Notices

Confused, don't know what to do or how to stop.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FLA

Confused, don't know what to do or how to stop.

Well I'm new here and don't really know why I came here maybe I need help? Maybe I am confused? I don't know. I'm 20 years old and started drinking when I was around fifteen, I haven't stopped since I had my first experience with alcohol. It started out with me drinking once a few months then once a month then every weekend and I watched my habit grow untill I was drinking every day or every other day depending on how hungover I am. I never drink alone so when I do drink I'm either throwing a party or at a party. Recently while on a binge I tried a bump of cocaine ( a clump of coke on a key) and liked it, I promised myself I would never try cocaine but being drunk and easily influenced I broke that promise, since then I have tried it again. I see my self digging my life into a hole I cannot get out. I think I drink out of boredom? Or maybe I have some suppresed emotion issues that I do not want to deal with? I grew up in a nice house with a nice family who provided me with all I could ask for so I really have no need to "rebell" against anything. Today is the first day I've been sober in 2 months, the holidays didn't help my alcohol habit any haha. I'm trying to keep my drinking for the weekends only again but I've realized that being sober I'm dull and boring so it seems, I feel irritable and emotionless almost depressed. I don know if it's because I'm having mild alcohol withdrawals or what. But I don't like the feeling. I also don't know if I'm ready to be completely sober thinking about that scares me. Anyways if anyone out there has a similar story or knows how to help me please respond. Thank you for reading and please excuse my bad grammar (typing on a phone).
Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi.

If you're digging a hole and you can't get out, you know some of what you gotta do already, right?

As for being boring and whatever, all that can be really changed and changed without using booze and cocaine. Lots of us felt useless without drinking and drugging, and so nothing new there for you. I quit when I was 24 but I already tried to quit when I was 18... so what a waste of time trying instead of doing, you know? I started when I was 12 and really got into it at 15.

You're asking great questions and you'll get lots of good responses here at SR. Feeling rotten and down while stopping is not unusual, and it can pass as you keep off the booze and drugs. There is plenty of different ways you can progress and you'll learn all about them as you keep posting and reading.

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Date: 01-01-2012

@FLA

My past experience with alcohol nearly mirrors yours in every aspect, with the exception of drinking alone. I had my first sip of alcohol at 12 and started drinking on a regular basis when I was 15. By the time I was 17, I was drinking 8-10 high-ABV beers every day or every-other-day. Although I started drinking to "party" with friends, it quickly escalated into drinking alone.

As for your boredom and depression, it goes with the territory of quitting a mind-altering substance. Before you started drinking, you likely found other ways to occupy your time. Eventually, the party scene probably started to overtake your hobbies and ambitions. For me, I quit exercising, reading, and writing to solely focus on drinking booze. It was a pity, as my whole day revolved around the anticipation of or the consumption of alcohol.

Physical withdrawal symptoms usually subside after 72 hours, but the cravings can persist for quite some time. Like other members have suggested to me, starting an exercise regimen or revisiting your old hobbies are good ways to take your mind off the desire for alcohol.

Best of luck,

surething
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everytime I have stop drinking and headed to sobriety, I found myself feeling the same way you do. I feel like i'm boring and feel that I am for from an interesting person, and even farther from being social.

When drinking/drunk, I can carry on a conversation/socialize with ease (even while looking someone in the eye), I can cook up a meal that will take any resturant on a run for its money. I can do just about anything while drinking/drunk.

What I have found since this last stint of going sober is, all these feelings that I have are MY feelings and the way I preceive myself. Its not the way others perceived me.

Many people have told me they would rather me not drink and not come up with ideas (that really are not so great), Cook a meal that will be just as good as if I was not drinking, and socialize a bit less (so others can get a work in edgwise!).

It's all preceiption.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FLA

Well I chilled with my friends all day and towards the end when the football game came on they started drinking I didn't drink any and did not have much of a urge to drink. I started getting a headache around 4 but that could have been from skating all day and being sweaty and dehydrated? My skin near my liver is itchy from time to time idk if thats withdrawal symptoms or not? Maybe I'm not a alcoholic since I didn't crave it while I was around it?