Notices

Why isn't alcoholism better understood?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
oak

I am very open with some people and less open with others. Often, my decision has to do more with how comfortable I feel with myself and with my own recovery. (Often, my internal thought is, "have I been sober long enough to sound credible?" I want to get away from that thought and just be more open- as scary as that sounds to me.)

I have not experienced bad reactions when I tell friends and colleagues that I'm sober. I do feel shame personally- which keeps me quiet sometimes. But other people either don't care much or are impressed that I am sober.

I also think the more we talk about addiction and sobriety, the more people's opinions of alcoholics and addicts will change. My hope is that people will have a broader view of what an alcoholic looks like if they know I am one. That reduces stigma and also could help other alcoholics/addicts get help.

So many people are hiding some secret (including non-addicts). If we were all open about everything, I think we'd be surprised at our common struggles.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alcoholics are scorned because they (we) have done scornful things.

It's hard to understand a disease that is "cunning, baffling and powerful"

I don't care too much what society thinks of me going to AA meetings.... I never cared if they saw me puking in the parking lot of the Bar.
Most people that knew me knew that I was a drunk, I'll tell any of them that I'm in AA.... most of them say "Keep it up, Bob, it seems to be working for you".

The 12 Steps of AA has given me the opportunity for a new life and I am going to grab and hang on with both hands.

I have, over the years, had many opportunities to help the suffering drunk because a family member or friend knew that I was in AA. I don't advertise it but I don't hide it either... I want AA to be easy to find for the newcomer !!

Bob R.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Why isn't society more aware and more supportive of this illness?
Because more than any other disease alcoholism hurts other people. Families fall apart, people die, children get hurt. And, why should anyone else cut us a break? We're completely responsible for all the actions and words we used to hurt others so badly.

I believe you have to earn the respect of others.

I only tell very close friends and family. It's no one's business. Non=alcoholics never comment that we're not drinking, they don't even notice.