Notices

Do you have alcohol in the house?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hi,

Even i was benefited form AA , but chance are there that you will slip back to your original habit, But there is hope you should try to concentrate more on your work and other activities ( that is what i do ) i will keep on working or concentrate on something else and also attend AA meeting once a month and also try to help other who are addicted . one thing you can do is by setting goal in your life , You should set a short term goal like one week of not taking alcohol and once you are able to quit drinking for one week then extend the days I hope you got the point ,I think this forum will help you with more tips.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I have drank my roommates' alcohol on many a desperate night (they have since moved on), I paid them back as mentioned above, buying more & more & more to replace what I took. Wiped them out of drink completely on a couple of nights.
Anyway, at 3 month sober I don't have any around, don't want it around unless a friend comes over that brings their own and leaves with it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Have some beer left over from making corned beef. Thankfully doesn't interest me. My boyfriend may drink it or we may end up throwing it out if it sits long enough.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Muunray; I've done that twice making beer-batter for my deep fried chicken, turned out great, but I have to dump what's left of the can.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No, we don't have alcohol in the house. My husband is in recovery too, but it's early days for both of us (4 months sober) and while neither of us are obsessing about alcohol any more, I don't think it's a good idea to surround ourselves with temptation.

We've had friends over for dinner etc since we started recovery, and are happy for them to drink. We'll even buy the booze and pour it for them while they're here - we like to be the genial hosts! But once they've left, we pour the leftovers down the drain.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

We have wine, beer and scotch in the house. My husband is a non-alcoholic.
He's the type who opens a bottle of wine and it lasts for weeks, whereas in my drinking days it would have been gone in an hour.

Him having an ocassional drink doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes, not all the time, the smell bothers me. It's the same way if I'm out to dinner with a group of people and they're drinking wine... sometimes the smell of it is just awful.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We have a house fully stocked for the holidays since we are hosting so many guests that flew in yesterday.
Toughest thing to do is watch everyone drink.
After the holidays I will ask my wife to lock it up somewhere, or give it away.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm still in the early stages of recovery, so I am not keeping alcohol in the house, as this is where I used to do my drinking.

I once had a 12 pack of beer in the house. I would drink only one beer a day, but I did that every day until the beer was gone. It showed me that as long as their is alcohol in the house, I will drink it.

My son is home for the holidays from college and if he asks for beer in the house, I plan to tell him no.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My husband drinks (and brews beer, too) so there is always something. I don't want to drink anymore though so it's not an issue.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My roommate has a full liquor stock. He and I used to always do shots when we got home from work. Now on different schedules I don't have to worry about him asking if I want a shot, which I also told him before my schedule changed to not ask me, but now I am home alone during the day. It's tough not just grabbing a bottle, so I try to stay busy! I am considering a change of residence very soon to remove the temptation. My palms sweat when I pass the cabinet & willpower only lasts for so long before I do grab that bottle!!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have a bottle I got from the drug store. I use it to clean my vaporizer.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

@thisisme groan
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I wont have any yet. Too dangerous in relatively early sobriety. There is always the 'screw it' factor, which has been my undoing in the past, so why take the risk?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
High on Life

We have alcohol in the house, but nobody drinks it here. It's for people when they come over. It doesn't bother me if people drink when they come over, just because I can't drink, doesn't mean the whole world has to live by my rules. I imagine though that my partner will eventually go back to drinking at some point, as he doesn't think he has a problem, but that will be his problem not mine.

At the end of the month we will be resurrecting our annual Holiday Party complete with a bartender. I don't see this as a problem, I stopped drinking, but the world must go on.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't keep alcohol in the house and we never serve alcohol in our house.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Frankly, I don't know. Sometimes there are a few beers in the fridge, but I don't keep track.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Interesting thread! We have alcohol in the house and I was very worried about this at first. I talked with my dad about it, who's got 26 years sober, and he said to make sure my program is STRONG, and then not to worry about it. That it's excellent "training" for being out in the real world where you can't control what others do around you, only your reaction.
All that said, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it to anyone, it's hard at times. Especially because it's my drink of choice, wine. But for me, this is not about willpower, so avoidance won't help me. It's about loving myself enough to live my life, and knowing myself enough to know that alcohol is simply not part of my life anymore. Have I looked at those bottles as I walk in and out of the kitchen, (hangs head in shame) yes, I have. But I have tools now that I didn't have before, I have people, and meetings, and SR, and options other than wine. And that leaves me feeling really good.
Now all of that said, I'd like nothing more than for my husband to magically come home one day and toss it all out and say he's done drinking too! I'm coming to believe he's at least a heavy binge drinker if not an alcoholic binge drinker. And sometimes it smells so bad I'd like to bop him!!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don't have any alcohol in my house.
I don't want anyone drinking in my house either.
My space is mine and I simply do not want any alcohol around.
Others can drink as much as they want to.. it just won't be in my home.
If people aren't comfortable with that, they don't have to come here and that's fine with me.
Even after almost 5 months sober I am scared of relapse.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3215237