Notices

oh the dizziness

Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

oh the dizziness

Everytime I stop drinking I get the strangest head sensations. It is difficult to describe, almost like I am drunk even though I am not. Part dizzy. Part foggy. Part dissociated. I don't know what is going on but it's discouraging. It makes me wonder why I am trying to stop drinking it the first place. I want to stop so that I can feel normal again. I give it a week and the head sensations continue. When will I feel healthy again? Ever? Or have I doomed myself to a lifetime of maddening vertigo/dizziness/whatever it is? Did anyone experience something similar...?
Please don't post and tell me to ask a doctor. I am looking for personal experience. Doctors don't know 90% of the time, and I am discouraged and tired of depending on them.
Thank you for your help, I am on the verge of giving up entirely. Life is painful. This is painful. I want to make life better, but stopping drinking doesn't seem to make it so.
help
Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Unfortunately, the rules of this site specifically state that we cannot give the type of advise you are asking for.

The symptoms you describe can only really be helped by seeing a Doctor, possibly a neurologist.

Please see a Dr and BE HONEST with what is going on.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jared

Like Laurie said, we're a peer support group - we can't take the place of Drs here.

It's for your benefit.

There could be any number of reasons for your dizziness - it would be irresponsible of anyone here to try and link their experience to yours, or try and diagnose you on the basis of one post.

If you are concerned - please do the responsible thing and see your Dr.

D
Old 12-23-2011, 12:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jared, I had those types of feelings too. Your minds so used to being drunk all the time, and right now its trying to adjust to being sober. The feelings can really mess with ya if you let them. I felt like a space cadet when I first got sober. My head would get tingly out of the blue, or id too feel dizzy just walking around. It feels like your going nuts! But don't worry, your not going nuts . You are simply readjusting, and it doesn't happen over night. How long these feelings will last is different for everyone. You might want to check out P.A.W.S. Just give it a quick google, and do a little research on that.

But trust me Jared, it may seem hard to deal with these feelings right now, but its all temporary. The payoff of regaining your sober mind is phenomenal! Right now you most likely forgot what its like to live sober, and forgot how good life used to be not drinking. I'm just about 8 months sober, and comparing my drinking days to how I feel now is just night and day! Once your over this initial hump, you will wonder why it took you so long to get sober because how much better you will feel!! Life does get better!

Stay Strong my friend!!

-Ryan
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One time I went on a very heavy drinking binge for about a month, after I stopped cold turkey it took nearly a week for me to get through the withdrawals, the dizziness and symptoms you described are similar to mine, except I was hallucinating and hearing things as well, couldnt sleep or eat, It was pure hell. I know you said not to tell you to see a doctor but if these symptoms persist for more then 2 weeks you really should see someone. good luck
Old 12-24-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sally1009

The only time I had the symptoms you are talking about are when I stopped or missed certain antidepressants. But everyone is different. I'm a binge drinker, so when I stop the withdrawals arent so intense, but I do get terrible anxiety and paranoia. I know doctors are often frustrating and limited regarding alcoholism, but you can have help for withdrawals in the form of a home detox. Where I live that usually means a course of Librium, which helps the withdrawals and the cravings. But it does need monitoring by a doctor.
I hope you feel better soon.