Notices

help.... paxil and alcohol

Old 12-12-2003, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help.... paxil and alcohol

I am in need of some information, a very good friend of mine who is an alcoholic [there own admission] is drinking daily, anywere from 15 to 30 ounces of vodka daily, if not more, the Doctor prescribed Paxil 16 days ago for depression, before this person started Paxil you could not tell they were drinking, has been daily drinking for many years [ works in a bar ] the last three days after about 3 drinks this person is a mess, stumbling around very slured speach and says they can not focus there eyes, and there whole body really hurts, refuses detox or hospital. But I am ready to make the decison for them, has anybody had this happen to them .. Saucy
Old 12-12-2003, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Saucy,

It is normal for Paxil to increase the effects of alcohol. That's why the warning label says to not mix with alcohol in the first place. However, alcoholics don't care about that kind of stuff, and I can also attest to drinking and taking Paxil at the same time before I got sober. It did increase the effects of alcohol at first, but I eventually built up a tolerance to it, just like I had with alcohol.

Sounds like your friend does need help. And a doctor would be the best one to consult with. You can try talking to your friend and letting them know how you feel about them. Sadly though, it's hard to get a person into treatment, unless they themselves first commit to it, and make the decision to get help.

Hope things get better...

Pianogirl
Old 12-14-2003, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do not add alcohol

I had the same situation with Prozac.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanx

Pianogirl and Woodtick: thankyou for the replys. the friend is my daughter and this is her second day off the vodka, she is going to stay off the paxil, she is having a very rough time at present with the alcohol withdrawl,its her second day, she knows and admits she is an aldcoholic, hopefully when she comes around she will get involved in these boards, maybe you guys can throw in a prayer or two for her, shes a mess thanks again. Saucy
Old 12-15-2003, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Saucy, I can tell you first hand about Paxil and alcohol. I was on paxil the last time I went out drinking. I was trying to control my drinking with it. This sounds crazy but, alcohol makes you do crazy things. I thought that it would keep me from getting depresed, which would get me to drink less. Well, after just a few drinks I would act and sound drunk.
Not only that but, I would go into deep black outs. This combination also hurt my mobility. I was falling down steps,
falling off curbs etc. I had a number
of wounds from this. I could tell my drunks by the different stages of the healing of wounds. I ended up getting hit by a car. I decided combining these 2 were wrong. So, I gave up the Paxil.
The combination of Paxil and alcohol withdrawl was terrible. I thought of suicide many times but, Ihad done that before and the thought of having myself filled with charcoal again prevented that. I would suggest you get her to a treatment center. I am on Paxil now, and a few months ago I ran out for a few days. The nightmares are so life like
your daughter may be having these.
Morning Glory on the PTSD boards has some good postings on Paxil withdrawl.
It, helps alot when taken properly but,
with alcohol and unsupervised withdrawl could be bad. MG can tell you
more. My prayers a with you both but,
medical help should be sought. Don W