Notices

I need help

Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry I need help

its hard to ask for help, i thought i could do this all on my own with will. Im a year sober from drinking. But i have smoked pot 3 times the past month. It wouldnt be so bad if i didnt think about it a lot. my cousin mentioned he had pot and i begged and begged him to give me some. I dont think complete sobriety is possible. I cant do this. i dont know what to do. groups cause me really bad anxiety so i cant do groups, so i came here instead. I need advise. i feel like giving up on this sobriety thing
Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
Im a year sober from drinking. But i have smoked pot 3 times the past month... i feel like giving up on this sobriety thing
It may not be ideal, but don't let that turn into an excuse to go back to drinking or using other toxins, either. I'm sure you know where that leads by now. Just re-group, Tigerlover.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey TL

I think the fact you've posted suggests you want to stop.
It's certainly best to stop after a month than it would be after years which is what I did.

I lurched from addiction to addiction for years- I was scared of being straight forever.

This community helped me see it was not only possible but the best way for me to be.
I had to face a lot of demons to get to a place where I was comfortable in being clean/sober, but it's better to do that, knowing you're not alone

Apart from SR, have you thought of non group based options - counselling, SMART online, Rational Recovery, TL?

D
Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I go to AA meetings. AA is full of people who are anxious in groups. We go to save our lives.

We work the steps and learn how to be in a group. Amazing how we get better together.

I was like you, today I know I'm just another human on the planet.

You can stay stopped! One day at a time.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi tigerlover, I hope you don't give up on sobriety! So you smoked a few times, the important thing is you realized it's not good for your recovery. Nobody's perfect, you're on your own journey and who's to say that wasn't your lesson to learn in your first year of not drinking.
I really hope you make the decision to search out a recovery program that suits you well. We all deserve to live a satisfying life we can be proud of. Wishing you the very best
Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I certainly couldn't get sober on my own. I almost died and crawled into AA, full of fear and totally defeated. The fellowship of AA -- other recovering alcoholics -- were enormous support. Whenever I got the idea to do something like smoke grass I talked about it and it passed. Perhaps its time to look at what you're doing and, if it doesn't work, try something else. Sobriety is a life or death proposition (at least for this alcoholic). Also, a local rehab is something you may want to try.

God bless....
Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Watch out for "triggers to pot"

make a relapse prevention plan for POT
Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

- double post
Old 12-26-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
I cant do this. i dont know what to do. groups cause me really bad anxiety so i cant do groups, so i came here instead. I need advise. i feel like giving up on this sobriety thing
Sounds like a great 1st step to me...... I couldn't do it either.... many of us can't...... we just don't have the power to pull it off. .....and that has nothing to do with how much we drank/partied, how much we lost, how bad things got..... it just boils down to your own personal reality -- can you get yourself sober or not.

The first step in AA suggests that, for those ppl who can't pull it off, one finally "admits" they can't do it, that they're powerless over alcohol (and that their life is unmanageable - which you've seemed to allude to).

Heck, that's the hardest one yanno? and you've got it confirmed in your heart already. While it doesn't necessarily FEEL good, really.....it's great news..... if you're willing to keep moving forward.

100% recovery IS absolutely guaranteed and you don't have to wait for it, you don't have to even believe in your heart it's a sure thing........but you would be well served to give AA or NA a shot. You, like me, are the type of person those programs are designed for. And FWIW, NOBODY I've ever met was comfortable about going to their first handful of meetings...so you're far from alone in that one.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Namaste tigerlover . Will power did not work for me either, not for long anyway. Now I have something better than "my way".... allot better. Go to a couple AA meetings. It's at least possible you'll find something useful there. But try your best to keep a truly open mind. I remember my first meeting. I was impressed with the desire to help that I found there.