Notices

I was sober this Christmas! Were you?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Me too sober! First time in over 25 years! It felt wonderful!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes!!! Sober since June and the first Christmas sober since I was a child!

Woo Hooo
Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
Sober! Really just wanting the holidays to be past though. I know we're supposed to be all happy & grateful at Christmastime, but I just want to be done with this time of year I am very thankful for my sobriety It is the best thing ever.

I'm with you, MS......just want it all to be over. Seems like every year, I hate the holidays more and more.

Now to get thru New Years. Oh, I'll get thru it sober, but will also get thru it hating it. It's not that I hate not drinking. I just hate the holidays and "fakeness" that comes along with them. All of it can't be over fast enough for me.....ugh.

And yes, sober since 12/3/11, including Christmas Eve and Christmas.

A.M.L
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes I was. Passed the big test tonight - dinner with my Aunt and Uncle. I've always sort of looked up to my Uncle as a bit of a father figure in my life. He's a great guy but also a big drinker. I was worried that I'd feel the need to partake in our bonding ritual of Christmas' gone by - get loaded and make my wife drive home.

Well, I didn't. There were quite a few questions about why I wasn't drinking but no pressure to drink. Everyone was very supportive in fact - even though they did pour me a glass of wine at dinner...by accident.

I'm really glad that it went so well - for me and for them.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by TheDuke84 View Post
I'm about to start the detox process, and have been tapering down for a couple of weeks. I have read almost all the posts on detox of opiates, and to hear these posts are a great insperation. Thanks to all for all your help.
Hi Duke, good luck! I don't know anything about Opiate detox, sorry, but it sounds like you've done your research. Remember to keep checking in at the substance abuse forums, there's a wealth of knowledge there.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yep, stayed sober and grateful that I did not feel the need to pick up a drink despite the emotional roller coaster of the holidays!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR TheDuke
D
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sober!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Belive it or not me as well. And I douple BlueMoon in Bah Humbug I haven't liked the holidays since about 16 but they were a good excuse to get good and trashed before. Glad I didn't.

INH
Old 12-27-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

For the first time in many years I was sober this Christmas. No fuzzy memories, no brutal hangover the next day. Yet another important revelation that sober time with the family can be even more enjoyable in comparison.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, I was and it felt great! Just have to jump the New Year's Eve hurdle and the feeling that I "ought" to drink on that evening....
Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sober for the first time in years, felt: strange, happy, sad, confused, etc. on the one hand I want it, then I think it through and I don't. Minutes later and that process starts again! But I'm working on the staying in the moment and one day at a time stuff!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking 2 days before Christmas, I didn't want to miss my son waking up for Santa. On Christmas Eve my in-laws called by with wine and food, I was going through withdrawal (I know, everyone says see a doctor, I was dumb), I told them I had a virus, I certainly looked convincing, sweating and frail. Christmas day was pretty tough, I craved a drink, but I felt so bad I told myself "If I can get through today, tomorrow will be easier", I put as much effort into a family Christmas as I could, but my body was wrecked. The next day was worse, luckily my wife was at work, so I stayed in bed most of the time, took plenty of energy drinks and vitamins and water. Yesterday I was invited to an "open-bar", free booze and it was my birthday, in fairness, who can say no to that?
I did.
My friends were wondering "what's wrong?", I told my best friend about quitting, he was very supportive. This morning I woke up and the first thought was BEER!, the second thought was I WON'T DRINK TODAY.
Last night I didn't get much sleep, but feel rested enough, I had the sweats for about an hour before I got up, in comparison to the past few days it was a breeze, I'm looking forward to tonight. In the past I always said never again, now it's "not today" I think this is easier.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Pangur. In the next week or two you are certainly due to feel reeeally good for at least a little while. It will be followed by a craving or course but you're already used to those. Keep up the good work.

I spent Christmas the same way I have fifteen out of the last sixteen years, with my wife's family at their cabin at a ski resort. Raised poor in Florida, I have low tolerance for snow sports so I have always substituted drinking for skiing but this time I stayed totally sober. I saw my name on about six glasses of wine and a few beers and two or three cocktails. It was okay, though.

I had the weirdest drinking dream. I dreamed that I dreamed that I had a drink then drank then I woke up and it took a few minutes to realize that I was still sober. That AV is one sneaky SOB. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Tomorrow will be Day 60! There is no way I will let New Year's get in the way of cruising to day 90 and beyond. Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well done Pangur.
I was and will remain sober.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5.

Got steaming and belligerent last Friday....so I didn't have one drop on Christmas.

I can take one day at a time but I'm not sure I can see myself never having another drink in my life!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes I did, thanks for asking!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I made it through too..
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Felt great to be sober on Christmas. I have drank the last 5 Christmas's. Feeling better by the day.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

the holidays made me realize how much i was missing by drinking. i am 3 days sober now and so is my girlfriend. we are doing it together. look out new years! sobriety will win.