol tests.

At this point, I want to be sober for ME. I recognize that I am either going to a) be in jail, b) hospital or c) dead.

Drinking is not an option for me anymore. And I am strangely glad I had the intervention of the state of GA to help me along in that direction.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
And I am strangely glad I had the intervention of the state of GA to help me along in that direction.
Isn't that cool? (the state of Michigan got my butt). Amazing how what was "the worst" experience in our past can become vitally important to our future, thus making it a "good thing."

If it wasn't for those nosy cops, the one judge who put me on house arrest with a breathalyzer in my house and video camera to prove it was me blowing, that second judge who strapped an alcohol tether on my leg for 9 months / forced me to go to AA / and told me to my face...in court...from the bench "you're an alcoholic and you better do something about it" (man alive, that really pissed me off), and that probation officer I couldn't stand who told me my "not drinking" was nowhere close to what "recovery" is all about....... wow, I just can't imagine I'd be sober today - some 4+ years later.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I think society as a whole is benefiting from my being clean and sober. I am able to do daycare in my home and make a difference in little peoples lives. I am able to raise my boys in a responsible way and they in turn are touching other peoples lives.

Kind of reminds me of the movie "It's a wonderful life." we do make a difference in our society when making good choices....a domino effect indeed.

Lily
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Who really cares if we're sober?

In the whole scheme of things we're all just grains of sand in a massive desert. Outside of those we directly affect the answer would be nobody. Click on the world clock : Poodwaddle 2011 World Clock Then click on the now tab and consider that all of those things are happening as you sit there, do you care?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When we were drinking did we care about society? Probably not. The first time I got sober my family, friends and girlfriend were happy and proud. After relapsing they were disappointed but still believed in me. As for society I don't think they would care, didn't we try our hardest for them to not find out, isn't it expected of us to be functioning beings.

When we were drinking we expected trust, forgiveness and charity, some of us lived off pity. Now that we are independent no one is going to throw a party but feel we can stand alone. People only scrape **** off the floor...they let a flower grow on its own.