Notices

Would like to know what people think of this.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would like to know what people think of this.

The thought of drinking hasn't really entered my mind in the last 5 days. I feel good. It seems when I get good I do something stupid and start drinking. I have no physical withdrawal from alcohol when I stop and when I do go on a binge I'm usually to sick to drink. Headaches and anxiety come to mind the next few days so my hangover is kind of like withdrawing for the next couple days then back to normal the third, fourth or fifth day. The thing is I can moderate although hard to do i sometimes do it. It's a decision I make.

I move into my own place in a month and have been kept occupied by preparing to move out as I'm still at home. It's taken alot of time to be able to finally make the move 30 years in fact but my thinking is clear and have not been reading or posting on the forum these last 5 days maybe out of the excitement and complete life changing event of moving.

I consider myself an alcoholic in the sense that I have drank alot of beer over the years, binged and had my fair share of trouble . At the moment I have no desire to drink. I think with the struggles of mental health I have had over the years and the fight for total independence by moving out have been my main struggles and obstacles in my drinking career and life. The thought of I can't make it mentally if I moved out on my own has always been on my mind this in turn moves into the thoughts of this may never happen to bugger it I'm going to drink.

All I have ever wanted is a place of my own and now that I'm getting that the thought of drinking looks very foolish and uninteresting. I'm more interested now in improving all aspects of my life and there has been a definite change in me i can feel it. I've even gone as far as deciding to never associate with certain bad influencing people. Which I have never really done before. I'm in the best mental health I have been in my whole adult life.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

take it One day at a time checkmate! sounds like you are figuring things out..
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

don't be afraid to be happy with your accomplishments. Do you think you are labeling yourself which hinders your success? Everyone has fears and thoughts of "what if". i like to think that everyone also has hope.

You are doing something you've wanted to do for a while. You are moving forward and don't even want to drink. things could even get BETTER for you.

congrats on being happy with your life.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on your decision to stay sober. There is a lot of support here.

I was struck by this though:

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I have no physical withdrawal from alcohol when I stop and when I do go on a binge I'm usually to sick to drink. Headaches and anxiety come to mind the next few days so my hangover is kind of like withdrawing for the next couple days then back to normal the third, fourth or fifth day.
Hey, that IS withdrawal. A hangover itself is alcohol withdrawal. There maybe some advanced withdrawal symptoms you haven't gotten yet - shakes, seizures, hallucinations - but trust me you are experiencing alcohol withdrawal. Withdrawals only get worse, never better, over time.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
I'm more interested now in improving all aspects of my life and there has been a definite change in me i can feel it. I've even gone as far as deciding to never associate with certain bad influencing people. Which I have never really done before. I'm in the best mental health I have been in my whole adult life.
Wonderful, checkmate. I'm happy for you.