Notices

Happy New Year, resolve for continued progress

Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, resolve for continued progress

I recently passed two years since I began attempting sobriety and while there have been some slips it has been mostly spent sober.

As the New Year approaches I have a continued resolve to abstain from Alcohol, not dwell on the negatives but look toward the positive results I have had.

Long gone are the hazy days of daily drinking, the brain fog and constant cravings. The mesmerizing stare I always got when I was ready for a beer, the security blanket 30 pack hiding in the closet.

Sure, there have a been a few relapses but if I keep them in context with the entire two year span I have done pretty good.

Another sober holiday planned and another year to build on.

Progress not perfection but with a continued goal. A resolve and commitment to sobriety.

Happy New Year to you all and may you all find or continue the happy sober lives you are looking for this year.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy new year to you too Sudz - I hope 2012 can be a wonderful and totally sober year for you

D
Old 12-31-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy new year. I have a silly question for you. I have been sober for 20 days and this is the first time in 20 years of drinking. I don't want to dwell on numbers, but so many people use number Of days/ years/months etc to mark their achievement. What do people do that relapse? Start over at day one if they relapse.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most people here are strict about it. If you have even a drop you are back to day one, eat food with it, back to day one. For me I follow the general rule of how many days without any but only loosely. I don't pay much attention to the actual amount of days I go in a row but I usually mark the calendar and look back occasionally and then count. What is more important to me though is the big picture. How have I done as a whole from the very first day I began trying to not drink. Therefore, I have always placed more emphasis on December 2009 as my official quit date.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am with you. Although I am now over 10 onthe, the day I saw that I needed to stop drining and I awaoke was 1.5 years ago and I will never forget this day.it is my original date where for whatever reason I saw clear and decided to stop. It was a day I will never forget!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want to dwell on numbers, but so many people use number Of days/ years/months etc to mark their achievement. What do people do that relapse? Start over at day one if they relapse.
at the risk of releasing a can of worms...lol...

I don't count anymore, but if I drank or drugged, yeah - I'd start over.

The 6th of April 2007 is a very special day to me.

It's the day I started recovery.

In my opinion? if I drink/drug again, I'll have returned to addiction and I'd need to reset my recovery clock.

I understand why some may find that rigid, but I just call it honest

D