Notices

Slowing Down

Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slowing Down

Last night I watched the sun go down on 2011, literally. This morning I saw the sun rise on 2012. All while looking down from a mountaintop at the large, expansive ocean. All while sober.

I love this peace. Today, I'm not a burned out mom who is always running late with no gas in the van. I'm finally feeling relaxed and content after weeks of push, push, push. I can read and reflect on people's posts here on SR instead of whipping through them and clicking "Thanks" between interruptions. My life makes me crazy, but not want to drink, thankfully. It makes me want to slow down. I mean really slow down, not just zone out in front of my laptop when my senses are completely saturated. But I'm afraid because I know it will change my life. I will have to let go.

How did you slow down in your first year of sobriety(or later)? In what way did it help you and others in your life?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Raindancer! I totally know how it feels to be the burnt out mom juggling life job kids and a drinking career!! The way I slowed down was just surrendering everything and I mean everything over to my higher power. I ended up getting fired from my job and I am a single mom...this sounds rediculous right? That I feel greatful for this? But because I was so tired of living in fear, I went with it praying,doing the next right thing and working my program. I have had so many blessings in these past two years Im amazed.Things just work out...yes Im on unemployment but Im rested and with a slower paced life for me comes pure joy!!! I cant stress my future cause I can get really scared but I can live today sober and just surrender its so easy its commical!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Excellent thread raindancer

I was able to picture your in my mind, wonderful. I had a great day myself. I chair a meeting on Sunday mornings and everybody participated, were positive and upbeat. They owner of the building showed up, fried a turkey, somebody else brought jambalaya. Then I got to kick back and watch the Saints stomp carolina. Excellent day. Happ NY raindancer.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't say my life has slowed down in the past 60 days but I do find that more patience with my 4 kids and much better sleep has made my life feel more manageable (lol most of the time).
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I guess, unconsciously, resentment has been simmering through the holiday time, maybe because it's still a little hard to be around all the drinking. I feel relaxed and relieved that it's over and wish to hold on to this feeling but I have to let it go.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Hi raindancer! Hope you are doing good! You are in my thoughts.
I haven't reached the slowing down part yet (since it is only day 2)...well maybe I have... done a lot more relaxing than I did when I was drunk!
I really appreciated your post, it helped me!