Notices

I now wake up Thank God I am not drinking

Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I now wake up Thank God I am not drinking

There was a reason I was admitted into a psych ward. I had to get away from the alcohol. I have self medicated with alcohol for months and came to the realization it is no longer working. I thank God I was not physically addicted to it and was able to get away from it while I still have the chance.

Its been over two weeks since I have touched alcohol. I am on an anti depressant to manage my depression instead of self medicating with alcohol. Its great waking up early again without feeling hungover and nauseous. I feel more motivated to do things instead of spending the day in bed beating myself up for feeling like crap or wondering who I texted or what I said to people while under the influence.

Each day I tell myself "Today, I cannot drink" and I even though I do not have the desire to drink atm I am sure the urge will come up again but I have to use strength and self control to stay away from it.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 weeks sober. I am on day 7 and agree it is wonderful to wake up and not feel nauseous and hungover. Although I have felt hungover a couple of times without alcohol but realize that's just my body getting used to not drinking.

I have also not had much of an urge to drink after day 2 but, like you, expect the urge anytime. I will just think of other things to do when that happens

Good luck and this site is brilliant with lots of support and motivation
Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done, innerchild. That is brilliant.

What is working for me is looking at the life I had while drinking. I didn't like it. That is keeping me away from alcohol. My life will go back to what it was if I drink and I don't ever want that again.

Stay strong and enjoy your sober days. I am day 9 and it just keeps getting better

justhadenough - hiya hon I too felt like I was drunk the first two days. I agree my body was adjusting Hope you are doing well xx
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi Sunny, I'm ok thanks, how are you doing? Congrats on getting to day 9

Can't believe it's been a week! i weighed myself today and have lost 3 pounds so that's another incentive! Just hoping I will sleep soon but at least not hungover too!!xx
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks guys. I am sleeping so much better now too. I was prescribed non addictive meds to help but staying off the alcohol sure does help.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep on going, guys.

I am fine. Day 10 nearly upon me and I feel really positive. I can barely believe I am doing this, but I know it has been coming a long time.

I have been reading the stories of people that relapse and the guilt they feel and in a way it is keeping me focussed. I don't want to hate myself anymore.

I still freak out a bit when I call myself an alcoholic, but I know I am. I suppose I was never as bad as some, but I was bad enough for me and that is all that matters.

I am having a dinner party at mine on Wednesday and have got myself a bottle of non-alco wine. Before I'd be getting loads of drink in to keep everyone happy and the party going.

This time is different. I want a new and better life and the only way I can get that is to abstain.

My RR book should arrive this week and I can't wait to get stuck into it.

Here's to another day sober... and don't it feel good
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best of luck to all !!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Keep it up, guys! I manage a restaurant and my employees often come in feeling "sick" from the night before. Hung over, restless, tired...but I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Ready to go when the alarm goes off. I mean, I have to clear the cobwebs outta my head for a second, but then I hit the shower and my day is under way. No longer do I lay in bed feeling like crap, or being angry at myself for whatever I did the night before, or trying to get my shift picked up because I'm just being overall lazy and worthless. Waking up with a clear head and ready to attack the day is one of the best parts of my recovery. Stick with it!