Notices

Sneaking drinks and caught

Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sneaking drinks and caught

My main story is in the newcomers section. I haven't scanned over this section much, but figure I should fit in.

8 days w/o a drink, the longest time in 15 years. I found myself over the last 10 months or so swigging out of a bottle behind my wife's back and watering it down a bit so it didn't look like it to her. Finally got caught around Christmas. It was a wake up call and started searching for help. So far this site has helped quite a bit. I have not been comfortable around groups of people in about 15 months, so meetings seem to be out. I seem to be getting lots of encouraging help here and I appreciate it. Thank you all.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to have you here3 TatsX, all of the best in your recovery
Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this site as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Tatsx! I was also sneaking drnks before I quit 19 days ago, more towards the end, rearranging things in the refridgerator to make it look like nothing was missing, buying alcohol to replace alcohol, and drinking quickly before my boyfriend came home so he would have no idea how much I had drank....how sad.

I felt shameful for myself alone so I can only imagine how you felt when you got caught.
You have come to a great place. There are lots of great people here with knowledge and encouragement to spare. Welcome to SR!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 8 days!

I was pretty good at sneaking drinks too...watering down bottles

I have found SR invaluable.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanky you all for the support, I was hoping someone else understood.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by TatsX View Post
I was hoping someone else understood.
Oh yes. I was the queen of sneaking drinks. I got caught too. This felt really awful at the time. I was very ashamed. Also desperate, since I had been doing it for a long time. Heck, when I was 13 years old I was sneaking liquor out of my parent's cabinet and watering the bottles, and from there it only got worse. So I really didn't know a different way of living when I finally got caught at the age of 38.

Turns out it was the best thing that ever happened to me, though, because it was what I needed to commit myself to quit. For me it was like this: I decided that even if I died in the process, I was going to quit. Perhaps this sounds dramatic but I am not embellishing anything. That was how it was for me.

I did not die of course, and it's 13 years later, and I've quit drinking, no relapses.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

onlythetruth, thank you. I am a bit older than you and being caught did give me a slap in the face. I hope if I keep reading and posting, I will have the support I need.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

TatsX - By the time I got caught I had four private stashes around the house, routinely drank a six-pack during my 20 minute commute home from work, and would literally run to the garage and pound a 24 oz beer when my wife went to go "Number 2".

So yeah, you're not alone, Friend.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I hid beers from my self so I'd have some the next day!

laugh! It will get better!

Welcome!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hid wine bottles in my room so my flatmate didn't know I was drinking as much as I did. Glad to remember these things. Makes me realise I HAD a problem.

Stay strong
Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all...Ranger I did basically the same thing, even would quickly down a bottle of wine when wife was in the shower before going out to dinner. SR seems to be helping me understand and am glad to find so many stories similar to my own.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

There is comfort in knowing you didn't write the script, especially when there are those who share your story and have avoided the kind of ending that so often befalls alcoholics.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's what is helping me Ranger, knowing I am not the first or only with my story. Thank you