Notices

New to forum. FREAKING OUT---BEDWETTING?!?!?!?!?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with what everyone is saying. Please call your doctor. I have been an alcoholic for almost 12 years now and have not wet the bed once. As someone else mentioned, be honest with your doctor or you will spend lots of time and money for nothing.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not something I'm proud of but passing out and wetting yourself was routine for me, and is 'normal' for a lot of us. It happens when you drink all day.

I agree it's always good to get it checked out by a Dr. tho - there could be any number of reasons for it, and it's best to put your mind at ease kendramae

here's some links where you can look for low cost medical help in your area
http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf
http://www.211.org/

welcome to SR

Last edited by Dee74; 12-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by kendramae89 View Post
What has got me to the point of coming to these boards is, the past 3 weeks I have been having episodes of bedwetting. The past week it has happeed twice. One week it was like 5 times. It isn't just a little either, it's like a whole bladder. This is SO embarrassing because this guy that I really liked, I slept in his bed with him, wet the bed and ever since he hasn't talked to me. I was so embarrassed I left without saying bye.

Someone please help, I am scared that I am dying of liver damage or liver disease.
Not that it's the be-all and end-all when it comes to proclaiming whether one's alcoholic or not (I was able to lie to myself sufficiently, with a healthy dose of delusion and denial, that I was nowhere ON the chart when I was actually way at the bottom of the chart myself), but loss of bodily function is rather late-stage alcoholism stuff according to the Jellinek Chart ( http://www.addictionz.com/images/alcoholism-chart.gif ).

Whether there's also liver damage/disease is a separate issue and is entirely dependent upon one's specific physical condition. I've known drinkers who suffered bad physical trauma as the result of what I'd consider moderate drinking whereas there are others who had very few physical side effects even after consuming considerably larger amounts (a liter or more per day of vodka, for example) for many many years. -- a qualified medical doctor is really best bet here........don't just close your eyes and hope, get it checked out.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i agree with everyones advice here, go see a doctor about it, but in the mean time, so you dont work yourself up too much into a panic episode (i have anxiety and panic problems too, along with hypocodria) I will just tell you about me lol

Near the end of my drinking, I started wetting the bed....or couch, too. it only happend a couple times, but was pretty embarrasing.

but on the flip side, it happend once when i WASNT drinking, or detoxing lol In my dream i was going the bathroom...which turned into me waking up mid stream peeing the bed LOL

As youve read from the posts here, most of us have done it too, but its always best to get checked out just incase.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

I'm kinda surprised this topic doesn't come up more often because I used to pee the bed all the time when I was drinking. Last year I spent a lot of nights over at my boyfriend's place and it became such a common occurrence that we'd be surprised and happy on the few nights we didn't wake up wet...I put that poor guy through so much crap.
Sometimes it would happen twice in 1 day. I never thought it was a big deal because pee is sterile. Yeah, eww.
For me, it happened because I would get extremely drunk. I didn't think that was serious at the time but then I realized I may have been close to death. If I'm getting so drunk that I can't wake up to pee, how close am I to my brain shutting down completely? If I had had a just a few more drinks on any one of those nights maybe I'd be dead.
I'm also 22 years old and healthy as far as I know. I remember one sober night (day 1) I almost peed in my sleep but woke up and caught myself right as I was about to unload. Other than that, I haven't wet the bed since I've been sober.
It's always a good idea to go to the doc, though.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

My ex girlfriend was a bartender, she would drink till she passed out and wet the bed more than once.

This girl once got pulled over with a .33 bac.

When we got to the judge he asked if it was a misprint.

Also see a doc.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree

My ABF wet the bed as well when he was drunk, passed out. He too tried to blame it on a medical condition. Funny thing is, it hasn't happened when he stopped drinking.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My friend who lived with me and was an alcoholic wet his bed so much that he burned a hole right through the bed. One afternoon coming back from work he hurriedly told me that he was leaving for detox and not returning. When me and another friend went to clean out his room we found the bed that way. He had a garbage bag over the hole and when we pulled it off we couldn't believe how the hole was all the way through. It answered why he had stuck plastic on the roof over the pool table in the basement. I always wondered why he did that but shrugged it off at the time. It turns out he was peeing so regularly that it was leaking through the floor. I even had the landlord look around to make sure it wasn't the boiler system leaking. How embarrassed my friend must have been.

I am happy to say though that he is fully recovered and living a great life raising his two daughters with his wife who he met at rehab. So, it does go away. Just start making the changes you need to now before it gets worse.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a diuretic and a powerful depressant, and that combination causes some people who pass out drunk to wet themselves. It's never happened to me, fortunately, but it has happened to several friends of mine.

Unless it happens on nights when you're not drunk, I wouldn't think there's any chance that this indicates organ damage. However, if it is still happening on nights when you are not drinking, you should consider consulting a urologist. You should try going a few consecutive days without alcohol to test this out - it would give you information about this problem, and it would be healthy for you too!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It is common for us to come to covered in all types of bodily fluid and vomit. I know a guy who while he didn't wet the bed, he would get up and **** in the clothes hamper. He states that since he's been sober he hasn't had a desire to pee in the clothes hamper, instead he goes to the bathroom like average folks.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am a retired RN. I know the rules of this web site as I have been here a long time now.

What I can tell you are the "Red Flags" of what you have posted.

Yea, Last night I did not drink what-so-ever.
I have been having cramping in my lower stomach and back for a month or longer now but there's No infections..
As stated by another poster, there are many types of infections and some need to be cultured.

I hope you were honest at the ER and got this totally checked out.

Prayers going out for you.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm throwing in with everyone else - see your doctor ASAP!

I have wet myself (and worse) before while being drunk, but never when sober or on a night when not drinking... Don't get too worked up about it, but see your doctor. I know that's easier said than done.

Let us know how you go.

*hugs*
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP44 View Post
It is common for us to come to covered in all types of bodily fluid and vomit. I know a guy who while he didn't wet the bed, he would get up and **** in the clothes hamper. He states that since he's been sober he hasn't had a desire to pee in the clothes hamper, instead he goes to the bathroom like average folks.
ive really only heard of guys doing this lol my brother in law got up one night, opened the bottom drawer of their dresser, and peed all in it. boy was my sister mad!! i was also camping in a rv with them and my bed was beside the bathroom door....he was about to pee on ME until my sister yelled and snapped him out of if! that would have really sucked! lol
Old 12-30-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I wet a friend's couch one evening, was extrememly embarrasing. I remember distinctly having a dream where I was standing in front of a urinal, and I let er' rip. It was the only time I did that... If you go to bed with a stomach/bladder full of liquids, and then pass out, these things happen. In my case, I equated it to my brain tricking me into releiving myself since I was too tanked to be woken up.

Obviously, its odd that it would happen on nights that you weren't passing out from the booze. It could be a symptom of withdrawals during a bad nights rest, but only a doctor can give you advice on those matters. I'd say regardless that there is a 90% chance that its booze related, so don't beat yourself up about it, just consider it another negative effect that your drinking is having on your life. Also consider that alcoholism is a progressive disease, and the longer you wait to get into recovery, the worse these problems will get. Make time for a doctor visit, and best of luck to you
Old 12-30-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Whatever else you do, get rid of the electric blanket.
This made me laugh.

But on topic, I never had a problem with wetting the bed only did once the morning after drinking and it was as someone mentioned, the dream where you are in the bathroom and wake up in the middle peeing yourself. But then about I have the bladder of a camel and can hold it for a while.

INH
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

I had an ex who did that all the time and I was always so angry at him and then he'd get angry at me for being angry at him...evidently I was supposed to feel sorry for him when he peed all over my bed and blankets? I always assumed it was because he was taking some sort of drugs at the same time he was drinking but it does seem to be a common thing for alcohol dependents. Also, when I was in AA this one chick told us her story of how she'd go out and drink and just pee her pants all the time...bars, formal occasions, etc. didn't matter to her either. People are weird. That was one of my reasons out of many for wanting to quit drinking...didn't want to become incontinent. lol
Old 12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

How'd you go Kendra?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Aren't there such things as free clinics is the US? I'm sure you don't have to pay if you can't afford it. It might be a simple thing like a urinary infection, which is treatable with antibiotics. Anyway, don't worry too much - 22 is very young, it's very rare to have something seriously wrong at your age. The most important thing to deal with is the drinking. Best of British luck x
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just wanted to update everyone. I did see an ER. Two doctors told me that it is entirely NOT possible to have liver/kidney/bladder or any other kind of organ trouble at my age. I told them I drink 10-20 drinks a day or more and they still said that I am too young. They were 100% positive it was due to stress and waaayyyyy too much alcohol. (I am 5'2, weigh 100 lbs) AND I drink 10-20 shots or more everyday. (Used to) They told me to stop drinking or cut back to one drink a day.The only thing that makes me wonder is, the doctor only ran ONE test in the ER.(a urine test to check for infection) He also felt around on my abdomen for a minute or two..

The past 5 days I have only had 3 beers. one day it was only one beer, and one day it was two beers. The past 5 days I Have NOT wet the bed!! So therefore I DO think that it has been the alcohol that has been causing this! I hope to keep cutting back. I have only had 3 beers this whole week, when I was drinking every night getting blacked out, passed out drunk. I am withdrawing a little but I have been taking klonopins that my doctor prescribed to me. They help alot.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
~sb

How can those people make a statement like that? Anything is possible. When I searched the bedwetting, I found a list of 13 possible situations. One test couldn't possibly test for all of those conditions.

Did you stop drinking completely?