Notices

Day 15

Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15

Today is my 15th sober day! I'm so glad that the holiday season has passed along with the alcohol commercials, one right after the other it seemed. I haven't gone out of my way to have people over to my house to "hang out" since I decided to quit the bottle. "Hanging out" always meant getting smashed and I'm just not ready for an event like that. It would be completely overstimulating.

My boyfriend and I have friends that drink, although I'm not really sure how much because I've never actually paid attention, mostly due to the fact that I was always sauced when anyone came over.

I plan on riding out the winter while staying at home and getting more comfortable with the new sober me, learning how to enjoy things again without a buzz, and actually getting to know myself again.

My mind is mostly clear now. The haze finally went away completely. I still have a few moments where an extreme low hits me like a mack truck out of nowhere. It lasts for about 10-15 minutes and then subsides. I like to think of it as my brain powering down and then rebooting itself for a new program.

Right now I wouldn't give up this clear headed and collected feeling for anything. I fought the notion of being sober for many years. Didn't want any part of it. I thought that drinking was calming my thoughts but really it was just making a mess out of an already cluttered situation.

I'm lucky that I've managed to have a few meaningful accomplishments throughout this drunken decade of my life at all. Makes me think, "What in the heck could I have done if I was sober?" Can't look back too much, though.

All I need now is some warmth and sunshine!! It's like 23 degrees here...burrrrr!!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm new here and don't really know how things work around here but congratulations, and glad to hear that you are staying sober. Being completely sober for a period of time is a great feeling.

Hopefully I can experience that feeling again and stop getting blackout drunk every weekend.

Take care and keep up the good work!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go blackoutgirl

D
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks TJ! I'm also a blackout drunk, but you can probably put two and two together from my name, Blackoutgirl. I'm 32 and have just figured out that it's time to sober. You can do this and you will find lots of support here. My friends and boyfriend found me to be obnoxious when I was drunk also. I was risking not having anyone in my life at all. I HAD to make a drastic change before I lost everyone. No one wants to be the person that isn't invited to anything in fear that they will get out of hand. I was definitely headed down that road.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Awesome stuff, BG Great to see you taking this bull by the horns. Never stop feeling proud of yourself for what you're doing.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prayers are with you bog.

The oldtimers told me in '89 "Don't drink and go to meetings, it gets better" ...and it did !!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats blackoutgirl - I am on day 6 and can't wait to be where you are!

Your story is very similar to mine. I look back on 10 years and think what the hell happened there. I just turned 39 and wish I had got to this place a lot sooner, but better late than never.

I have gone to a few pubs, but also, the idea of having friends around is just too much. I was due to host a dinner party (food but usually mostly booze) and passed as that would be too much seeing everyone in my home drinking. It is too soon for that for me.

Keep going. I love reading your positivity and knowing we are both heading down the same (great!) path.

Well done.

Sunny xx