Notices

Not sure how to title this...

Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how to title this...

I guess I'll introduce myself. I'm Rob, I'm 29 and I've been sober since the 6th of December. My habit was 6-12+ beers a day, every day (I made it through lent this year sober but it didn't last) for the last 4ish years.

I should mention the reason I'm posting here is because of the problems I've been having, which I pray to god are because of alcohol, since I stopped drinking.

I've had off and on panic attacks for a while now, they've only been happening to me in my life since I've been drinking. I finally had enough, decided no more alcohol and quit.

I had a semi-rough couple of days at first then things got worse and now they're really bad.

I'm constantly anxious and panicky. I'm also depressed like I've never been before. Like no hope depressed. Like I've actually been sad enough that I've cried, uncontrollably for about 20-30 minutes the last 3 days running. I sometimes wonder how I can go on.

Let me be clear and say I AM NOT SUICIDAL. I have a wife, daughter and a son on the way, I could never do that to them.

My appetite is pretty close to zero though I'm forcing myself to eat. I'm constantly nauseous.

I've had a few nights of really restless sleep. I can usually fall asleep but have trouble staying asleep.

I'm here because I'm desperate to know if this stuff sounds like expected withdrawal symptoms? I know they can be different for everyone and I know they sound serious, believe me they are. I just want to know if these are anything people have gone through before, how long they lasted for you and any advice you can give.

I keep telling myself that theres no way I could be this bad off after only 4 years of drinking.

I started seeing a shrink on Monday, I've seen him in the past but I'm not sure if he's really the one I should be asking for advice on substance abuse and withdrawal. I have a call into him and I'm hoping he'll call me back soon.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not getting much feedback on this...are you. So you have 2 weeks sober...That's a rough time....You drink like I did for many years...Although the last couple went from 6-12 to 18-24...Nonstop...Morning till I passed out. I detoxed for five days...Librium and something else....Something for sleep...So half the time you have...I didn't get out of bed. Two weeks later the drugs started wearing off and I started to clear up a little....Anxiety....I've always had that...Been good for a panic attack or two. Depression...I think that was more fear based because I was clueless of what to do. And that was freaking me out. I got turned on to AA in rehab and I felt some hope. I threw myself into it...I'l be damed if it didn't work....So I'm pretty happy now...Sober and drug free. I guess in your case...If it's bothering you that much...Get some medical advice...Maybe they'll recommend something for you...Maybe the shrink will...Whatever you do...Be honest with them...Bullshitting the doctor isn't going to help anyone.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rob

I think the emotional rollercoaster ride is pretty much normal for early recovery, complete with unexplained crying jags and wild mood swings.

Most people find they level out.

I was a heavy drinker for a long time - the anxiety lessened but persisted - I eventually sought some counselling.

Don't be hesitant to see your Dr/shrink if you're concerned too. Be honest and open about the problem - it's the best way to get help

I found the thing about drinking to deal with anxiety is it actually exacerbates the problem - we become used to our 'medicine' and then when we don't get it? Anxiety ensues....

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-21-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crying is good. I hope the doctor gives you some meds for the depression. I'm on them, they work. Keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hang in there, Vig. Welcome to SR too You'll get great support here, as well as loads of info.

I quit this time with advice from my doctor (so on meds for withdrawal). It wasn't hellish, but it wasn't nice. The sleep problems persisted for a long time, at least 10 weeks and I believe I got off lightly compared to most people. Random depression, bouts of anger and vast stretches of apathy... combined with intense happiness, pride, joy - it all came in fits and starts. I'm still being challenged by my brain as I learn to think without alcohol.

Remember though - even if someone else has gone through exactly the same symptoms as you, doesn't mean that you will have the same end result (eg just because they came through without medical complications doesn't ensure that you won't). Don't be afraid to see your doctor when things are getting hairy.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I called off today at work. Couldn't bring myself to go in there and act "normal" when I've just got no energy for it.

Last night was the worst night for sleep thus far though I did get some sleep. Emotionally, I'm a mess and I've never felt this crappy in my life.

I wondered how I went 40 days (lent) earlier this year without any real issues and my wife reminded me I was on Zoloft at the time. I remember only being edgy for a day or two and thats about it.

I've started another Zoloft prescription which I got from the shrink on Monday but it'll be a while before it's actually effective. In the mean time I've been able to make an appointment with my general practitioner and it's time I'm truthful with him about my drinking and get some help.

I'm a bit worried about taking any benzos as I don't want to end up addicted to those but I do need some kind of relief. Drinking isn't an option anymore, I'm too worried about how my body would react to it in this state and how I would feel after.

I'll also be be posting here regularly. It just helps...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meow

Come join us in the December thread in the newcomers area.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Everyones timeline is different...I developed anxiety and panic attacks and depression from drinking. When I quit and got therapy everything all balanced out eventually. I hope your experience is similar

Hang out on SR whenever you feel like you need support...we are here 24/7. You are more likely to find someone in Newcomers though which would be an awesome place to post an intro ifyou want to meet people
Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys.

An update on my condition...

Went and saw the doctor yesterday. They changed up the medication I'm on for depression and gave me something for sleep (non benzo). Today, I honestly feel better. Far better than I've felt in the last 2 weeks. They also took blood to check my liver, vitamins, thyroid and so on. My blood pressure was surprisingly good for someone who drinks I was told. They don't think all this has to do with my drinking but I do. I think the alcohol took a mild depression/anxiety issue I had and made it 1000x worse.

Today I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time. I'm actually excited about the holiday. I'm also glad I'm not drinking anymore. I know I'll still have cravings but I have a good support system in my wife who is a non-drinker.

If someone reads this and is dealing with a lot of panic and/or depression I beg of you to see your doctor. I truly felt like I had no hope and did have suicidal thoughts and there is help out there, all you have to do is ask. You are not alone.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well done Vig, you're an inspiration! It shows a lot of strength and conviction to follow things up the way that you are.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better today